Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 03:06 PM

20 posts, read 11,848 times

Advertisements

I’ve been at places where people were bad at the job and they never got fired. And people that were good never got promoted and all this favoritism. Jobs were coworkers talked bad about me, I never got fired at them and ended up quitting. Am I being paranoid, lazy management or maybe I’m doing badly?i
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2019, 08:54 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Few possibilities:
- you are quitting your jobs for no reason
- you aren't showing any leadership potential
- you are not that great at your job as you think
- you create/attract gossip and unwelcomed atmosphere at work
- you don't speak up or take initiative
- there is no position or you don't qualify
- you lack professionalism
There might be more reasons, though.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:08 AM

1,210 posts, read 888,476 times
If you don’t get fired or warned at a job, does that necessarily mean you’re doing good?

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsg1194 View Post
Am I being paranoid, lazy management or maybe I’m doing badly?i
Maybe.
Mod cut.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-07-2019 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Copyrighted image.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
It means that management is inept.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:50 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,405,904 times
If your manager isn’t providing it, then maybe you need to ask for feedback on how you’re doing. Hopefully, they’ll be honest.

But, no. If you’re not fired, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing a good job. Management just doesn’t want to fire you. It takes time and money to find and onboard new employees. A lot don’t want to go through the process of hiring someone else so they keep the employee on.

My coworker has been with us a year and a half and she’s clearly incompetent. I think my manager is trying to “develop” her and help her grow into the position. I don’t think they fire anyone for low performance where I am.

Old 08-07-2019, 10:02 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
It means that management is inept.
This. A lot of people get promoted into supervisory/management positions, who don't belong there. Also, bad managers are easily manipulated by employees who toot their own horn, as if they're actually achieving something, when in fact they're only performing minimally, if that. So if you're one of those "quietly competent" types, no one will notice you.

OTOH, what kind of a promotion have you been looking for in these instances? If it was to a supervisory or team-lead position, did you demonstrate leadership ability and people skills? If the positions you sought were purely about job skills and expertise, did you make it known you were looking to move up?

Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
In large organizations, you can often stay off the radar. I do what I'm supposed to do and work closely with my manager, but I don't want to be so well known that I become the "go-to" guy for everything.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:24 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,849,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
If your manager isn’t providing it, then maybe you need to ask for feedback on how you’re doing. Hopefully, they’ll be honest.

But, no. If you’re not fired, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re doing a good job. Management just doesn’t want to fire you. It takes time and money to find and onboard new employees. A lot don’t want to go through the process of hiring someone else so they keep the employee on.

My coworker has been with us a year and a half and she’s clearly incompetent. I think my manager is trying to “develop” her and help her grow into the position. I don’t think they fire anyone for low performance where I am.
This.

a.) as mentioned it takes a good bit of investment time and money wise to hire and train someone new. Where I work I am probably average at best but I wear multiple hats within the organization so getting rid of me would in essence require management to hire and train either someone just like me who can do all 4 roles or hire 4 new people to fulfill all 4 roles.

b.) often times doing good can mean simply showing up. (My summer job has me managing anywhere from 16-20 teenagers a day and to be honest if they show up that puts them in the good category. Finding reliable labor especially reliable teenage labor can be difficult at time)

c.) Some managers operate on the does this employee make my job more or less difficult mentality (In fact I'd wager many are like this). I'm not a great high school teacher by any means but rarely does my asst. principal ever get phone calls on me from parents and rarely is there any reason for them to even come into my classroom (good or bad). Managers will describe this work place as trying to let you be independent and get your job done, critics will say its just management being lazy. In both cases they're correct. I taught at a school where I was NEVER observed for an entire year (not even a quick sneak peak by an administrator) and when I left I asked why? Building principal said nobody does observations because if they see anything bad then they have to report it and that would require doing work from management's end.

Management likes to sit in their office and play online poker all day. If you make them work be it for good or bad reasons it does not matter, you'll feel the wrath.

Just show up and stay mediocre my friends.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:42 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsg1194 View Post
If you don’t get fired or warned at a job, does that necessarily mean you’re doing good?

Are OTHERS there being fired or disciplined?

Old 08-12-2019, 11:12 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,225,838 times
Why quit such a job? You're doing your job and are not getting yelled at which means you're someone they don't have to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment