Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 07:53 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times

Advertisements

Well, this seems like one of the less argumentative boards. Perhaps I can bring up a controversial topic. Are you pro union? If so, why? If not, why? This seems to be a hot topic in my work place right now so I'm just interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 08:23 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
I work for UPS and belong to the Teamsters Union. All I can say is I feel good when I goto bed at night knowing I have a stable job, high wage, good benefits, and pension unlike most people. Oh and I enjoy waking up at 4am to goto work.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
As a Republican union member, I don't agree with most of the issues my union gets involved with. Minimum wage for an example. Minimum wage jobs are meant for unskilled workers to get some experience, and then move on. They are not meant to raise families. By getting involved in the push to raise the minimum wage, my union dragged my wages down by closing the gap.

Unions get a bad rap by people who believe that they do nothing but protect the slugs, and make huge demands on the company. We do have a couple of slugs, but we eventually get rid of them. I belong to the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. We haven't made any demands on the company in the 20 years I have been there. We are fighting a losing battle to keep what we already have.

Which brings me to my final point. Companies fight dirty. Any company that has a union, has done something in the past to deserve that union.

I agree with the Teamster above. I do have a little peace of mind knowing that I won't be fired just because of some arbitrary reason. Though, they did manage to take my pension.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:47 AM

732 posts, read 4,157,759 times
it is true, the Union keeps the slow workers the same as it keeps the good ones.

sorry to here about your pension. Who did you work for?

Old 10-30-2007, 10:24 AM

9,526 posts, read 30,477,668 times
Depends on the profession. For white-collar professionals, I feel that a union would reduce competition and depress wages. For other professions, especially where you have large, similarly-skilled workforces and relatively few, large & powerful employers, it seems to make sense.

Old 10-30-2007, 04:05 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
IF Unions were a true brotherhood and stuck together like they claim to...possibly I might have less of a problem with them......
True Story.
1972 Las Vegas NV....Teamsters Internation Convention...roy Williams was running for control....I thing the Sec/Treasurer but dont remember for sure.
I was working for a Cab company in LV that was, coincidently, on strike...so I was a full fledged scab.
I pulled up at the front of the Las Vegas Convention Center and 4 gentlemen stepped into the cab....I VERY politely said....Mr. Williams....I feel that I should tell you that this Company is on strike and I am a non union driver...the next two cabs behind me are Union Drivers and not on strike.
He said.....I don't give a damn....take me to the International [Las Vegas Hilton 200 yards away]

Brotherhood.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:08 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Unions had a critical role in decades past, but I believe they have outlived their usefulness, except for maybe a couple of very specific industries like Meat Packing.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:39 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,113,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1215 View Post
Unions had a critical role in decades past, but I believe they have outlived their usefulness, except for maybe a couple of very specific industries like Meat Packing.
Also mining.....I totally agree.....

Old 10-30-2007, 08:40 PM

2,589 posts, read 10,556,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
Also mining.....I totally agree.....
I also agree on mining....

Meat Packing and Mining.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:14 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
It's been my idea that a union can be good and bad. I think that a lot of people I work with don't have it in their heart to go on strike, so for now, I oppose the union. The fundamental bargaining chip that a union has, the sole basis for its' argument is "We will go on strike if..." That's it. That's what the union has over a company. Yes, they have bargaining arrangements set up, but when I ask people at work if they're willing to go on strike for the same reasons they are joining the union, the typical answer is "No, I don't want to go on strike I just want to get what's owed to me." Well, that's fine, I understand, but what makes you think that you won't have to go on strike to get that? Not only that, but some companies just can't support all of the union demands. I think that the strike GM had a few weeks ago probably hurt the company in the long run. Sure, the workers may get what they asked for, or at least some part of it, but what's it going to do to the company in 5,10,15 years? When a company isn't strong, the last thing it needs is its' workers going on strike.

I'm not completely anti-union, but I'm also not completely pro-union. I know what crappy is because I came from it. My company is not crappy. In fact, it's almost too laid back.

When workers need to go on strike is when they are getting so highly ripped off that it wouldn't matter if they went on strike. They shouldn't be striking (or even pulling for a union) if their pension changes. The way I look at it, I am 25 years old, if I can't save enough money, pension or otherwise, to successfully retire in 30-35 years, than I shouldn't be thinking about collecting my pension in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment