Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM

2,713 posts, read 5,339,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
At my job, my group has this agreement that we can work from home one day a week. Our mainly handles database design and support. Since our group is so small, it's fairly easy to alternate days. However, people outside of work tend to look down on me a bit when they know (I don't necessarily tell everyone) I remote in one day a week. They say that I must have a joke job or that it's bad for my long term career because I won't be near the most powerful people.

However, there are a few reasons why it's very justifiable to work from home.

- I can start earlier and leave later. I'm not subject to transportation issues so for those early 830 meetings, I can easily call in on time.
- My company is dispersed across the US. Most people we deal with work in different buildings or states. Our actual office space is in a fairly secluded area. Whether we're working from home or in the office, most people we interact with don't do so in person. That's why we have phones.
- Obvious reasons like if I have a doctor's appointment or need to get something done at a place that doesn't have hours on the weekends, etc.
- My commute is 90 minutes each way so working from home not only breaks up the week a bit but also makes arguably the worst part of the job (the commute) bearable.

Technology has improved over the past 10 years and I think working from home seems to be a bit more common now, but for some reason, many people oppose it. Is it just caveman mentality and that the ones who oppose it are too old-school? Or are there any other valid reasons? Fear of unproductiveness is a legitimate issue, but there are ways to see that .
I don't get why you needed to justify the benefits of working from home. Some things work for some people/companies and some do not. Maybe the people that you say are "looking down on you" work in jobs where offsite work is just not possible and they are unable to disconnect from their own reality and see that in other cases it may be beneficial.

As for feeling guilty, that's all on you. You cannot control what other people say to you but you can control whether or not it affects you on an emotional level. Who are these "people outside of work" that tell you that you have a joke job? Friends? The person behind the counter at Starbucks? Who has the power to make you feel guilty about working from home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:35 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,378,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Ryback View Post
At my job, my group has this agreement that we can work from home one day a week. Our mainly handles database design and support. Since our group is so small, it's fairly easy to alternate days. However, people outside of work tend to look down on me a bit when they know (I don't necessarily tell everyone) I remote in one day a week. They say that I must have a joke job or that it's bad for my long term career because I won't be near the most powerful people.

However, there are a few reasons why it's very justifiable to work from home.

- I can start earlier and leave later. I'm not subject to transportation issues so for those early 830 meetings, I can easily call in on time.
- My company is dispersed across the US. Most people we deal with work in different buildings or states. Our actual office space is in a fairly secluded area. Whether we're working from home or in the office, most people we interact with don't do so in person. That's why we have phones.
- Obvious reasons like if I have a doctor's appointment or need to get something done at a place that doesn't have hours on the weekends, etc.
- My commute is 90 minutes each way so working from home not only breaks up the week a bit but also makes arguably the worst part of the job (the commute) bearable.

Technology has improved over the past 10 years and I think working from home seems to be a bit more common now, but for some reason, many people oppose it. Is it just caveman mentality and that the ones who oppose it are too old-school? Or are there any other valid reasons? Fear of unproductiveness is a legitimate issue, but there are ways to see that .

You commute is horrible! Would be nice to work from home more than once per week.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:39 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,180,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well family members aren't exactly people to cut ties with if they don't think you work much. Plus if you never feel guilty no need to cut ties with those friends.
Sometimes they are peope to cut ties with but feeling guilt is a choice.

There are many reasons other than feeling guilt to cut ties with "friends". I wouldn't want friends who are jealous of my situation (it's a free world with equal opportunites for all - some just fail to take them and blame others for it). I would cut ties with winers, or those that don't take responsibility for their lives etc.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:42 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,992,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Well family members aren't exactly people to cut ties with if they don't think you work much. Plus if you never feel guilty no need to cut ties with those friends.
I didn't say I would cut ties with them. But I can guarantee they wouldn't say it again. It is insulting. I wouldn't take that from anyone.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:51 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,648,107 times
Nope, my company is half and half. People are sometimes jealous that I have the luxury and they don't, but never have made me feel badly for it.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:13 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,071,307 times
I never felt guilty about it. I've worked from home (self made business though) and just felt like a complete bada**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment