Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 01:54 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times

Advertisements

OP: I'd also like to add that the question you don't know the answer to is this: Is he getting done what his boss wants him to get done? If the answer is yes, none of your complaints will matter in the least. If the answer is no, he will eventually be replaced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,298,702 times
As a manager of people, let me give you some advice;

If you have ideas or projects that could help the company/group, by all means please present them. The best approach for presenting them is not by pointing out the flaws in everything I've been doing, but what the benefits are. Some things that are done are sometimes done because they have to be, not because they're the best way or the most efficient. You may not have the full picture given your role that lets you make that judgement.

As far as time goes, it's not your problem or business. If I come and go as I please it's one of the perks that I have, and it probably goes hand in hand with all the extra things I get to do in my "off time". If MY boss has an issue with my time or performance, they'll be sure to let me know, no different than I do with you.

It goes without saying that if you're spending all your time tracking me, who is doing your work? You best make sure you're lily white before you start a mud slinging contest, and be aware, if every minute of my time gets hammered, things have a tendency to trickle down. So those being late/Dr. appointments/Friday of a long weekend tend to vanish, and it's likely your co-workers will figure out why rather quickly.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:46 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,172,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
As a manager of people, let me give you some advice;

If you have ideas or projects that could help the company/group, by all means please present them. The best approach for presenting them is not by pointing out the flaws in everything I've been doing, but what the benefits are. Some things that are done are sometimes done because they have to be, not because they're the best way or the most efficient. You may not have the full picture given your role that lets you make that judgement.

As far as time goes, it's not your problem or business. If I come and go as I please it's one of the perks that I have, and it probably goes hand in hand with all the extra things I get to do in my "off time". If MY boss has an issue with my time or performance, they'll be sure to let me know, no different than I do with you.

It goes without saying that if you're spending all your time tracking me, who is doing your work? You best make sure you're lily white before you start a mud slinging contest, and be aware, if every minute of my time gets hammered, things have a tendency to trickle down. So those being late/Dr. appointments/Friday of a long weekend tend to vanish, and it's likely your co-workers will figure out why rather quickly.
I certainly wouldn't get involved with this. Your boss may come in every Saturday (when it is quieter) and work a full day in "exchange" for his long lunches and leaving early. Or maybe, most of those long lunches are business related. Or your boss does a few hours of computer work at home after his kids are asleep. You don't know.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:59 PM

300 posts, read 1,137,088 times
I would be afraid that your boss maybe kissing butt to the supervisor so I wouldn't say anything. Just do your job to the best of your ability and if you want keep looking for other jobs.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:40 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,898 times
I agree to leave it alone. If your boss is telling you to do something you are unsure of, address it with HIM. Like today when my boss told me to delete within 30 documents one reference, and change it to another. I did not think that correct so I just asked if he were sure because the second reference didn't have what the first reference had. So now he's looking into it, so far the answer he has received is to not change it. Course now there is a meeting about it! lol

Avoids me AND him looking bad by just bringing it up to him, IMO it's more respectful too.

Also, don't worry about others do, unless it's something like blatantly stealing company property or selling company secrets to another company, you LEAVE IT ALONE.

Me personally I hate snitches and if you do this you will either 1- get fired, or 2- be blackballed and nobody will trust you again, specially if everybody likes your boss.

Last edited by beera; 05-29-2013 at 03:49 PM..

Old 05-29-2013, 05:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,056,537 times
Agreed. Leave it alone.

A salaried person is not paid by the hour, but by the job. A flexible schedule is one of the benefits.

I do put in hours on the weekend and at home in the evenings. Some of my lunches are business lunches. Yes, they may take two hours, but if I land a contract/make a sale/negotiate better terms/solve a problem/whatever it is well worth it.

It is possible your boss is running work related errands on the way to work or after work.

As far as his superiors are concerned he is performing well as long as the job gets done. How it gets done is why he was hired in the first place.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:44 PM

392 posts, read 704,517 times
The only time it would be right to "snitch" on a boss is if he is putting his workers in unsafe and physically harmful situations. I've seen many an incompetent manager dismissed for this.
In this case, it is the duty of the employees to throw the manager under the bus.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:53 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Yeah, just leave it alone OP.

And by all means I'm not defending the boss or the supervisor. They're probably total D-Bags in fact.

But this is for your sake. People are vengeful, and they will come after you if you step on their toes.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 PM

23,552 posts, read 24,064,911 times
Complain only if you are ready to get "terminated" or can leave for another job.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:03 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,160,229 times
I can't believe everyone agrees. I'm not sure I've ever seen that happen before in this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment