Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2021, 02:41 PM

39 posts, read 22,436 times

Advertisements

Been with my company almost 2 years. Found out recently 2 of the 3 people on my team are making 50k more a year than me. They have been with the company 10 years and I had more experience in the field when I started. Even if I stay at the company 15 years, I will never catch up to their current salary.

One coworker got tired of working in our development team, so the responsibility was shifted to me, which adds about 15 hours a week into my 40 hour workload.

I am looking for other jobs now. Just dumbfounded. I negotiated to the top of what they said was the top salary range when I started. So aggravated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2021, 03:42 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,210 posts, read 80,369,332 times
I don't understand the problem that is perfectly normal. When a position has a set salary range, most people start near the bottom of that range and get a raise every year, either based on the cost of living, or based o performance. I would always expect someone there for 10 years to be making far more than someone there only 2 years, regardless of previous experience. I would not expect you to ever catch up with them until they retire, because if you all get a 5% raise every year they will always maintain their higher pay. The only way for a newer employee to pass up their peers with longer seniority is to be promoted above them. Among my staff I have one person that I hired 6 years ago making $84,000, and a new one starting in October making $53,000.

Now if your company does not have fixed salary ranges and can give anyone whatever amount they want, it becomes a matter of negotiation when hired, and asking for an increase after proving your value to the company over the first couple of years.

Old 11-12-2021, 03:54 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,734,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporatelife View Post

I am looking for other jobs now. Just dumbfounded. I negotiated to the top of what they said was the top salary range when I started. So aggravated!
You're kidding right? They've been there Ten years longer then you and they make more? Well heavens to Betsy. Maybe you should realize it's not only knowledge, but time in job that makes the paychecks get bigger.

But you do you, that's all I'll say

Old 11-12-2021, 04:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,087,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
You're kidding right? They've been there Ten years longer then you and they make more? Well heavens to Betsy. Maybe you should realize it's not only knowledge, but time in job that makes the paychecks get bigger.

While true, I think it's becoming less true at least in certain industries where your salary is more closely linked to your current skill set. There's a couple issues here.

1. Is their salary above market value or is yours below market value? They may be locked into their job if their salary is way above market value due to tenure. No one else would ever pay them that. If yours is below market value then you might ask for a market adjustment or seek other offers.

2. How do you know for sure what they make? Don't go by what someone claims. And most companies don't condone salary sharing so you shouldn't use their salaries as the basis for an increase.

3. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The salary you will get anywhere is the salary you can require and negotiate. You negotiated the best salary you could with this company. Were you happy with it before you "found out" co-workers made more?

Old 11-12-2021, 04:49 PM

What I am saying is it would take me about 17 years to make what they are making now. I am not saying I expect to catch up to them one day. They are 50 percent higher for 8 more years of service. I received 2.5 percent for an exceeds expectations rating on my review. I am working 60 hour weeks now due to the responsibility of one job taken away from a high earner and given to me. If I thought I could make what they are making now in 8 more years or even remotely close I would be happy with that.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:52 PM

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The salary you will get anywhere is the salary you can require and negotiate. You negotiated the best salary you could with this company. Were you happy with it before you "found out" co-workers made more?

I negotiated for the top of the range they offered. They have down sized our team from 8-4 people. They are not replacing people when they leave. So if I had known that I was expected to work 60 hour weeks at that salary I would definitely have not accepted at that salary. I started looking around before I found out what my coworkers are making.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
While true, I think it's becoming less true at least in certain industries where your salary is more closely linked to your current skill set. There's a couple issues here.

1. Is their salary above market value or is yours below market value? They may be locked into their job if their salary is way above market value due to tenure. No one else would ever pay them that. If yours is below market value then you might ask for a market adjustment or seek other offers.

2. How do you know for sure what they make? Don't go by what someone claims. And most companies don't condone salary sharing so you shouldn't use their salaries as the basis for an increase.

3. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. The salary you will get anywhere is the salary you can require and negotiate. You negotiated the best salary you could with this company. Were you happy with it before you "found out" co-workers made more?
I believe my salary is below market for the additional responsibilities I have been given that were not discussed at my interview.

Old 11-12-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post

But you do you, that's all I'll say
Eight years longer. I still would not make what they are making now in 17 years based on what was given to me for the highest rating possible on an evaluation. If I thought I could make what they are now in 8 more years I would be happy with that. They had additional responsibilities which have been given to me, tremendously increasing my workload to 60 hour weeks. No way would I have accepted knowing this. Also our team is half the size, with the same amount of work needed to get done.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:41 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,734,978 times
Did it occur to you they probably were hired at a higher rate of pay, could be the company was desperate for such people and they came at the right time.

Now that they have caught up, got squared away, the newcomers aren't as valuable as the old timers.

Old 11-12-2021, 05:49 PM

12,694 posts, read 9,199,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporatelife View Post
Been with my company almost 2 years. Found out recently 2 of the 3 people on my team are making 50k more a year than me. They have been with the company 10 years and I had more experience in the field when I started. Even if I stay at the company 15 years, I will never catch up to their current salary.

One coworker got tired of working in our development team, so the responsibility was shifted to me, which adds about 15 hours a week into my 40 hour workload.

You didn't say how you compare with training and degrees to the other workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment