Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:54 PM

28 posts, read 51,572 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all, so I graduated from college a month ago and have been searching for jobs and hoping to find some that pay $30,000-$40,000/yr. Well, most of the jobs that I've been getting phone interviews/in person interviews for are more like $11/hour full time (but with benefits).

Now... my question is... these $11/hour jobs are about 4-8 hours away from my parents home so I would have to find my own apartment and be paying for rent, I probably wouldn't be able to start saving money like I've been hoping to do. Is it worth it for me to take one of these jobs and be kinda broke for a year to gain full-time professional experience while I search for another job that will pay me more?

Or, should I just keep living at home, working part time, and try to find something else that pays more?

Would having the full time experience (though low paying) added to my resume help me find something else? Or would it not really matter?

Is it realistically feasible to be searching for another job while working full time?

My parents don't think I should accept anything less than $35,000/yr, and though I know that's about average right now for college grads, and I am applying for positions within that range, I'm not having any luck.

Thanks for any insight, I'm so confused right now, so it's very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:19 PM

49 posts, read 162,834 times
What is your degree and in what field? $35,000/year sounds pretty low for any college grad, unless you're in an area of the country with a deflated cost of living.

I myself also just graduated college and am in the process of moving 800 miles away from home to start my new job...you have to go where the money is. High taxes have driven companies from my home state in droves.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:22 PM

382 posts, read 664,066 times
SunshineandSeminoles, all my hopes towards you so you wouldn't have to face one year plus of looking for gainful employment. My advice is take on anything which comes around, whether it being retail or landscaping I know it sounds silly but employers likely prefer people whom likely have jobs already over someone who is unemployed - who knows prove me wrong!

Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIBuckHunter View Post
What is your degree and in what field? $35,000/year sounds pretty low for any college grad, unless you're in an area of the country with a deflated cost of living.

I myself also just graduated college and am in the process of moving 800 miles away from home to start my new job...you have to go where the money is. High taxes have driven companies from my home state in droves.
My degree is in Economics, but my past work experience is in retail (part time for the last 6 years). I currently live in the Southeast (wouldn't mind staying down here).

I'm just so confused... is it worth it to take a super low paying job to just get your foot in the door?

My friends who I've asked are 50/50 split. And my family is really against it (I think because they want me to live at home forever.........................).

Also, though my degree is in Econ I've been looking for jobs in communications, PR, event planning, hospitality, etc. So I haven't been applying to any econ related jobs.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:26 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
I wouldn't move 4-8 hours away for $11 an hour. Unless you are living in places where rent is $400 a month or something! BUT I don't agree to not take something unless it pays over $35k a year. If you find a full time job in your area and it pays $28k TAKE IT. ANY JOB is better than not being gainfully employed. Not only do you get some experience, but you can continue to keep looking OR decide if promotional opportunities at a company are worth staying at the place for a few years.

And don't worry if say, you find a job that makes $28k, but then two months later find a job making $35K+, even if years later down the line you are going to another employer and they ask why the quick jump, no one is going to fault you in saying "I took the first job that hired me, but continued to look for a job more in line with my skills and that made more money."

Old 06-19-2013, 09:31 PM

217 posts, read 307,352 times
I'm in the same boat as you. The funny thing is that my buddy who didn't go to college is making $20/hr working at a grocery store, and my buddy who went to college but didn't graduate is making $40/hr working at a software company.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I wouldn't move 4-8 hours away for $11 an hour. Unless you are living in places where rent is $400 a month or something! BUT I don't agree to not take something unless it pays over $35k a year. If you find a full time job in your area and it pays $28k TAKE IT. ANY JOB is better than not being gainfully employed. Not only do you get some experience, but you can continue to keep looking OR decide if promotional opportunities at a company are worth staying at the place for a few years.

And don't worry if say, you find a job that makes $28k, but then two months later find a job making $35K+, even if years later down the line you are going to another employer and they ask why the quick jump, no one is going to fault you in saying "I took the first job that hired me, but continued to look for a job more in line with my skills and that made more money."

The $11/hour job is at a five star resort where they'd be paying for most of my rent and food. Does that make up for the low wage?

I'm honestly so confused. No one prepared me for any of this and I feel like my parents are unrealistic because when they got out of college they were both being head hunted by different software development companies so obviously they were set. Me on the other hand.... not so much.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandSeminoles View Post
My degree is in Economics, but my past work experience is in retail (part time for the last 6 years). I currently live in the Southeast (wouldn't mind staying down here).

I'm just so confused... is it worth it to take a super low paying job to just get your foot in the door?

My friends who I've asked are 50/50 split. And my family is really against it (I think because they want me to live at home forever.........................).

Also, though my degree is in Econ I've been looking for jobs in communications, PR, event planning, hospitality, etc. So I haven't been applying to any econ related jobs.
Uprooting your life for an $11 an hour job is not a good decision. You may not even be able to support yourself.

You should be seeking $15 hourly or $30,000 at minimum if you are going to move for the job.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:36 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
Hun, your parents went to college what, 30 years ago? VERY different world.

When teachers said after college you'll get a job right away, well pft, they were wrong! That rarely happens nowadays.

Also, say you move down 4-8 hours away, then find a job in your hometown, you going to move back? That's a huge pain.

If you want to stay living in your area, then only look in your area. I wouldn't take that job. Specially since you are living at home with your parents and they are fine with that.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:39 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineandSeminoles View Post
The $11/hour job is at a five star resort where they'd be paying for most of my rent and food. Does that make up for the low wage?

I'm honestly so confused. No one prepared me for any of this and I feel like my parents are unrealistic because when they got out of college they were both being head hunted by different software development companies so obviously they were set. Me on the other hand.... not so much.
Dont buy into the doom and gloom. Economics is a pretty good degree.

You will be considered for plenty of jobs paying 30-45k. No need to rush into a job where you are working for peanuts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment