Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 11,093 times

Advertisements

I recently started a new job after graduation. I had a previous career that I left to return to college and start again. This new job so far is a positive change in environment for me. Apart from a few days ago when I stàrted a project with a new coworker (who is a senior part of the team) who returned from lunch hammered! She was all over me, touching my arms, knee and back and telling me how nice I was. Then two seconds later she would forget everything we worked on and had me explain things to her over again. The end result was two hours of time wasted explaining something to her that 1. She should already know and 2. She should privately research on Google if she didn't really know already. I'm trying to create boundaries with coworkers in this new company. I don't really know what to do with this situation and if I have to work closely with her again. This is a very small company with a tight group, has anything else walked into a small group where they had a bad situation and the company may not like you expecting change? I'm just wondering if I should tell the boss that this woman was drunk and made me uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 11:28 AM

503 posts, read 1,172,508 times
If somebody did that to me, I'd go straight to my boss. Work is not fun playtime. Work is work. Drink your dimes on your own hours.

Also, that situation screams liability issues and sexual harassment.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:30 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,140,376 times
Well, was this a one-time indiscretion or a common reoccurence?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:39 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Walls View Post
I recently started a new job after graduation. I had a previous career that I left to return to college and start again. This new job so far is a positive change in environment for me. Apart from a few days ago when I stàrted a project with a new coworker (who is a senior part of the team) who returned from lunch hammered! She was all over me, touching my arms, knee and back and telling me how nice I was. Then two seconds later she would forget everything we worked on and had me explain things to her over again. The end result was two hours of time wasted explaining something to her that 1. She should already know and 2. She should privately research on Google if she didn't really know already. I'm trying to create boundaries with coworkers in this new company. I don't really know what to do with this situation and if I have to work closely with her again. This is a very small company with a tight group, has anything else walked into a small group where they had a bad situation and the company may not like you expecting change? I'm just wondering if I should tell the boss that this woman was drunk and made me uncomfortable.
How does the boss not know already? You said this is a small company with a tight group, aren't there other people sitting around you? Nobody else overheard any of this?

This would hardly go unnoticed in a much larger company if this behavior was as bad as you described, I don't understand how no one else noticed how she was acting.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:50 AM

I just started the job and this incident happened two days ago. I never worked with this woman before or since. I mean a project together. I could be working with her again on something soon but off the job site and at a location with clients. She is a sales person for the company and I am just a new part time employee. I'm a young woman but I'm not new to the work field by any means. I am shy to complaining because this office is like a close family and I am the new girl. How do I tell the owner that their senior sales person was trashed and all over the place?

Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Seain they did hear her for over two hours asking me the same thing over and over. The boss did not hear though.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:01 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Walls View Post
Seain they did hear her for over two hours asking me the same thing over and over. The boss did not hear though.
And nobody said anything to you? Or came over and asked what was going on? Or if they could help clear up the problem?

That's odd.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:29 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,141,152 times
What an uncomfortable situation. Its tough due to the fact you are new, and the group is tight knit. Its possible they know she drinks but if her performance is excellent and she brings in revenue they may overlook it. Its not supposed to be that way but some companies performance and money resulting in it put the person in a very strong position. Especially in a small company. Larger corporations would have far more ridged rules. Showing up inebriated is grounds for termination anywhere. It being enforced is another.

If you have to work with her again, and she pulls this you could bring it up in person. The fact is otherwise they may see you as a snitch and it may be her word against yours. I am not telling you to turn the other cheek here, but just be alert to this fact.

Making her aware of it first directly would be my advice first before going to her boss in this company. No one who comes to work drunk does it once. Someone likely knows her habits.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,854,994 times
Ugh, this is really a big red flag. I am sure that she has done this before-- if she hadn't, she would have been mortified and apologized or at least broached the topic. This behavior is clearly tolerated by the boss.

You are in the worst possible situation. I have been in your shoes. Years ago, I worked for a very small business that was privately owned. I was the youngest person in the office, and the owner had hired all of her friends. Though conduct in the office was reprehensible (especially by the owner!) there was absolutely no one who was "safe" to talk to. I lasted 6 months before I had to take another job.

I say, start looking. When you feel comfortable, bring it up to someone, but keep that resume handy. Things like this woman's behavior are usually the tip of the iceberg.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Is this about the woman's being loaded or her hitting on you? If it's just her being loaded mind your own business. When you're the boss you can make the rules but right now you should keep your nose to the grindstone. Drunks are common in the workplace as in life and sometimes you do best to tolerate them. Besides, this woman probably has a big stick and you'll get in hot water if you rat her out, not her.

If she hits on you again and you find that offensive then you should bounce that one up. If the bosses retaliate get a good lawyer and make them regret it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment