U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 AM

4 posts, read 5,679 times

Advertisements

So I read the thread for "What do YOU consider a decent salary?"

Decent Salary: $35k-50k entry-level white collar, lower-skilled trades

Oh my goodness, if anybody who's been there or who knows how to get into a job that pays 30,000 I'd be forever grateful. I'm a pretty smart person but I was very lazy and had no work ethic growing up, I only completed a useless general studies associates degree at a community college just to satisfy my mom. Today I work as a field worker with graveyard shifts going 6 nights a week. Pays more than a fast food job so I'm there to pay bills.

All I ask is the quickest way out of this hell hole. I understand that I may be unreasonable but I don't want you to feel like I want you to give me a life plan or anything. If you need to tell me some bitter truths that I may need to read then please don't hesitate to educate me on my ignorance.

So what exactly am I asking for here....what can I do now so that in the near future I'll be able to pay for a small 1 bedroom apartment for myself? I'm thinking I'll need to make at least 30,000 a year or something near there in order to make that a reality, I don't mind working a mind numbing cubicle job, in fact that'd be a godsend and I'll be forever grateful for it because anything is better than right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 04:54 AM

18,118 posts, read 16,581,492 times
What type of work are you doing now and what jobs are there above your current position? Do you see any possible upward mobility? If you're working 6 days a week, you should be getting some OT I imagine. This isn't enough to afford rent?

Round here, you can rent a 1 br apartment for around $750/month. The trick is to start looking in the fall and plan to sign a lease in the winter. It's a lot cheaper because people don't like to move during that time of the year.

At any rate, when I moved out at 18, my straight time pay came out to be around 27K. I was just starting out and making entry level pay. Wasn't that difficult, but I had to be selective about my purchasing habits. I also found part time work when things got slow. Eventually I got laid off but since I was working multiple jobs, it worked out fine. You don't need tons of money to rent, but it certainly can't hurt. I'm also earning quite a bit more today as I stuck with that particular career path. Sometimes, you just need a little patience

Are you saving much money right now? I assume you're not renting so perhaps you can sock some money in the bank. Get that cushion built up and you're current income won't be such a problem. Added security for those weeks when you spend a little more than you should have.

And don't think you need a cubicle job just to earn a livable wage. There are a wide variety of career options in this country, as we have a very diverse economy. There are all different flavors of careers. Find one you like and you will have a much better chance at excelling at it. That last bit is what will give you the greatest chances of earning a decent income. If you suck at a job, there's a good chance your career will be a failure.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:02 AM

419 posts, read 758,465 times
Medical Secretary
Ultrasound Tech
Human Resources
Municipal park cleaner
Crane Operator/ Operator of some kind of heavy machinery
Bank Call Center

Old 06-23-2013, 09:34 AM

13,446 posts, read 18,284,102 times
Where do you live? Keep in mind that those salary ranges were given for higher cost of living areas. I can't imagine renting even a studio on just $30K a year! I'm in Boston and won't feel comfortable renting a 1 bedroom until I'm making 60K on up. I'm pushing 40K and can barely pay for 1 bedroom in a 3 bedroom apartment and still have money to save because the costs are so high.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:37 AM

3,879 posts, read 7,684,477 times
Where I am its pretty easy to find an entry-level job paying $30k. In fact, I am finding tons of them. Its finding the $50k and up jobs that have been hard for me. They want so much experience in so many areas, its kinda tough.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:38 AM

3,879 posts, read 7,684,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criminaljusticegrad View Post
Medical Secretary
Ultrasound Tech
Human Resources
You would need specific experience in these backgrounds to even apply.

Old 06-23-2013, 11:52 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,401,311 times
You can go and drive a cab. In some cities drivers can clear around 1000 a week.
I'm doing it when I between IT jobs.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:09 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,815,458 times
You work graves? Perfect. During the daytime, get your CDL w/ Hazmat cert. you can find a job in days in any one of the oil fields (PA/ND/TX, etc) making 60K. Not the most attractive places to live long term, but if you're smart with your money, you can stack some change pretty quickly.

Another option might be retail sales that has a commission aspect. Pretty easy to advance up the mid-level management ladder there if you have the skills.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:12 PM

9,240 posts, read 13,207,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherGK View Post
So I read the thread for "What do YOU consider a decent salary?"

Decent Salary: $35k-50k entry-level white collar, lower-skilled trades

Oh my goodness, if anybody who's been there or who knows how to get into a job that pays 30,000 I'd be forever grateful. I'm a pretty smart person but I was very lazy and had no work ethic growing up, I only completed a useless general studies associates degree at a community college just to satisfy my mom. Today I work as a field worker with graveyard shifts going 6 nights a week. Pays more than a fast food job so I'm there to pay bills.

All I ask is the quickest way out of this hell hole. I understand that I may be unreasonable but I don't want you to feel like I want you to give me a life plan or anything. If you need to tell me some bitter truths that I may need to read then please don't hesitate to educate me on my ignorance.

So what exactly am I asking for here....what can I do now so that in the near future I'll be able to pay for a small 1 bedroom apartment for myself? I'm thinking I'll need to make at least 30,000 a year or something near there in order to make that a reality, I don't mind working a mind numbing cubicle job, in fact that'd be a godsend and I'll be forever grateful for it because anything is better than right now.
If somebody wanted a stable job that would get them to the 50K area, and the style of life you are describing as fast and as surely as relatively possible, I'd recommend nursing probably.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:34 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,931,618 times
I'm not a fan of sales but for the right person who finds the right opportunity, it is very rewarding. If you can market yourself and sell, it is the quickest way to having a high income without long extensive education or training if you succeed. You'll have to find the right product and market to go into that fits you. But it is also the highest failure rate as well and you don't earn anything until you close a deal.

A college friend of mine went from working at a hotel as a customer service to a District Manager of an insurance company within 5 yrs and now earning a 6 figure income when he moved his career into sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment