Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 05:52 PM

217 posts, read 307,426 times

Advertisements

* Graduated college in March
* Good university, usually ranked around 35th nationally
* Degree was a B.S. in Mathematics
* Recent job experience includes a 2-year paid research project for the university, a part-time job at a tutoring center, and an elected, paid position at my fraternity (not sure if I should put that last one on my resume)
* Skills include a good knowledge of Java and C++/C, the fundamentals of computer programming, a little about web programming as I made a site using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Do not have any familiarity with data warehousing (SQL), which seems to cut me out of a lot of positions I'd potentially apply for. I know I also have an exceptional memory, which means I still have the statistical problem-solving ability and background theory that would make me confident taking the probability-centered actuarial exam if I had to tomorrow.

Been living at home looking for jobs for 3 months.

I've been using online resources -- my university's job page, Indeed, and CraigsList (which is surprisingly good). I've don't bother with the other job boards like Career Builder and Monster because all the listings I see on there are already on Indeed. I do not have 1 specific position title I'm looking for. I filter by jobs in my state and then type in key words like "Algorithms", "Software", "Statistics", "Research", and others that I think might be up my alley. I apply to about 5-10 jobs every day I think I'm properly qualified for. I think I'm fairly realistic and I'm definitely not "bitter" about my lack of success so far. I know that everyone is gonna accuse me of being "entitled" and "bitter."

Anyhow, my #1 lead so far was a software job at Amazon. After being selected as a potential candidate, they had me take an online assessment that was 3 parts -- the first a programming assessment that would be graded by real people, the second an a test about what I would do in different work-related conundrums ("You're struggling with a deadline but at the same a customer has called about a problem, blah blah blah. What do you do? (a) Email your boss about the problem. (b) blah blah blah"), and the third an obscure personality test. I apparently failed the assessment as a whole, but I wasn't given any feedback about where I went wrong. This was a letdown.

I've had about 6 other leads for programming positions, but those ones were very frustrating because I had to go through outsourced recruiters who were very flaky. I've had 3 different times where a recruiter schedules to call me and then never does. When I call her/him, no answer. The ones I've talked to asked me very basic questions, which were of course answered on my resume, and I never heard back after that.

No feedback from any non-software positions, although I have applied for a few. Here's a spreadsheet so you can see what types of jobs I've applied for: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tS0JPVHc#gid=0.

Since I've made it 3 months with no luck, not having got as far a face-to-face interview, I'm starting to think about drastically lowering standards and just getting some podunk $30k/yr job and then spend my free time on StackOverflow and GitHub trying to make a name for myself in programming so I can start trying again in 1 yr to get a programming job. Then again, I still am getting responses for non-podunk jobs -- right now I'm setting up a phone interview with ChinaSoft International (ChinaSoft International), which seems legit -- so maybe I should wait a little longer? Money is not an issue right now, since I'm living at home. The only urgency is becoming less marketable as a consequence of being unemployed for longer.

Suggestions more than welcome! I'll read every word of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 05:56 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post
* Graduated college in March
* Good university, usually ranked around 35th nationally
* Degree was a B.S. in Mathematics
* Recent job experience includes a 2-year paid research project for the university, a part-time job at a tutoring center, and an elected, paid position at my fraternity (not sure if I should put that last one on my resume)
* Skills include a good knowledge of Java and C++/C, the fundamentals of computer programming, a little about web programming as I made a site using HTML, CSS, JavaScript. Do not have any familiarity with data warehousing (SQL), which seems to cut me out of a lot of positions I'd potentially apply for. I know I also have an exceptional memory, which means I still have the statistical problem-solving ability and background theory that would make me confident taking the probability-centered actuarial exam if I had to tomorrow.

Been living at home looking for jobs for 3 months.

I've been using online resources -- my university's job page, Indeed, and CraigsList (which is surprisingly good). I've don't bother with the other job boards like Career Builder and Monster because all the listings I see on there are already on Indeed. I do not have 1 specific position title I'm looking for. I filter by jobs in my state and then type in key words like "Algorithms", "Software", "Statistics", "Research", and others that I think might be up my alley. I apply to about 5-10 jobs every day I think I'm properly qualified for. I think I'm fairly realistic and I'm definitely not "bitter" about my lack of success so far. I know that everyone is gonna accuse me of being "entitled" and "bitter."

Anyhow, my #1 lead so far was a software job at Amazon. After being selected as a potential candidate, they had me take an online assessment that was 3 parts -- the first a programming assessment that would be graded by real people, the second an a test about what I would do in different work-related conundrums ("You're struggling with a deadline but at the same a customer has called about a problem, blah blah blah. What do you do? (a) Email your boss about the problem. (b) blah blah blah"), and the third an obscure personality test. I apparently failed the assessment as a whole, but I wasn't given any feedback about where I went wrong. This was a letdown.

I've had about 6 other leads for programming positions, but those ones were very frustrating because I had to go through outsourced recruiters who were very flaky. I've had 3 different times where a recruiter schedules to call me and then never does. When I call her/him, no answer. The ones I've talked to asked me very basic questions, which were of course answered on my resume, and I never heard back after that.

No feedback from any non-software positions, although I have applied for a few. Here's a spreadsheet so you can see what types of jobs I've applied for: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tS0JPVHc#gid=0.

Since I've made it 3 months with no luck, not having got as far a face-to-face interview, I'm starting to think about drastically lowering standards and just getting some podunk $30k/yr job and then spend my free time on StackOverflow and GitHub trying to make a name for myself in programming so I can start trying again in 1 yr to get a programming job. Then again, I still am getting responses for non-podunk jobs -- right now I'm setting up a phone interview with ChinaSoft International (ChinaSoft International), which seems legit -- so maybe I should wait a little longer? Money is not an issue right now, since I'm living at home. The only urgency is becoming less marketable as a consequence of being unemployed for longer.

Suggestions more than welcome! I'll read every word of them.
I think recruiters can really help you out. Don't discount them. It doesn't cost you anything.
Are you willing to work anywhere in the US?

Do you think you could get a security clearance? Have you considered working for the government?

Finally, what is the answer to this:

48÷2(9+3) = ?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Are you willing to work anywhere in the US?
Yes. The only reason I apply for in-state jobs is because I assume a company wouldn't risk flying me to their state for an entry-level position.

Quote:
Do you think you could get a security clearance?
I have a clean legal record. If it's a more sophisticated process than that, perhaps not? I had to be one of the guys who was secretly questioned by the government when my roommate was applying for a job with a military contracting business last year. Let's just say that I might get ratted out on a question or two if they ask one of my friends and if that friend decides to be honest.

Quote:
Have you considered working for the government?
Yes, despite being staunchly anti-government.

Quote:
Finally, what is the answer to this:

48÷2(9+3) = ?

Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringPrizes View Post

You da man. Probably 98% of people (including engineers and mathematicians) would say 2 (and be wrong).

Old 06-28-2013, 07:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
IMO, with a Math degree, you should start looking for "analyst" posiitons, like this one from Tesla Motors (in my neck of the woods):

Quote:
The Role
As an Analyst on the HR Analytics team, you'll develop data management, data auditing, analytics, project management and internal consulting skills. You have a background in data management, data analysis, business process improvement and you bring a natural ability to solve problems in a creative fashion. Additionally, you're able to handle multiple high-impact projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
Responsibilities
  • Provide administrative support to the human resources function in the areas of HRIS, compensation, benefits and staffing.
  • Maintaining human resources information/computer system (HRIS) databases, auditing data, preparing reports, proposing business process improvements, and automation.
  • Communicate recommendations on initiatives and influence stakeholders through data and thoughtful interpretation of findings.
  • Develop and analyze large data sets.
  • Drive HR system changes to support the evolving needs of a rapidly growing business.
  • Participate in evaluation, reporting, and analysis to understand effectiveness of new initiatives and identify trends.
Requirements
  • BA/BS degree in Economics, Statistics or Mathematics preferred with a strong academic record.
  • 0-2 years of working experience.
  • Excellent problem solving capabilities and superior analytical skills.
  • Deep interest and aptitude in data, metrics, analysis, and trends.
  • Proven ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects.
  • Excellent communication skills.
  • Extremely detail oriented.
  • Expert Microsoft Excel skills and experience using MS Office suite a must (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint).
Desired
  • Familiarity with Visio, Access, statistical packages and/or SQL a plus.
  • HRIS experience a plus.
  • Familiarity with writing scripts, visual basic, basic coding (HTML) – a plus.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:15 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
You da man. Probably 98% of people (including engineers and mathematicians) would say 2 (and be wrong).
Why isn't it 2?

for the op - just curious, why don't you take the actuarial exam?

Also, I wonder if you might consider some jobs that are not advertised as programming, but where you could get more experience and training. I was thinking like maybe a somewhat low-level tech position (low level by tech standards) in a tech company. I know some people who started out pretty low in a company that does web hosting, but the company offered some training and they moved up. Or perhaps something in IT with a larger organization where you could get some free education. I work in a college, and they pay peanuts but we get to take courses for free.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Why isn't it 2?
(48÷2)(9+3) = 2

The () is assumed because division comes first.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:18 PM

duplicate... pls ignore.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Why isn't it 2?

for the op - just curious, why don't you take the actuarial exam?

Also, I wonder if you might consider some jobs that are not advertised as programming, but where you could get more experience and training. I was thinking like maybe a somewhat low-level tech position (low level by tech standards) in a tech company. I know some people who started out pretty low in a company that does web hosting, but the company offered some training and they moved up. Or perhaps something in IT with a larger organization where you could get some free education. I work in a college, and they pay peanuts but we get to take courses for free.
I don't see many low-level positions in tech companies, if by "low-level" you mean positions that don't require experience.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:51 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
(48÷2)(9+3) = 2

The () is assumed because division comes first.
I think you meant 288, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment