U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2013, 02:03 AM

109 posts, read 249,755 times

Advertisements

Hello guys. I have been working two years now at a small company of about 20 people. We provide technical support to companies who hire us. We have pretty big contracts. There are two times in the year where 20 people cannot handle the call and email volume, so we have to hire temporary employees for about 3 months (twice a year) to help take basic calls. We often hire about 20 temps.

Side note, some of us (full time) work from home. There's about 4 of us. It happens to be that all 4 of us are in the same state, Georgia. The main office and the rest of the guys are in NYC. Out of the four of us, there is one senior manager, and two old schoolers who has been with the company since it started.

I have once pitched the idea to management to open an office in Georgia, and I'm sure we can run the place. The idea was supported by majority of the staff and two senior managers, but it just never came through for whatever reason. I want to officially pitch the idea and make it more proper and official.

Reasons why another office would be better in Georgia is because down here employment is still low, so finding temporary employees would not be hard. Also, the cost of living down here is cheaper than NYC, so the wages of these employees would be significantly lower as well. I would mainly pitch these two points. I want to create a well-written document, with examples, graphs, and a powerpoint presentation to pitch to the owner, with employee signatures and push it to him.

My question is... who can I hire to help me!? Given my reputation with the company, I see no harm in trying as I was so close before.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 02:33 AM

341 posts, read 635,665 times
Why don't you do the project, graphs and the writing; then use it as a tool get the gig of running the show down in Georgia yourself as a division president. Clearly (by all the graphs and writing you just did) no one knows it better than you.

Pay raise, relocation, div. president.

Winning.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:27 AM

17,578 posts, read 43,589,098 times
Some questions.

Are they having a problem hiring temps in NY?
Do you think they would find the same talent pool of temps in Georgia than they find in NY?
Do they have the space needed for the temps already in the NY office?
How much would it cost to maintain an office year round in Georgia with enough space for the temps vs. the higher salary for the NY temps?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:55 PM

12,203 posts, read 11,117,758 times
I would develop a cost-benefit analysis.

Your big hurdle is in seeing if setting up another office in Georgia is more cost effective than the status quo in NY.

20 temps take up quite a bit of space, so I assume that the NY office has the capacity to host workspaces for them. When does the lease on the NY space run out, and can the office be easily downsized? If not, you are asking the company to pay for existing space in NY as well as add on a commitment in GA.

Have you considered the costs involved in build out of space, acquiring 20 desks/chairs/phones/workstations...? IT infrastructure installation and support?

You will need to hire somebody in GA to hire, train, and supervise your temp workers. They will need to keep track of time sheets, employment documents, be familiar with GA labor law, etc. This person can also be responsible for managing the facility itself by overseeing maintenance and custodial services.

There is probably somebody in NY who does this, so that person will need to have other duties assigned or be laid off.

There may be taxation issues involved, as your company will now have nexus in GA. I am not sure what that might entail.

As you can see it is not simply a matter of NY wages vs. GA wages. The real estate, additional FT and capital expenses are going to be significant factors. You may not even save any money on temp wages from NY, because low level temps are very easy to find there at really low wages. I never needed to pay mor than minimum wage, although you will likely need a more skilled person than the temps I used to hire.

Old 06-30-2013, 11:40 PM

Your questions and comments are very intuitive. I am going to run a cost-benefit analysis and get back to you guys. Thanks

Old 07-01-2013, 12:03 AM

13,523 posts, read 20,064,475 times
Be careful in planting this thought ... there are places (both in the US and certainly internationally) where it's even more cost effective to host technical support operations than Georgia.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM

12,203 posts, read 11,117,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Be careful in planting this thought ... there are places (both in the US and certainly internationally) where it's even more cost effective to host technical support operations than Georgia.
I don't think that this is a big concern. Because the OP's company uses a small number of seasonals, they must hire and train 2x/year. It would not be cost effective to send this overseas.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:56 PM

I just wanted to add in a comment. We once hired temps from the Philippines, and it was a total disaster. They sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment