Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 04:39 PM

459 posts, read 1,744,014 times

Advertisements

I put in my notice a week and a half ago. I told my boss my last day would be next Friday.

However, ever since I put in my notice, she has been really giving me an awful attitude, acts like I am incompetent, and literally talks down to me like I am stupid. I don't know how to sugarcoat it. The bottom line is she is not treating me with any type of respect at all.

I've been amicable this whole time but her attitude has gotten to the point where I've had to end up getting a bit snappy back at her for the sake of not letting her walk all over me.

I understand I am going to be out the door a week from today, but I don't know if I can honestly put up with the treatment. I am basically doing it at this point so I don't lose out on the pay since I'm ending up with unpaid vacation time next month.

There have been instances, such as today, where my supervisor took a two hour lunch break where I covered for her, and she comes back expecting me to work late doing her job so she can leave early.

Should I be staying late? I mean, at this point I feel like she is holding on to work and dropping it on me last minute and trying to make me stay late. I sit there the majority of the day doing absolutely nothing so she had ample time to get me started on it. I even asked her yesterday "Do you have anything you need help with?" And she waits until everyone is walking out the door to give me something to do.

I guess I would be more willing to help her out if she didn't talk to me and treat me the way she did personally. Then again, this is the same boss that has been going around speaking negatively about me to all the rest of my co-workers. It's been an incredibly awkward last 2 weeks and I am not going to be sad to leave this behind me.

Mostly curious to see what CDers think. I'm really not sure if my emotions are getting in the way at this point and I'm being irrational or not doing something I should be. I thought I was doing my company a favor by giving them 2 weeks, but I didn't think "thank you for your service" would be turned into being treated like this for my last couple of weeks. I am pretty sure my boss knows that the big reason of me putting in my notice is because of her, so I can't help but feel like she is taking it personally and subsequently taking it out on me.

Last edited by stargirl007; 07-12-2013 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2013, 04:47 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,842,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargirl007 View Post
However, ever since I put in my notice, she has been really giving me an awful attitude, acts like I am incompetent, and literally talks down to me like I am stupid. I don't know how to sugarcoat it. The bottom line is she is not treating me with any type of respect at all.
I'd tell her to go f*** herself and then walk right out the door.

2 weeks notice is an act of professional courtesy. That woman doesn't deserve it.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:50 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
Since you are about to leave, I would grin and bear it as best you can. The key is to stay above the fray by taking the higher road. It is completely unprofessional of your manager to do this, but it happens a lot.

(just noticed) - Or like the other poster said, you could just walk out since you are not there much longer.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Not a chance in hell I would stay late given the circumstances. I would also just tune her out when she is being rude.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:24 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Sounds like she is trying to make you look bad in front of all the other employees. Don't fall for the trap or do anything you wish you were not remembered for later on like a grandiose exit speech. Just act like business as usual, collect your 2 weeks pay and try to kill her with kindness as hard as this will be. No need to play hero and stay late at this point. You don't need to burn out. You need to be fresh for the next place.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,549,309 times
learn to LOL inside . play with her a bit saying you cant work late because you need to take care of something required by the new job (fingerprinting, ID, etc). hopefully you have an HR to report an issue

Old 07-12-2013, 05:54 PM

106 posts, read 230,039 times
I think YOU should be taking a two hour lunch and having your boss cover for you. lol

If the attitude stinks, then by all means dont do anything more than necessary IMO. You gave it your best and did nothing wrong I would assume. No need for her to have that attitude.

(or you could do what a few others say, just dont show up on Monday).

Old 07-12-2013, 06:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Finish the two weeks, but do not stay late. excel at your new corp, and look for additional openings where, once you are established at you new corp with a good rep, you could recommend staff reporting to your present boss (getting them to apply first, of course)..

Old 07-12-2013, 06:35 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Were you expecting her to give you all of the easy assignments, tell you how great you are and how much she'll miss you? Not at all professional of her, I agree, but I would not be surprised. Your boss is now going to be running short until they manage to hire and train someone new to take your place, that's a lot of extra work, especially if she has to fill in herself in the interim. If I were you I would certainly not go to any extra effort, what can they do, fire you?

Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
. Your boss is now going to be running short until they manage to hire and train someone new to take your place, that's a lot of extra work, especially if she has to fill in herself in the interim.

So sad, too bad.

In all liklihood, her boss could use her help over the phone with issues in the months to come. Not only is her boss unprofessional, she is now burning a bridge that could possibly assist her in the transition period, at least as far as advice on handling things goes.

The OP should finish out 40 hours this week, and not a minute more, and, of course, if they ever call asking how to handle issue or process XYZ, she should feign an inability to remember it.

Last edited by bobtn; 07-12-2013 at 07:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment