Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,022,104 times

Advertisements

I guess the bottom line is how big a salary jump will a corporation give you -- if they know your current salary? I've heard that in MOST cases even though the jobs are different and have nothing to with each other - they're not going to offer you but x percentage more than your current rate? True? And is it possible to negotiate UP to what they were willing to pay -- except for them knowing your lower CURRENT salary?

=============
Got a search firm call. Just initial contact for client that's a MAJOR, MAJOR player in its field. My resume was in their file from years ago. We did all the normal intros etc, but before the person got off the phone...the person pressed me on my CURRENT salary.

This gig would be in a related field to what I'm doing now, and at an executive level.

I now make about 100K. The person asked more than once how much I was making now, rephrasing various times but it was clearly the same question: so what ball park are you in? so you make that now? etc. You'll see I DID try my best to NOT say a number..and at least we left it at a range.....but....

Firm: so your in the 150 range? is that what your still looking for?
Me: that's the salary range I'd be looking for for this position
Firm: so that's where you are now?
Me: I'm above six figures
Firm: near 150K

(at this point I'm like damned will you let this drop?)

I didn't want to lie, so I said I'm in the low six figures. But I have a base salary, bonuses, overtime and can earn other pay.

Firm: So you BASE is over 100K
Me; No my base is 95, but other financial compensation puts me in the low six figures.
Firm: So 120K or so...
ME: (finally) yes I have that potential...
FIRM: Oh OK so that ballpark would be acceptable?
ME: that's the LEAST I would consider relocating for
=====================

Now, I understand that search firms don't want to waste their time. And quite frankly I don't want to waste MY time either. I HAVE a job so I don't HAVE to take this. But I'd be a fool to not pursue it. So I CAN appreciate, getting that out of the way (to a certain extent).

We exchanged emails. I sent a current resume.

Is there any way to now get 150K for this gig? How would you do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
At the end of the day the search firm doesn't set the salary. They can certainly try and negotiate, but they can only do so much.

As for your question, no one can answer that. The best you can do is hope they make you an offer and then counter. If you don't like the number then don't accept.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:26 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
There is no set rule.

As a very rough rule of thumb, companies will look at your current compensation and offer you whatever they think is sufficient to lure you away. So if you are making $100k +/- they will need to offer you more than that. If you are making $80k, then an offer of $100k is probably sufficient.

You have the power to reject their offer. If you feel the new position is worth $150, then your option is to hold out for that amount, knowing that the company making the offer is similarly free to cap their offer at $125k (or whatever).

Old 07-19-2013, 07:20 AM

Also, will the firm actually say we think you can get him/her for 125K...or only that "her salary is in the 120 range."

What kind of vetting does the search firm do? Does it just find folks with the hiring criteria? then give the names to the client company?...
...or does the search firm itself do one or two interviews, before letting the company take it from there?

Old 07-19-2013, 08:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Also, will the firm actually say we think you can get him/her for 125K...or only that "her salary is in the 120 range."

What kind of vetting does the search firm do? Does it just find folks with the hiring criteria? then give the names to the client company?...
...or does the search firm itself do one or two interviews, before letting the company take it from there?
Those questions have no set answers. The best you can do is go through the process and see what happens.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:34 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Don't forget that it's in the firm's best interests to get you as much salary as they can, since their fee is based directly on the level of your compensation. Also, they may have multiple jobs in mind, and don't want to pitch you to a job that is less than what you're currently making.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Don't forget that it's in the firm's best interests to get you as much salary as they can, since their fee is based directly on the level of your compensation.
I'd feel even better about that if she had let it drop after I initially said 150 was the range that was acceptable.
But she pressed and wanted to know what I was making currently.

Clearly if they can get me at 125, I think the company would rather do that than 150K. I know I'll just have to see how this develops. That 150K SUUURE sounded a lot nicer than 125K...darn it!

And other threads have pointed out -- now the company knows it likely won't have to even offer me the 150 "range" to get me. i heard, that if a person (any person) is making 50K they're not going to offer that person 100K even if that's what it was budgeted for. They're just not going to do it, because it THEIR MIND it's "to big a jump."

Any tips for negotiating back UP to at least 140.

One friend said IF it gets that far and they only offer 125K ask if a raise to 140K after a year could be included in the current written offer.

For me this is all hypothetical right now because I was just contacted yesterday and nothing may come of it -- but it's likely to helps others as well.

Last edited by rdflk; 07-19-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 07-19-2013, 11:44 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Yeah...BUT I'd feel even better about that if she had let it drop after I initially said 150 was the range that was acceptable.
But she pressed and wanted to know what I was making currently.

Clearly if they can get me at 125, I think the company would rather do that than 150K. I know I'll just have to see how this develops. That 150K SUUURE sounded a lot nicer than 125K...darn it!
Consider this: The headhunter would rather you get paid $150K. Your salary is typically how their commission is calculated.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
The headhunter would rather you get paid $150K. Your salary is typically how their commission is calculated.
So why did she press me to say what I was making now. I'd already told her "140-150 is the range I'd expect for this position." She pressed is that what you're making now?

I guess it depends on exactly WHAT the firm's task is for their corp client -- include salary recommendations, or just pass along names of people who were very generally vetted and fit the bill, and would take the job at the 'general budgeted salary."

And exec search firm people out there who can weigh in on this how much vetting does the firm do before passing candidates on to the corp client?

Old 07-19-2013, 12:11 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Those questions have no set answers. The best you can do is go through the process and see what happens.
I agree. I have firsthand experience developing comp packages to recruit Sr. Level professionals and executives. Be mindful that most companies will know the market range for the work they need and will be mindful of your level -- are your promising for the role, a perceived solid performer or a well known expert -- and your present pay when they negotiate with you. So you should also educate yourself on the market value of the job and your own skill level. It will put more conviction in your salary negotiations. Remember, of you negotiate and succeed in getting paid as an expert, there will be no tolerance if you don't deliver....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment