Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

After looking for a year in Denver Metro and COS for a good, high tech sales job I am looking for places to relocate.

What areas do you think would be good?

1. Silicon Valley seems obvious
2. Austin, TX is tech big
3. DC Metro? Maybe but with austerity I am not sure?

Please suggest some other areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:58 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,570,522 times
I think it all depends on what you are selling. You want to be where you can make the best contacts with customers.

Old 07-23-2013, 10:01 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,901,735 times
i'm surprised you haven't included NYC in that list. for that matter, just abt any mid-to-large sized city should have ample opportunity, considering that so many companies would be located there...

Old 07-23-2013, 10:52 PM

75 posts, read 123,261 times
Curious, why relocate? No job opportunity at all or none that pay what you want?

I left the Denver area for the Bay Area a few years ago and am determined to go back.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckerz View Post
Curious, why relocate? No job opportunity at all or none that pay what you want?

I left the Denver area for the Bay Area a few years ago and am determined to go back.
No I have applied at ever tech co in Denver and nothing in 1 year. I have had so many job canceled during the interview process, SM leaving, its bizarre and bad. I have made it to the 3rd round 3-4 times written a business plan nada

Old 07-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElysianEagle View Post
i'm surprised you haven't included NYC in that list. for that matter, just abt any mid-to-large sized city should have ample opportunity, considering that so many companies would be located there...
I should have just the extreme cost of living is a bit intimidating.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
I think it all depends on what you are selling. You want to be where you can make the best contacts with customers.
I sell telecom, tech, hw, software. Most of the good jobs in Denver seem to be Finance, DOD contracting, and IT. My IT skills are not solid enough to make a decent living at it.

Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Colorado....

You may not want to only consider what you think would be large metro areas that are high tech. Sometimes, a smaller area can provide better results because there is less competition.

Take for example my company, I moved my company from Chicago to a small town in central Illinois. The move was due to personal reasons, but it ended up being one of the best business moves I have ever made. While in Chicago there was potential for far more clients, but there was also far more competition. Where we are at now, we have a lower number of potential clients, but also far less competition. Our sales have increased 400%. Along with the increased sales, the cost of living dropped dramatically. The cost of living here is less then half of what it was in Chicago.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:16 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
I should have just the extreme cost of living is a bit intimidating.
DC is also a very expensive area to live in.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
Colorado....

You may not want to only consider what you think would be large metro areas that are high tech. Sometimes, a smaller area can provide better results because there is less competition.

Take for example my company, I moved my company from Chicago to a small town in central Illinois. The move was due to personal reasons, but it ended up being one of the best business moves I have ever made. While in Chicago there was potential for far more clients, but there was also far more competition. Where we are at now, we have a lower number of potential clients, but also far less competition. Our sales have increased 400%. Along with the increased sales, the cost of living dropped dramatically. The cost of living here is less then half of what it was in Chicago.
I appreciate that I have to be in larger metro areas for personal reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment