Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 AM

2,279 posts, read 4,745,597 times

Advertisements

I've been a bit surprised by how many posts I've read lately complaining that the only way to get a job; to get promoted; to get a raise; to succeed at work.... Is to be a brown-nosed.

This hasn't even my experience for the most part. Sure, I've seen it happen occasionally, but it's been the exception rather than the rule.

I've been trying to decide if I'm just lucky to have not encountered a brown-nosing epidemic, or if maybe some people are too quick to cry favoritism and suck-ups. I bet if we had a list of possible behaviors, we cou,don't all agree 100% on what qualified under the brown- nose umbrella

What's your experience been like? How do you define brown-nosing? Had it affected your career?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,551,251 times
Yes. It works at the post office and DMV as well

Old 07-26-2013, 05:22 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
Depends on your definition of brown nosing. If being friendly with your superiors and carrying on conversations with them on non work related issues is brown nosing, then we are probably all guilty. We want the people who sign our paychecks to like us .

I do think the people who survive long term are the ones who fly slightly under the radar, however. They make no waves, agree with every decision upper management makes, and generally sing the company song. There are some supervisors who see any questioning of company policies as being a rebel and not fitting in, and that is a shame because any good employer should want people who come up with new ideas and are not sheep. But often that is not the case.

Don

Old 07-26-2013, 05:26 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
People like to have excuses for why they don't do well. This is an easy one.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
People like to have excuses for why they don't do well. This is an easy one.
I agree. As a manager, I can't stand someone that tries to brown nose, and it would have the opposite effect. My superiors respect and encourage my disagreement as along as I can back it up.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:26 AM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
With the right management chain, yes.. brown nosing works.. VERY well. I've been a few jobs that it was very apparent and distinctly put many at a disadvantage. They are also the same people that know how to look productive (happy to take busy work, hesitant or incapable to streamline) and seem knowledgable (regurgitation of discussions they heard from others without really quite understanding what they are talking about).

Old 07-26-2013, 07:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
I've been a bit surprised by how many posts I've read lately complaining that the only way to get a job; to get promoted; to get a raise; to succeed at work.... Is to be a brown-nosed.

This hasn't even my experience for the most part. Sure, I've seen it happen occasionally, but it's been the exception rather than the rule.

I've been trying to decide if I'm just lucky to have not encountered a brown-nosing epidemic, or if maybe some people are too quick to cry favoritism and suck-ups. I bet if we had a list of possible behaviors, we cou,don't all agree 100% on what qualified under the brown- nose umbrella

What's your experience been like? How do you define brown-nosing? Had it affected your career?
There are quite a few people on this board who who are very anti-social (never talk to co-workers, don't get to know them outside of work, etc.) and they typically claim that anyone who is friendly/social to co-workers or bosses is 'brown-nosing'

There is definitely a social aspect to getting a new job (humans are social creatures, so that shouldn't be surprising), but that being said, most people don't get jobs because of sucking up to management. I think most people say that just to have an excuse to why they didn't get promoted.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:05 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,439,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I agree. As a manager, I can't stand someone that tries to brown nose, and it would have the opposite effect. My superiors respect and encourage my disagreement as along as I can back it up.
I won't go so far as to say that brown-nosing is the key to success. However, I would argue that likability is definitely a big factor. If your superiors don't like you, for whatever reason, you're probably not going to move up anytime soon.

That's awesome that your superiors encourage reasonable disagreement. As I have stated before, I wish some of you folks who work at awesome companies would be willing to share the names of these companies. I don't experience the same welcoming embrace when it comes to disagreeing with my superiors. For example, the other day my supervisor told me to do something one way, and I didn't think that it would produce the desired effect that we were looking for. So I went to another supervisor for a 2nd opinion. One way or another, she found out and was outraged.

"Why did you go to this supervisor?!?!"

"Because I was asking for a 2nd opinion. I wasn't sure if I was understanding your explanation, so I wanted to see if someone's explanation would provide clarification."

She made me do it her way and it ended up being incorrect, as I suspected. So I had to re-do it. I could tell she was extremely bitter with me during the following days. The way she talked to me over the phone, the way she started micro-managing the heck out of me all of a sudden. She was clearly not happy with me. This is the 2nd time I've experienced her providing me incorrect information. And she wonders why I ask for a 2nd opinion. Isn't it clear?

Anyway, the point of this is, if you're not on your boss' good side, you are probably going to have a difficult time moving up in the world.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:14 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,153,827 times
It would be interesting to see what people say is the definition of "brown nosing".

Old 07-26-2013, 09:33 AM

639 posts, read 1,964,752 times
Every place I've worked at with the exception of my current part time job, has absolutely valued brown-nosing over actual work. I've known so many people who were favorites of management, who did practically no work, or often made serious mistakes (I, of course, picked up their slack). I've decided that the next time I get a job that promotes brown-nosers, well...since I can't beat them, I'll join them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment