Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM

131 posts, read 210,311 times

Advertisements

Hello to whomever reads this;

Well, I've applied for jobs in the DC area for months now rather they were entry-level position in a corporate environment or even a simply $9.00 an hour position with absolutely no luck. I'll admit it, my résumé isn't the most extensive but I honestly believe that I could worker harder than plenty of people at the jobs I have been applying at although my résumé just doesn't reflect it. I've tried retail for years now with little to no-success although at my most recent job (Target) within the first month working there I had a promotion, but that's just not where my heart nor motivation is. I need something that will make me want to stay regardless of the pay, hell I'd do a entry-level job for $9.00 an hour where I enter data all day long vs. working at Targer for $14 an hour.

The reason behind this post is because I need help rather its what to put on my résumé, or places that are always hiring. I don't want to do just any job, but its looking like I'll have to now. As of today I registered for ManPower but the DC area is lacking in regards to the amount of jobs available thru them; I can't find any job fairs that are coming up soon either so that's out of the picture. I honestly don't know what to do from here, can someone regardless of where they live tell me how to get a entry level job that isn't in retail nor the restaurant industry.

To say a little about myself I'm currently enrolled in College for Political Science, I'm 20-yrs old, my résumé only reflects two jobs one that's at Target and the other at a administrative position at a family business, I'm the type of guy who enjoys socializing but I also like being to myself a lot, I'm a quick leaner who enjoys doing research on just about anything, I'm constantly looking to broaden my horizons rather its volunteering to raise cash for Children with cancer or volunteering my time for something dealing with politics, I've been studying German for a while, and I enjoy investing.

Of course none of that stated above seems to help when applying for the actual job, but if I networked a bit more I'm positive those attributes could help me. Now speaking of networking, how exactly do I find people who could help me climb that ladder and find a decent paying job? People are always complimenting me on how well-educated I am but I never seem to meet the people who are able to hire others.

Well thank you reading, I don't really even expect any replies but I just wanted to rant a little and possibly seek some help in finding a job for those like myself who are not too qualified for certain positions but still know they'll be able to flourish with the requirements jobs are asking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 PM

273 posts, read 504,214 times
have you considered military?

Old 08-06-2013, 02:42 PM

23,613 posts, read 24,152,679 times
You should focus on completing your formal education first, the decent paying job opportunities should come after that.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM

77 posts, read 133,630 times
If you are in DC on the Virginia side, I would look into volunteering your time for one of the gubernatorial candidates. You will meet lots of people and make some good connections for networking.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:43 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,390,723 times
Are their student employment opportunities at your university? Have you investigated being a research assistant for someone in your college department?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment