Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2013, 04:50 PM

326 posts, read 478,366 times

Advertisements

Since everyone seems to be struggling with getting jobs in the common careers, what are some lesser known careers that require a BA/BS degree of any major? I ask because I'm also struggling finding employment using my degree, leading me to seek alternative choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
This is not really lesser known, but there are many insurance positions that just require a generic degree.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:37 PM

29,801 posts, read 24,880,628 times
I was watching a video about welding, and they showed how these underwater welders go through rigorous training to become certified by construction and engineering firms. Sometimes, they do deep sea welding where the pressure is very intense, and they work in a sealed enclosure. I thought to myself... In the same video, they showed how they join two types of material together through demolition. They will basically set the material on top of one another, place C4 on top of it, place it in a cave and blow it up! If I was 18, I would be all over this stuff!

Wonder why more young folks aren't looking into these types of occupations? They seem quite interesting and I doubt those guys are making burger flipping wages. Maybe I'm just strange though because I would die in a generic office position or environment.

Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi000 View Post
Since everyone seems to be struggling with getting jobs in the common careers, what are some lesser known careers that require a BA/BS degree of any major? I ask because I'm also struggling finding employment using my degree, leading me to seek alternative choices.
Good question.

My degree is in STEM and here's some of the jobs I got interviews for when I was just out of school...

-Chemist at a chocolate factory
-Assistant Manager at a children's zoo
-Junior/Assistant Real Estate Brokers
-Trainee at Merrill Lynch
-Media Planner at an Advertising Company
-Programming/Tasking at a Startup
-Assistant Manager at a Bookstore

I think it's worthwhile to note that I went to a pretty reputable school, and the economy was MUCH better when all this happened. It's also worthwhile to note that I didn't get any of those jobs (though I think the bookstore offered), but still I got the interviews.

It was too long ago to remember, but I think I just applied to the jobs whether they required a specific degree or not.

In any case, with the exception of the computer startup, none of those jobs would have led me to any worthwhile career, but I thought it was a story worth mentioning.

I also remember one of the jobs was paying around 40K and I was peeing in my pants cause I thought it was so much $ back then. Haha.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I was watching a video about welding, and they showed how these underwater welders go through rigorous training to become certified by construction and engineering firms. Sometimes, they do deep sea welding where the pressure is very intense, and they work in a sealed enclosure. I thought to myself... In the same video, they showed how they join two types of material together through demolition. They will basically set the material on top of one another, place C4 on top of it, place it in a cave and blow it up! If I was 18, I would be all over this stuff!

Wonder why more young folks aren't looking into these types of occupations? They seem quite interesting and I doubt those guys are making burger flipping wages. Maybe I'm just strange though because I would die in a generic office position or environment.
I think the OP is looking for what he or she can do with his or her current degree now.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
As long as so many experienced people are out of work or looking for something better it's going to be hard to compete with any degree. Until the bulk of the baby boomers start to retire in 5-10 years that's not likely to get much better. I would just continue to apply for anything for which you meet the minimum qualifications, to get some experience and income, then be ready to look for something better when/if things improve. Where work the average employee age is 49, so there will be many openings at some point, with some already retiring this year, but our most 'entry level" jobs other than internships (paid) all require at least 3 years of specific experience.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:55 PM

49 posts, read 72,418 times
Leasing Agent for an Apartment complex. I've gotten calls for interviews and I only have entry level retail and a couple years of office assistant work experience. This gets your foot in the door in the real estate industry.

Geico offers a Claims Adjustor Trainee position in which they're basically only asking for a bachelor's degree. It starts off at around $38,000. That's basically a step into the Insurance Industry.

Liberty Mutual offers an Underwriter Trainee program in which they train you to obtain your Underwriting credentials and then take you on as an entry-level Underwriter. I have a friend who got hired into this with a bachelor's degree in Economics. The starting pay is pretty good (around $40,000) when compared to retail-type entry level pay.

You could also seek an Administrative Assistant position at a company that you want to work at, network with people within the company, and try to move later into a position you really want. Any full-time office assistant position at a University is also a good choice as they tend to offer tuition reimbursement, decent benefits, and job openings that are only open to current university employees.

Old 08-08-2013, 01:00 PM

326 posts, read 478,366 times
For those of you wondering, I am currently employed in a retail job. With that being said, I will definitely looking into the jobs already mentioned in this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment