Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 11:20 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,818,175 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but here goes.

I applied with a temp company for a major warehouse sporting goods seller. I work in the "Added Service" area (Rebaging, repricing, hangers really light work) so the assistant supervisor comes to me and says "Go to shipping" I then replied "What would be the weight of the boxes?" He replied "Up to 50 lbs" I then said "Sorry, but I am restricted to 25 lbs" He then basically goes off the wall and I just ignore him.

Later he comes by and says "Go to temp office after you're done with this case" I do so and we discuss the issue.

I relate how I have COPD and that this job I am doing is what I can do. They then said "You're supposed to be able to lift up to 50 lbs" I replied "I can lift that amount and more, but ONLY occasionally, not consistently which you did not have on the application" (They did say "You need to be able to lift up to 40 lbs") Then he said "The client requires us to be able to cross train" I said "That's fine, but I wasn't able to lift any amount over 25 lbs on a consistent basis".

I did then say "I ask for an accommodation for this position at this time" (Rep did NOT reply yes or no at this)

After this, I sat outside the lobby and then he had me go back to work and would "Touch base with others in the company" (I suspect he's getting legal clarification about their rights and mine) I'd have liked to be able to do the work, but that I AM not able to be doing this ATM.

So, did I violate any rules? I'd like to stay at this position for 6-9 months (They boot you after 9 months for 3 months, then you can go back to the job after that. Client requirement) I would possibly be able to do more later, but for now I just don't want to risk my health at the moment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 11:50 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,697,214 times
Little confused here, is this job through a temp agency or are a temp directly through this company?

I don't think you violated any rules, if you can't lift that much weight I wouldn't injure myself.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Little confused here, is this job through a temp agency or are a temp directly through this company?

I don't think you violated any rules, if you can't lift that much weight I wouldn't injure myself.
I work for a sporting goods company, through a temp service.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,190,433 times
You're not "violating" anything. The temp service simply didn't place the right person (someone who meets all the job requirements) at the sporting goods company.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:18 AM

1,263 posts, read 3,287,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
You're not "violating" anything. The temp service simply didn't place the right person (someone who meets all the job requirements) at the sporting goods company.
That's my guess - the temp agency screwed up. They placed someone in a warehouse who isn't qualified for the official position description.

Don't be surprised if you lose the placement. Warehouses usually have lifting requirements.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:34 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,092,584 times
Somebody made a mistake. You benefitted, now you will pay the consequences.

As a manager, the course that I would take would be to thank you for your work, then terminate that temp position, and you with it. I would then call the temp company, modify the position description and have them send a different worker.

You are not being fired, but you cannot do the job that I need either, so you are out of work.

Sorry, it's a tough break for you but that is the likely outcome. Better luck with your next assignment.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:01 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,287,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Somebody made a mistake. You benefitted, now you will pay the consequences.

As a manager, the course that I would take would be to thank you for your work, then terminate that temp position, and you with it. I would then call the temp company, modify the position description and have them send a different worker.

You are not being fired, but you cannot do the job that I need either, so you are out of work.

Sorry, it's a tough break for you but that is the likely outcome. Better luck with your next assignment.
I did this with a nanny sent by a temp service. She announced she couldn't lift the babies because her doctor gave her a 10 lb max. I asked how she was going to change them and get them up and down the stairs, and she just shrugged. Bye-bye!

Old 08-14-2013, 01:55 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,199,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
I did this with a nanny sent by a temp service. She announced she couldn't lift the babies because her doctor gave her a 10 lb max. I asked how she was going to change them and get them up and down the stairs, and she just shrugged. Bye-bye!
I had a nanny that couldn't go up and down the stairs because she had a bad knee. Then she couldn't pick up the baby or hold her because she had a bad shoulder! What did she think she would be doing as a nanny? Sit in a corner and watch a 6 month old baby?!?!?

Old 08-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Well, as an aside, I spoke with the temp coordinator and so far, nothing has been done. So I'll just do my job then off I go I guess.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,092,584 times
It's possible that there is enough need for the light duty work that they decided to keep you on. If so, great for you. Could be the asst sup did not know that there were different classifications of employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment