Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 03:34 PM

209 posts, read 292,745 times

Advertisements

Yes. My last job. The very position I was terminated from last month. It took me a month to figure out that they did me a favor, long term. I used to get nausea, heart palpitations, and sweats all the time. As more and more crap was being heaped on me, I began working through my lunches and bringing the work home to do on my own time. As an hourly employee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM

163 posts, read 502,878 times
I'm so sorry. I have been there. A hostile work environment will make you sick.

I hope you are looking for another job. You really should be. That's no way to live.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:41 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,004,075 times
I guess it was physically sick. My left arm and hand got simultaneously numb and tingling -and my chest tightened.
Even while driving home, sometimes I could barely feel my hand, nor move it.
The symptoms disappeared after leaving that position.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:45 PM

103 posts, read 185,561 times
I saw the ambulance come to my work at least 5 different times (during 12 years)for people having panic attacks. In fact I even rushed a good friend to the clinic for her attack once. It's sad, but I worked at a high stress call center. The sad thing is I'm thinking about returning to that enviroment.
I had a temp job where I would sit in my car and cry every lunch and hope to be in a severe accident so I wouldn't have to go there. I wasn't suprised or even sad when they called and ended my assignment. I actually was relieved. That was a hostile place.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM

1,003 posts, read 1,613,250 times
I worked for an awful, micro-managing boss awhile back. Never in my life have I been so physically sick month after month. Stomach flu that kept returning, colds, and dizzy spells. My co-worker was only 29 and her doctor almost put her on high blood pressure meds! The witch ended up leaving the organization and wouldn't you know it, health returned.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:45 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,112,497 times
I have gotten physically sick from stress, but it wasn't from work, it was from other things. One time the bank made an error on my account put a hold on the account due to a $2,000 judgment. I received two certified letters from the bank on Saturday afternoon and the money in the account was already frozen. All Saturday night I thought I was having a heart attack or a stroke. A lady friend of mine said I was having a panic attack. I called the bank first thing on Monday morning and it was corrected in two hours. My bank account and health returned to normal. All the bank said was that mistakes are made sometimes. I would think that the bank would double check such court orders to make sure that they have the right account before they make such moves. They must be using the same minimum wage, ex-fast food workers that they used to robo-sign documents during the mortgage crisis.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:48 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,436,025 times
A couple of times. A few years ago working in the city I would get heart palpitations...

And a couple of years ago almost had a nervous breakdown...last time for that was about 15 years ago.

I now follow the saying "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger...it may even bring out the ahole in you"

Old 08-15-2013, 07:34 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,342,113 times
I'm horrified at these stories. I'm prone to get sick over stress but am fortunate (or not) that my work is the place I can get away from stress. Of course it's a demanding, multi-tasking type job but I'm pretty well suited for it.

I hope you are keeping yourself as healthy as possible by exercising, eating and sleeping as well as possible. I'd say document everything just in case you have to defend your decision to not work overtime...etc.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM

212 posts, read 1,004,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
At one of my previous jobs, I found it a little strange when they told me that they offered unlimited sick days.... that is, until I started actually working there. The job was so stressful that I perpetually kept a very large container of Tums on-hand, because my stomach was so out of wack.

Incidentally, only lasted about 8 months there before I had to throw in the towel. No job is worth physical issues which may follow you long after you vacate the position. Try to stick with it long enough to find a better job but don't beat yourself up if you have to bail before a new opportunity comes along.

Your health comes first, don't let Corporate tell you otherwise!
It's getting to that point where I'm ready to quit. I've been interviewing quite a bit lately but no offer yet - I'm wondering if interviewers can sense my desperation to leave my job!

It helps hearing all these stories and knowing others have been in similar (or worse) positions. Although, in my particular office I often wonder if I'm the only one getting sick from stress. Other people (who work on different teams) actually seem happy. Me, I work with that awful supervisor I already mentioned, plus I'm getting micro-managed by a coworker who's at the same level as me.

I forgot to note that for the past few weeks I've had horrible pain in my shoulders from all the tension - even aspirin doesn't help. Of course the pain magically goes away on the weekends, but suddenly comes back as soon as I step into my office.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 PM

7 posts, read 21,034 times
I've had anxiety so bad that it felt like my heart was going to explode. That was when I sat directly next to my supervisor and would get interrupted by her 5-10 times a day either telling me what I did wrong, or pretending like I did something wrong, only to backtrack moments later.

I don't sit next to her anymore, thank god, but the anxiety is still there, just on a smaller scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment