Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 02:03 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,436,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStalkingButler View Post
  • PhD in Accounting.
  • 10+ yrs experience.
  • Absolutely spotless criminal record.
  • Have completed 5 cashier certification exams.
  • $28k/yr.

Is that about right?
Funny I dropped my mom at Wal-Mart this morning and she was going on about the self-checkout lines. I mentioned in a few years there won't be any cashiers left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 02:12 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
If you give it them before they punch it in, what's the difference?

If you give them the quarter after the register's already open, then you're just f@cking with them.

I used to be a cashier (in high school) and people used to do that to me.
Yes, I've never had a problem giving any amount of money to any cashier as long as you give it to them first, and make it clear what you are doing. These days they almost always just punch it in, and the machine tell them the change. If you give it to them afterwards you are messing with the system, they have to ignore what the machine says and figure it in their head, and they have to do it very quickly or the customer will get annoyed, and the line will grow. Don't assume they are morons if they don't understand exactly what you are doing, most cashiers don't even work with cash that much anymore.

The most difficult aspect of being a cashier is dealing with upset people if their coupons don't work, or the line is long, and they deal with crap all day for little pay. People show their annoyance very quickly and it's not fun to deal with. It's more difficult than one might think to figure the math under pressure, especially when one is not used to doing it, and they know their manager will be checking their machine for a perfect balance before they leave and any discrepancies will affect their job.

I worked as a cashier at my first job at 16, at that time our machines did not figure change so I always had to figure it in my head. I was one of the few who could do it well, so I always ran the registers. It was not an easy job, if I wasn't lightening fast people would get annoyed and take it out on me, so the pressure was there, and I knew it had to be perfect at the end of shift. I did it with every transaction so my math became very good, cashiers now are going to be way out of practice.

Last edited by detshen; 08-18-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 08-18-2013, 02:59 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,548,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Yes, I've never had a problem giving any amount of money to any cashier as long as you give it to them first, and make it clear what you are doing. These days they almost always just punch it in, and the machine tell them the change. If you give it to them afterwards you are messing with the system, they have to ignore what the machine says and figure it in their head, and they have to do it very quickly or the customer will get annoyed, and the line will grow. Don't assume they are morons if they don't understand exactly what you are doing, most cashiers don't even work with cash that much anymore.

The most difficult aspect of being a cashier is dealing with upset people if their coupons don't work, or the line is long, and they deal with crap all day for little pay. People show their annoyance very quickly and it's not fun to deal with. It's more difficult than one might think to figure the math under pressure, especially when one is not used to doing it, and they know their manager will be checking their machine for a perfect balance before they leave and any discrepancies will affect their job.

I worked as a cashier at my first job at 16, at that time our machines did not figure change so I always had to figure it in my head. I was one of the few who could do it well, so I always ran the registers. It was not an easy job, if I wasn't lightening fast people would get annoyed and take it out on me, so the pressure was there, and I knew it had to be perfect at the end of shift. I did it with every transaction so my math became very good, cashiers now are going to be way out of practice.
This is very true. I wish horrible things upon people who have an attitude with cashiers because of little things like that.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:18 PM

332 posts, read 869,046 times
I think the only options for anyone with a bachelors, masters to get a job in the future is to start their own business ( cause everything in america is a business) or to work in healthcare which is always in high demand. What is your masters in that no one will give you a shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
In all honesty though...

I WISH they required a Masters or even pHd for jobs. Most every listing I've seen in my job field just requires a bachelors and X years of experience. Then, the employers screen you out based on their own whims. They give a sh@t if I have a Masters.

Even though, I don't have a pHd, I would gladly get one if I knew it DIRECTLY would open the door to exclusive jobs.

Retail jobs will never require a bachelors. The problem is that there are not enough white collar jobs related to those peoples degrees (or even not related). So, if a guy with a BA gets a floorperson job at Walmart, it's not because his BA beat out other guys without it. He just happened to be one of the guys who got the job.

But you guys see? That would be a GOOD thing. Your BA would give you first serve of retail jobs over those who don't have one. The reality is that is not the case at all.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:28 PM

They had self checkout lines at my local walmart which is in a highly populated area but then they were taken out for some reason. I think it is because either walmart people (poorer) probably scammed coupons or maybe didn't run merchandise thru and management just took all the self checkout lanes out. So maybe technology in stores won't prevail so fast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Funny I dropped my mom at Wal-Mart this morning and she was going on about the self-checkout lines. I mentioned in a few years there won't be any cashiers left.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:34 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,204,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
I think the only options for anyone with a bachelors, masters to get a job in the future is to start their own business ( cause everything in america is a business) or to work in healthcare which is always in high demand. What is your masters in that no one will give you a shot?
Starting a business is great until you realize you will have to deal with a healthcare system that is, conveniently for the large corporations who are the only ones who can afford it, tied to employment, and realize that a large number of business options have corporate competition replete with cheap offshore labor, and quantity discounts, which a small independent business can't compete with.

The younger generation must become very politically active if they hope to have any kind of a future in the US, otherwise plan to be slave to corporate America and accept whatever pittance they deem you deserve, which won't be much unless you are CEO, CFO, or other top level executive material, which usually means having wealthy parents who can give you all the best and hook you up with the right connections. Many studies have shown that upward class mobility is worse, and much less likely in the US than Europe and Canada. The American dream is now a fallacy.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 AM

I agree with you 100%. The american dream hasn't existed in a long time. A business started elsewhere in the world where healthcare, food, shelter is more affordable is much more likely to be successful. Other than that one may need to be a social extrovert or get in the healthcare industry. I guess if you can't beat them join them? The younger generation seems afraid to speak up and take action for themselves. It will be very hard to do. A lot of things are wrong in america right now. These include the astronomical costs of healthcare that only the affluent may afford without insurance, the rising cost of tuition and the hefty loans these accrue, and the rise of cost of living combine these with a unstable job and unstable job market and it seems extremely hard to make a decent living at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Starting a business is great until you realize you will have to deal with a healthcare system that is, conveniently for the large corporations who are the only ones who can afford it, tied to employment, and realize that a large number of business options have corporate competition replete with cheap offshore labor, and quantity discounts, which a small independent business can't compete with.

The younger generation must become very politically active if they hope to have any kind of a future in the US, otherwise plan to be slave to corporate America and accept whatever pittance they deem you deserve, which won't be much unless you are CEO, CFO, or other top level executive material, which usually means having wealthy parents who can give you all the best and hook you up with the right connections. Many studies have shown that upward class mobility is worse, and much less likely in the US than Europe and Canada. The American dream is now a fallacy.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,929,800 times
We are returning to what exsisted throughout history. And that is rich and poor.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk 4

Old 08-19-2013, 08:28 AM

1,923 posts, read 2,411,994 times
We've made obtaining a job more harder then it is to actually work it. Why though?

Old 08-19-2013, 02:52 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,191,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cra2ybeautiful View Post
They had self checkout lines at my local walmart which is in a highly populated area but then they were taken out for some reason. I think it is because either walmart people (poorer) probably scammed coupons or maybe didn't run merchandise thru and management just took all the self checkout lanes out. So maybe technology in stores won't prevail so fast.
From what I understand, they prefer not to have self checkout lines in stores/locations where there is a high chance of shoplifting or people skipping a few items when they scan (I could be wrong!). In such cases, hiring a few temp cashiers turns out much cheaper than hiring security to keep a check on how they are scanning while checking out their purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment