Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 12:52 PM

132 posts, read 293,763 times

Advertisements

So I consider myself to be pretty decent at using Excel. I am by far not an expert but I can do basic formulas such as v-lookups, pivot tables, charts & graphs, add, subtract, averages, and formatting cells etc... Basically I know enough to get by at least that's what I thought. On the other hand, there are things that I am not well versed in such as creating complex financial models from scratch, IF/AND statements, and using macros. If there was something I didn't know in Excel I would always look it up online or watch YouTube videos.

It appears to me B schools don't really teach Excel these days. Even when I was doing my MBA I didn't have a specific class dedicated to Excel. From speaking with HR and hiring managers this appears to be the #1 downfall with potential candidates. Most don't know how to fully use Excel. For instance, my previous job made me feel pretty stupid because I was expected to create complex financial models from scratch (something that was not indicated during the interview) and I felt this really held me back. I even took an Excel class but it didn't help me in modeling. I think it's one of those things you have to learn on the job. Unfortunately, my former employer didn't have the patience or encouraged me to better myself in that area of Excel.

With that being said, how versed are you in using Excel? What do companies expect from their employees with regards to Excel knowledge?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 02:02 PM

989 posts, read 1,870,942 times
Sounds like you know enough of Excel. Are you falling short on getting job offers due to lack of Excel expertise? I know enough excel to survive, but I've never had my feet put to the fire over my expertise or knowledge with the application. Oh, and for the record, most people only learn how to master this stuff while on the job when they have an opportunity to actually use it with real work related situations.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:20 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,025,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
What do companies expect from their employees with regards to Excel knowledge?
Wouldn't that depend on the job?
If one of the job responsibilities is to provide data analysis or developing "complex financial models from scratch", I would think that an ability to do this in Excel or an equivalent app is expected.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Sounds like you know enough of Excel. Are you falling short on getting job offers due to lack of Excel expertise? I know enough excel to survive, but I've never had my feet put to the fire over my expertise or knowledge with the application. Oh, and for the record, most people only learn how to master this stuff while on the job when they have an opportunity to actually use it with real work related situations.
I think so. The last job interview I had they asked me if I'm intermediate in excel. I explained what I could do so I don't know if that makes me intermediate.
Regardless I didn't get the job and I don't know if it was due to them thinking I'm not intermediate with excel.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,329,413 times
It depends on the position. Your level, which might be considered 6 on a scale of 1-10, would be fine for most of the people that report to me. There are a couple of others, though, that are more analytical and require not only those more expert skills in Excel but also ability to use business intelligence software such as Jaspersoft and Tableau. If these are not being taught in colleges people need to take outside or online classes. We ask some pretty specific questions and may even require a work sample project to evaluate applicants, and then have a probationary period so there is little chance of getting by without really knowing what you are doing.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM

I can live with being a 6.

With my last employer I scored a 73 on a MS excel proficiency exam....still wasn't good enough in their eyes.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,703,664 times
I am great at Excel, including macros. I never understood the prerequisite for advanced Excel, everything can easily be learned OJT.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,349,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watusi View Post
So I consider myself to be pretty decent at using Excel. I am by far not an expert but I can do basic formulas such as v-lookups, pivot tables, charts & graphs, add, subtract, averages, and formatting cells etc... Basically I know enough to get by at least that's what I thought. On the other hand, there are things that I am not well versed in such as creating complex financial models from scratch, IF/AND statements, and using macros. If there was something I didn't know in Excel I would always look it up online or watch YouTube videos.

It appears to me B schools don't really teach Excel these days. Even when I was doing my MBA I didn't have a specific class dedicated to Excel. From speaking with HR and hiring managers this appears to be the #1 downfall with potential candidates. Most don't know how to fully use Excel. For instance, my previous job made me feel pretty stupid because I was expected to create complex financial models from scratch (something that was not indicated during the interview) and I felt this really held me back. I even took an Excel class but it didn't help me in modeling. I think it's one of those things you have to learn on the job. Unfortunately, my former employer didn't have the patience or encouraged me to better myself in that area of Excel.

With that being said, how versed are you in using Excel? What do companies expect from their employees with regards to Excel knowledge?
Sounds like you need a financial valuation class or modeling class. Your Excel skills are fine you just have to put things together. BTW the B-school I attended did teach financial/business modeling.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:29 PM

17,574 posts, read 46,008,278 times
I would wonder why anyone would need to develop complex financial models from scratch. Why not start with something that already exists and modify it? I have a "library" of excel and power point files I have built up over time that I always have access to.

Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Sounds like you need a financial valuation class or modeling class. Your Excel skills are fine you just have to put things together. BTW the B-school I attended did teach financial/business modeling.
I think you are correct. I'm actually looking online for classes that teach financial evaluation and or modeling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment