Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 03:07 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times

Advertisements

I don't get any complaints about my work, on the contrary. But my current manager joked that they never hear from me. And my previous employer used to mention the same thing. I work outdoors alone currently. If there is an issue that needs resolving, I'd certainly contact a manager without hesitation. But tbh I just don't see the point in calling in to chit chat

In fact I find it weird that they even say this to me. Would they prefer I constantly bug them with trivial issues? I just do the job I'm paid to do, and I generally don't have any problems.

So do any of you lone workers just get on with it, or call in all the time to say hi or whatever? I don't know, maybe other workers on the team have constant difficulties

I'm not the small talk type anyway, so any attempt at it would seem forced. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 PM

818 posts, read 917,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmaan View Post
I don't get any complaints about my work, on the contrary. But my current manager joked that they never hear from me. And my previous employer used to mention the same thing. I work outdoors alone currently. If there is an issue that needs resolving, I'd certainly contact a manager without hesitation. But tbh I just don't see the point in calling in to chit chat

In fact I find it weird that they even say this to me. Would they prefer I constantly bug them with trivial issues? I just do the job I'm paid to do, and I generally don't have any problems.

So do any of you lone workers just get on with it, or call in all the time to say hi or whatever? I don't know, maybe other workers on the team have constant difficulties

I'm not the small talk type anyway, so any attempt at it would seem forced. What do you think?
I would have to say you are correct. If most of your co-workers are like mine ( younger and a bunch of butt kissing , lazy morons.. ) They tie up the boss with the pathetic , useless drama every day

Old 08-23-2013, 07:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
It seems like there should be some kind of standard or expected behavior. Have you been told to call and check messages? Do you have work e-mail?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:57 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
It was probably a GOOD "joking" comment. Not everything is negative out there. Could have easily been a "dang, I gotta check if Joe is still alive - work orders are going out, jobs are getting done, and not a peep... Hope he's not subbing that work out!"

Since small talk isn't your thing, maybe call in every 3-4 days to verify that all pending orders have been cleared.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Quote:

Might be the manager's way of trying to keep tabs on you. Kind of a passive aggressive way of saying that he/she thinks you may not actually be working.

Might have to call and check in once in a while, especially if this is the second time someone has brought it up.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 PM

517 posts, read 1,704,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It seems like there should be some kind of standard or expected behavior. Have you been told to call and check messages? Do you have work e-mail?
I have email and send a report back daily. The work is sent via email also without any comments. I just send the report back without any comments also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Since small talk isn't your thing, maybe call in every 3-4 days to verify that all pending orders have been cleared.
They know the work is done because they can see results at their end in the office. No results = getting fired So with their daily reports and results coming in they know exactly what I'm up to without me telling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
Might be the manager's way of trying to keep tabs on you. Kind of a passive aggressive way of saying that he/she thinks you may not actually be working.
Might have to call and check in once in a while, especially if this is the second time someone has brought it up.
They used to say the same thing at my previous employer, but they were very happy with my work rate. I was basically their top guy. Some managers did see my lack of calls as a positive actually, saying "I didn't bug them all the time with problems". They don't need to keep tabs on me at all, for reasons mentioned above.

I get the impression it's more a social thing I'm missing here. I was never great at social stuff so it's no surprise I'm doing something that's maybe "wrong" to some people. The office is full of chatty sales type people and I guess they find it weird that someone prefers to just do their job and doesn't want a pat on the back or whatever. I admit I look at work pretty coldly. They pay me to do something so I do it. That's the bottom line. It doesn't mean I am the managers best friend or that I expect praise. Don't misread this as really unfriendly though. When I see them now and then I make an effort to be warm and friendly.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:04 PM

21,863 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Not really.

I'll confirm when I receive assignments (usually just a simple "thanks, got it") email and turn my work in. If it slows down, I'll start calling around fishing for more work. If something non-standard happens, I'll email or call (depending on urgency) since you're the one having interaction with the clients and otherwise they'll never know about it, ditto if I have a question but that doesn't happen all that often. If I'm going to miss a deadline, I call as soon as I know it, fortunately I've only had to do that twice ever. Other than that, however, I just do my work and turn it in on time.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
I would not worry about it all that much, most managers would prefer that their people get the work done and do not harass them constantly. Especially with the type of job you seem to have.

Now I used to be in sales, and for a long time worked from home. some of those managers did not like when they did not hear from me until a deal was done and I was submitting the paperwork to get paid, they wanted to feel important and that I needed them but I was past the point of kissing up, and my numbers were always good enough that I never had to worry about my supervisors really being all that upset (their pay included being paid off my production).

Old 08-23-2013, 09:39 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,398,883 times
Quote:
I have email and send a report back daily. The work is sent via email also without any comments. I just send the report back without any comments also.

They know the work is done because they can see results at their end in the office. No results = getting fired So with their daily reports and results coming in they know exactly what I'm up to without me telling them.

They used to say the same thing at my previous employer, but they were very happy with my work rate. I was basically their top guy. Some managers did see my lack of calls as a positive actually, saying "I didn't bug them all the time with problems". They don't need to keep tabs on me at all, for reasons mentioned above.

I get the impression it's more a social thing I'm missing here. I was never great at social stuff so it's no surprise I'm doing something that's maybe "wrong" to some people. The office is full of chatty sales type people and I guess they find it weird that someone prefers to just do their job and doesn't want a pat on the back or whatever. I admit I look at work pretty coldly. They pay me to do something so I do it. That's the bottom line. It doesn't mean I am the managers best friend or that I expect praise. Don't misread this as really unfriendly though. When I see them now and then I make an effort to be warm and friendly.
Yes. I know you likely have a fully automated system that tracks your work. My point was to give you a chance to call in with something that was a straight yes/no answer so you:

A. Made the attempt/contact
B. Didn't get stuck with mindless chit chat.

Clean, simple and done.

Old 08-24-2013, 03:43 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,991,475 times
Quote:

Sounds like you have everything under control! Sounds like a nice job, especially since you have what seems to be a lot of freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment