Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM

341 posts, read 1,233,351 times

Advertisements

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Business Management. I've been having a very difficult time finding an entry level job and it's been almost 8 months since I've graduated. I've been on a few interviews with companies but most of the time after the 2nd interview or job shadowing they end up going with someone else who is a "better fit" or with more experience. For about two years I've been really interested in the HR field so I've been applying for HR entry level jobs like assistant, administrative, associate, rep, etc. Most times I get turned down but I've gotten 3-4 interviews in the past 8 months and they always say I interview good and like me but someone else had more experience.

I've had over 5 years of customer service experience and some administrative work so I don't know what the big deal is. I type over 100 wpm with 97% accuracy if I don't proof read and I'm very familiar with Microsoft Office. Also, I graduated with honors with a GPA of 3.8

I'm getting very discouraged here. I just accepted a job offer for a customer call center and I just took it because I thought maybe just MAYBE I can advance some how. Anyways, now I'm regretting it because it's just part time, I'd be working two different locations 30-40 minutes from my house, and work holidays with no extra pay just regular pay.

I just got a call for an internship interview. It is part time, 3 months, not paid, very close to my house and has all the experience I'm looking to gain in an HR position. Honestly the idea of taking this internship is more exciting even though it is unpaid. I could take this internship if offered while working part time for my parent's business so I have some type of income.

So will an internship help me for future jobs in HR? It seems that my issue is experience....Please let me know if you have any good experience with internships and jobs...or even call centers and advancing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 01:58 PM

258 posts, read 422,567 times
I am not in HR, so I could be off base, but if the internship would give you experience in what you want to do and what you are looking into paid positions doing, I don't see how it could hurt. It would add experience, which would be a plus over what you have now, and also show prospective employers that this is a career you are actively persuing, rather than looking for anything entry level to pay your bills. Not only would it give you experience, but would also give you at least one person who could be a professional reference so prospective employers can get a better idea of how well you would do with the position.

~Katy

Old 08-23-2013, 02:00 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,019,801 times
TAKE the internship, it can only help. Even if it's not a job with that company, it can be with someone else.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
I am not in HR, so I could be off base, but if the internship would give you experience in what you want to do and what you are looking into paid positions doing, I don't see how it could hurt. It would add experience, which would be a plus over what you have now, and also show prospective employers that this is a career you are actively persuing, rather than looking for anything entry level to pay your bills. Not only would it give you experience, but would also give you at least one person who could be a professional reference so prospective employers can get a better idea of how well you would do with the position.

~Katy
Thanks guys. I was feeling discouraged reading and googling articles that say internships don't really help especially if unpaid

Old 08-23-2013, 02:21 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,087,762 times
Definitely take the internship. If you can survive on part time pay for 3 months, it'll be worth it. Any experience in your field will be better than working at a call center.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
We hire interns (paid at about $25/hour) and they almost always find a permanent job after with the experienced gained, some, if there happens to be an opening, get a job with us. We usually have 1-2 a year that are in HR.

Old 08-23-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We hire interns (paid at about $25/hour) and they almost always find a permanent job after with the experienced gained, some, if there happens to be an opening, get a job with us. We usually have 1-2 a year that are in HR.

Wow, most internships I see aren't paid, if they are it's very little. Usually the big companies that hold internships pay more but it's a summer internship and really competitive. I with probably over hundreds applying, I've tried.

What's your company and is it in Ohio?

Last edited by Michelle21689; 08-23-2013 at 03:05 PM..

Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,662 posts, read 81,403,499 times
Sorry, no, we are in WA only, the local port authority. Our internships are summer only, except for the graduate internships. We are not all that big, just 2,000 employees.

Old 08-23-2013, 04:44 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,608,960 times
Yes take that internship! Of course you would much prefer it to be paid- wouldn't anyone? But if unpaid is the only way for you to get experience then take it.

If the issue is experience (and almost always is when getting that first job)then something is better than nothing, even if that nothing ends up being unpaid.

Still once you have the unpaid I would still look for paid work on the side

Old 08-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Some articles and people tell me to be skeptical and cautious because it sounds suspicious that this internship is unpaid and for three months. I thought that was normal? in my area it's hard to find paid internships.

A month ago I had the chance to accept a minimum wage HR internship but I declined because I learned from the interview I wouldn't be doing much just one aspect of HR which is finding people and doing a phone interview. Not to mention it was about 40 min away and only a month? Really a month?? With no opportunity to hire.

Whereas this internship that's unpaid seems much more informative with a lot to teach. Check it out and let me know if it sounds legit.

http://internships.jobs.net/j/human-...FVSNY0B4Y.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment