U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the most common form of fighting at your workplace?
People at my employer will yell and scream at each other 2 8.70%
People will give the people they do not like the silent treatment 3 13.04%
They will go to the employees boss and talk about them behind their back 16 69.57%
They will get in an email memo war 2 8.70%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM

238 posts, read 1,072,645 times

Advertisements

It seems like there is more and more conflict at work than ever. But how people fight seems like it has changed from when I first started to work full time back in the 1970s. I wonder how people fight at the place you work. Please chime in and respond to my survey.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 03:52 PM

1,408 posts, read 7,612,436 times
Well my office is all women so our fights range from not performing to just plain she has an attitude or my favorite why did she just look at me that way when I said x.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:50 PM

947 posts, read 3,355,943 times
At one of my previous jobs, I had some spats with a sales guy due to the fact he thought he was my Program Director/boss and in charge of me.

The only other disagreement I had was when I suggested doing something a different way, my co-workers didn't like it, saying I was "taught wrong" back east.

We had 15 people full time, including sales, management and on air staff at a 2 station cluster in a small North Dakota down of 14,000 people.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM

8,178 posts, read 17,176,969 times
We have 3 distinct divisions in our office
1) Ones that are riding it out for retirement...work ok but don't go out of their way to take on anything more...those don't bother me, after 25+ yrs they deserve that.
2) The ones that are always on time, never abuse the break and lunch hours.
Don't get involved in the Office politics, do their jobs and not afraid to take on extra tasks.....job description does say "fill in where needed"
3)These are the ones that drive me insane. Boohooing about the work on their desks(but could get it done if they weren't talking on the phone or gossiping about others) they are so mistreated..they've been here longer than the boss so they don't really have to listen to her. They can be out sick because of a hang-nail but if anybody else uses the same excuse, they are lazy and should be fired. All the ones in group 2 are the bosses pets and get away with everything. They are usually the cause of the office politics and the loss of special privledges. Thinks if they actually have to pitch in and pick up a fax for a co-worker they should get extra pay.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:55 AM

2,178 posts, read 8,904,710 times
My biggest on the job problem was a person that thought he had authority when the boss was out, trying to run everything, telling everyone to do stuff the boss would have been upset about and gotten us chewed out, when he got back. When the boss was around, honey dripped off of him, when the boss was out, he was like a bull dozer trying to run all over us.

Bad part was, it made that guy look like a idiot pulling what he was trying to pull. The boss would tell us all in FRONT of him at meetings that he had NO authority, yet he kept trying to convience us he did... DUH!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:52 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,791,028 times
People are always on these silly power wars.
They use backbiting, sabotage, and other unsavory ploys.
I have found no matter how good of an employee I am, it has never gotten me ahead. I have not been willing to be cutthroat or play dirty, so I have not ever gotten ahead at any job I have had.
The world rewards those who are vicious. And this is supposedly a Judeo-Christian nation....what's up with that?

Old 11-18-2007, 02:03 AM

850 posts, read 3,364,655 times
My boss and I are always sending professional/nasty emails back and forth. They are very "proper" emails, but boy do we get going back and forth with some nasty and witty emails.

My boss is so unorganized and he/she is ALWAYS right. This person will never acknowledge that he/she has made a mistake, is annoying, and doesn't understand our working relationship. I'm not just going to sit back and take the stupid emails in without saying anything! I have to respond with something other than, "Oh okay, whatever you say Ma'am/Sir." If he/she is going to send me a malicious and rude email, he/she is going to get one right back!

Old 11-18-2007, 08:58 AM

673 posts, read 2,986,933 times
I've seen it all, the email wars, the running to the boss every time someone does something that another doesnt approve of, but I've also seeing the yelling wars between engineers, designers, and even supervisors. It can get crazy at times. I've seen one employee walked out and put into anger management when he didnt even do anything THAT bad! The supervisor was using his "power" to show him he could do whatever he wanted. So that was crazy. My husband works at the same place and a guy who sits in his cube throws things, including his chair, keyboard, and other crap on his desk. There is NO WAY I'd put up with that kind of crap around me! I never had anyone throw things near me, but the yelling has gotten quite interesting before. Usually we all just sit and listen in. LOL And I work in an office enviroment!

Old 11-18-2007, 10:57 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,643,896 times
I have a funny, but sad, story. My last job position, I found that a person under me had been hit in the face with a flying object by the "boss" I replaced. I wondered why she did not immediately file a legal complaint. She just shrugged and laughed it off. And found out he was not fired for that reason either! A few months later, she quit the job, and I find out she went over to work for him!! Go figure....

Old 11-18-2007, 04:19 PM

4,980 posts, read 8,791,028 times
I know what that is...I've seen that play crapola at work...feigned anger, they throw stuff and pretend they are angry at each other. Like little kids, they love the drama, and that is why she went to work for him.
That is why she laughed it off. I saw one employee punch a doctor once, and she laughed, and he left the room.
They had some very odd dynamics, stuff I would never do at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment