Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 AM

133 posts, read 498,315 times

Advertisements

I graduated from college 2+ years ago with a bachelors degree in a liberal arts field and a minor in mathematics, but took a job in a factory after graduation. I've gained some experience with welding in my current job, but nowhere near enough for any certifications or turning it into a career. The only full time jobs in the area that pay a living wage are medical, teaching, and my current job. I feel stuck in my current job for the time being due to FMLA benefits that I need, but I can feel my anxiety and depression skyrocketing daily at work (partially due to factors outside of work). I transferred departments hoping some of my work stress would improve (mostly caused by the dept supervisor), but it has only gotten worse. I am considering a new job but don't feel like I am qualified for anything in the area. Again, I need to either stay with my current employer for my FMLA benefits or find a new employer willing to work with my schedule. I also need a job with health insurance. I can't move out of the area, but there is a community college within half an hour of me. I could retrain at my own expense for a new career, but the only options that would be useful are welding, electrical, nursing, medical billing/coding, or automotive repair. If I try to maintain my current job while doing so, the only options that would work are welding, electrical, or billing/coding. Welding would just land me at my current employer. Billing and coding would be the easiest route for me schedule wise, but it would be at my own expense. I doubt I would be able to gather enough letters of recommendation to get into graduate school. I am leaning towards billing and coding, but the money aspect is holding me back. I am not sure how much longer I can handle my current employer (but I enjoy the actual work). What would you do in my current situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment