U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,177 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi. I am a recent college graduate and my major is in chemistry. I've been looking for jobs within my major and also entry-level jobs not related to my major like administrative work. I may not be able to find jobs related to my major right away so I also applied for other jobs. What I noticed is that during my interviews for jobs not related to my major, the interviewers tell me that they are looking for a person who will be working in their company for a long time. Right from there, I know I can't say much anymore because whatever I say, they already know that I won't be here for long and know that I am here just for a paycheck for the time being, which is what everyone is doing. I don't know why they called me in for an interview and made it obvious that they most likely won't consider me working in their company, which is a waste of both of our time. It seems as if they would rather hire someone who dropped out of college or even a high school graduate. This makes a college graduate looks bad compared to one who chooses to drop out of college. I feel really upset because that means I can't apply to any jobs not related to my major, and I don't want to not have a job at all while I look for positions related to my major. I am now discouraged because my job search is only limited to temp agencies. I don't mind working as a temp. So I'm just wondering has anyone experienced this situation before? You may share your story or give an advice and that'll be great. Thank you.

And please, don't advise me to go ask family, friends, or people I know around. I can tell you that my family like cousins are all selfish. They don't care about anyone else but themselves and they already have jobs and are successful. And my friends and others, they can't help much because they either have their own jobs or are too busy with their own lives to even help me while others the best they can do is kindly listen to my story and feel pity for me.

And embarrassing to say, I am 23 and never had a job before since I focused in school for a long time. During the summer, I would go to summer school instead of getting a part-time job. I sort of regret that I didn't work when I was in high school and in college, I am too busy with study and trying to maintain my gpa because my science classes are tough and require hours of studying and preparing for lab experiments. I only did some volunteer work when I have time, hoping to get some experience even though it is not paid. Some of my friends are in the same situation as I am, but they have a job (even if it doesn't relate to their majors) now because they get it through a family member like their older brother or sister-in-law while I have nobody because I am the oldest and only have a younger brother who will be depending on me for his college education later on. I don't mind volunteering, but I don't want to keep volunteering forever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM
 
120 posts, read 181,518 times
Reputation: 98
You're exactly right. If you get a Bachelor's and don't have enough skills and experience to get you into a real career right out of college, then you're in No Man's Land. You're not qualified for a simple job like Administrative Assistant or Warehouse Laborer because they'd rather hire a high school grad who has spent the last 4 yrs in one of those roles and who isn't planning on using that job as a placeholder until he can find one that actually uses his academic background. You're not qualified for a career that uses your academic background because the "entry-level" requires 2-5 yrs industry experience and they prefer a M.S. or Ph.D.

I'm in the same position as you. Here's a transcription of my last phone conversation when I was trying to get a temporary job:

Me: "Yes, I'm calling about the warehouse position I came across on Craig's List."
Her: "Okay, what's your warehouse experience?"
[bear in mind that the listing didn't say experience was required]
Me: "None."
Her: "What was your last job?"
Me: "My last job was a tutoring position I held during college a few months ago. I have since graduated."
Her: "If you graduated from college, why are you applying at a warehouse?"
Me: "For now I need work."
Her: "Well, sorry, but we're looking for someone who is going to be here long-term because our training period goes through December."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Middle Earth
952 posts, read 1,036,251 times
Reputation: 1864
1) Have you tried temp agencies? I don't know how they are now, but back then (pre-modern depression) they would take anyone who's willing to work regardless of degree. Of course, these would be for the lower end admin jobs.

2) Or maybe it's easier if you just leave off your college degree from your resume if you're applying for something that does not require a college degree.

3) Maybe you can tell them that you realize that chemistry isn't for you after all and you're trying to break into a different field (the one you're applying for). At least that's what I did. I had a degree in merchandising, but applied for finance jobs.

Sorry, I'm having my own issues as well. (One of) my issue is I have 10+ years of experience and the jobs I want are aimed at recent college graduates or people with masters degrees and 100 years of executive experience. I'm pretty much stuck in the middle. There's no room for middle class anymore.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:34 PM
 
18,088 posts, read 17,077,000 times
Reputation: 25191
Kind of counters the "college grads feel entitled" argument.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:46 PM
 
1,500 posts, read 2,719,277 times
Reputation: 3598
Remember you are competing for jobs: selling some skill, experience, or education to offer a potential employer. If you don't have any of the three, yes, of course it's going to be difficult.

No one wants to hire an employee, take on the time and expense of training, only to be "dumped" when something better comes along. The person who told you in the interview that they wanted someone long term was hoping and waiting for you to say "oh, but I am looking to take a long term position".

I wouldn't worry about not having part time work from college. When I see on a resume someone listed their experience waiting tables at Olive Garden when they went to college, I have to wonder why. Unless the job is related to the position, I frankly don't care about the part time work a college kid did in order to have beer money. Yes, I can use my imagination and see how waiting tables could relate to all sorts of professional jobs (servers work hard and put up with a lot of jerks), but if you're not drawing that connection for some people, they don't care to take the time figuring it out because they have 50 other resumes to sort through.

Sounds like you are doing the right things - temp'ing and volunteering. Make sure the skills and experiences on your resume from those two are accurate and can be applied to other positions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 PM
 
16,377 posts, read 20,994,730 times
Reputation: 14347
Maybe modify your resume so it looks like you attended 2.5 years of college. Just for the admin type jobs.

If they do a background check (after you accept the offer but before you start) and find out that you graduated, I wonder if they would rescind the offer or allow you to work there anyway.

What do you have to lose? If they rescind the offer, then you are in the same place you would be if your graduation date was on the resume(no job).

You should apply at hospitals. And put your graduation date/degree for all hospital jobs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:03 PM
 
10,895 posts, read 14,869,891 times
Reputation: 13397
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon89 View Post
Hi. I am a recent college graduate and my major is in chemistry. I've been looking for jobs within my major and also entry-level jobs not related to my major like administrative work. I may not be able to find jobs related to my major right away so I also applied for other jobs. What I noticed is that during my interviews for jobs not related to my major, the interviewers tell me that they are looking for a person who will be working in their company for a long time. Right from there, I know I can't say much anymore because whatever I say, they already know that I won't be here for long and know that I am here just for a paycheck for the time being, which is what everyone is doing. I don't know why they called me in for an interview and made it obvious that they most likely won't consider me working in their company, which is a waste of both of our time. It seems as if they would rather hire someone who dropped out of college or even a high school graduate. This makes a college graduate looks bad compared to one who chooses to drop out of college. I feel really upset because that means I can't apply to any jobs not related to my major, and I don't want to not have a job at all while I look for positions related to my major. I am now discouraged because my job search is only limited to temp agencies. I don't mind working as a temp. So I'm just wondering has anyone experienced this situation before? You may share your story or give an advice and that'll be great. Thank you.

And please, don't advise me to go ask family, friends, or people I know around. I can tell you that my family like cousins are all selfish. They don't care about anyone else but themselves and they already have jobs and are successful. And my friends and others, they can't help much because they either have their own jobs or are too busy with their own lives to even help me while others the best they can do is kindly listen to my story and feel pity for me.

And embarrassing to say, I am 23 and never had a job before since I focused in school for a long time. During the summer, I would go to summer school instead of getting a part-time job. I sort of regret that I didn't work when I was in high school and in college, I am too busy with study and trying to maintain my gpa because my science classes are tough and require hours of studying and preparing for lab experiments. I only did some volunteer work when I have time, hoping to get some experience even though it is not paid. Some of my friends are in the same situation as I am, but they have a job (even if it doesn't relate to their majors) now because they get it through a family member like their older brother or sister-in-law while I have nobody because I am the oldest and only have a younger brother who will be depending on me for his college education later on. I don't mind volunteering, but I don't want to keep volunteering forever.
I think it SHOULD be that way.

How would you like it if you had a MS in Chemistry and were applying for lab jobs, and companies decided that anybody with any degree was good enough, and decided to hire someone who had a degree in Political Science over you because they liked the cut of his jib.

That said, there are lots of degrees where your degree doesn't matter as much. You mentioned administrative work, that is one of them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 03:57 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,177 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
1) Have you tried temp agencies? I don't know how they are now, but back then (pre-modern depression) they would take anyone who's willing to work regardless of degree. Of course, these would be for the lower end admin jobs.

2) Or maybe it's easier if you just leave off your college degree from your resume if you're applying for something that does not require a college degree.

3) Maybe you can tell them that you realize that chemistry isn't for you after all and you're trying to break into a different field (the one you're applying for). At least that's what I did. I had a degree in merchandising, but applied for finance jobs.

Sorry, I'm having my own issues as well. (One of) my issue is I have 10+ years of experience and the jobs I want are aimed at recent college graduates or people with masters degrees and 100 years of executive experience. I'm pretty much stuck in the middle. There's no room for middle class anymore.
1) Yeah, I am checking out temp agencies right now. That seems like the only option.

2) I have thought about leaving off my college degree from my resume before too, but I'm afraid if they go through a background, they will know that I lied. Would that look bad on me then?

3) That does seem like a good idea. I'm not sure if it's going 100% work.

Wow! You seem to have a lot of years of experience. How come you're going for jobs that are aimed at recent college graduates?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 04:03 PM
 
9 posts, read 17,177 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
You're exactly right. If you get a Bachelor's and don't have enough skills and experience to get you into a real career right out of college, then you're in No Man's Land. You're not qualified for a simple job like Administrative Assistant or Warehouse Laborer because they'd rather hire a high school grad who has spent the last 4 yrs in one of those roles and who isn't planning on using that job as a placeholder until he can find one that actually uses his academic background. You're not qualified for a career that uses your academic background because the "entry-level" requires 2-5 yrs industry experience and they prefer a M.S. or Ph.D.

I'm in the same position as you. Here's a transcription of my last phone conversation when I was trying to get a temporary job:

Me: "Yes, I'm calling about the warehouse position I came across on Craig's List."
Her: "Okay, what's your warehouse experience?"
[bear in mind that the listing didn't say experience was required]
Me: "None."
Her: "What was your last job?"
Me: "My last job was a tutoring position I held during college a few months ago. I have since graduated."
Her: "If you graduated from college, why are you applying at a warehouse?"
Me: "For now I need work."
Her: "Well, sorry, but we're looking for someone who is going to be here long-term because our training period goes through December."
Yeah, I know! Everything you said is exactly what I had in mind. That is how I am feeling right now. I am stuck in a situation that I don't know how I or anyone can help me solve it. I don't get it. If the job posting didn't say experience is required, why do they ask you for experience? Shouldn't be doing that. I don't understand the term "entry-level" anymore. I've always thought it is little to no experience, but 2-5 years is definitely a lot for a recent graduate. I can apply to 100s of jobs and if they want entry level that 2-5 years of experience, I can never get a job that way. It makes me feel my degree is useless that way.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2013, 04:11 PM
 
Location: Eastern Colorado
3,873 posts, read 5,361,079 times
Reputation: 5259
To me your problem is not your degree, or that you have not had a real job to this point, your problem is that you are making it clear that you really have no interest in sticking with a job long term and will be looking for a job in your field ASAP.

You are asking a company to take the time to go through the interview process, and train you for a job, with them realizing that they will be doing the exact same thing as soon as you find a different job, which could be a few weeks.

The place I would look for a job would be a call center or as someone else said a temp company. The pay will not be all that great, but most of them understand they are going to get people that will be looking for a better job, and have built their training/hiring system to deal with the fallout of employees.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top