Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 03:44 PM

120 posts, read 193,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Then why are you on your 3rd or 4th handle/account?
Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 04:00 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
I was in a similar boat after graduation, and then after a layoff after 6 months of working.

1. Find part time work. School is starting, you can do math tutoring again, or look at Kaplan if you have a high GPA. I imagine Kumon as well is a good fit.

2. Start networking. You have applied to lots of jobs now. ANd some of them are still open. Use linkedin, see if you have a connection with the likely hiring manager or boss. You can sometimes skip the line of the recruiter if you have a personal connection. Go to networking events. Alumni meetups, groups for young professionals etc. You may have a lead that way.

3. Get creative so you'll get noticed. One tactic I used was that I made a target list of companies, around 10 or so, did some research on who the people I would want to work for in those companies, and emailed them all. Sometimes you can get the email address from the receptionist. Other times you have to extrapolate. With linkedin, it is much much easier these days. Or signup for Jigsaw.

4. There are always opportunities for growth, even in a crappy job. I turned my retail jobs in my early 20s, during the big dotcom bust, into resume builders. Volunteering to plan store events, do store customer service and so on. All ended up being helpful resume skills for marketing, sales and account management later on.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I was in a similar boat after graduation, and then after a layoff after 6 months of working.

1. Find part time work. School is starting, you can do math tutoring again, or look at Kaplan if you have a high GPA. I imagine Kumon as well is a good fit.

2. Start networking. You have applied to lots of jobs now. ANd some of them are still open. Use linkedin, see if you have a connection with the likely hiring manager or boss. You can sometimes skip the line of the recruiter if you have a personal connection. Go to networking events. Alumni meetups, groups for young professionals etc. You may have a lead that way.

3. Get creative so you'll get noticed. One tactic I used was that I made a target list of companies, around 10 or so, did some research on who the people I would want to work for in those companies, and emailed them all. Sometimes you can get the email address from the receptionist. Other times you have to extrapolate. With linkedin, it is much much easier these days. Or signup for Jigsaw.

4. There are always opportunities for growth, even in a crappy job. I turned my retail jobs in my early 20s, during the big dotcom bust, into resume builders. Volunteering to plan store events, do store customer service and so on. All ended up being helpful resume skills for marketing, sales and account management later on.
Sounds like great advice!

Old 09-08-2013, 04:47 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnowerOfThings View Post
Huh?
You know:

GlitteringPrizes
AStalkingButler

that we know of.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:56 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Quote:
I don't understand how you think I have an attitude problem. First of all, if I did project a dismal attitude on this forum, that doesn't mean I do in real life. Thank God that people don't typically act in real life how they do on the internet.
If that we're true, which I doubt, then at a minimum your posts and status updates still show immaturity, poor judgment, or both. Either of which will severely hinder your job prospects.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:35 PM

2,210 posts, read 3,494,837 times
Quote:
Why do people always say this? Internships are for currently enrolled students.
Not always. Maybe this loser attitude is why you can't get anywhere?

Old 09-08-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Digby Sellers View Post
Not always. Maybe this loser attitude is why you can't get anywhere?
What are you talking about? If an internship opportunity explicitly says under its minimum requirements that you must be a currently enrolled sophomore or junior at an accredited university, then that's what they're looking for.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
If that we're true, which I doubt, then at a minimum your posts and status updates still show immaturity, poor judgment, or both. Either of which will severely hinder your job prospects.
Whatever.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,605,513 times
there are some internships that are for "recently graduated students" and even internships that don't require you to be in school. Yes the majority of internships do require you to be enrolled but not every single internship has that requirement. In any case I would not automatically eliminate internships from the career picture

Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? If an internship opportunity explicitly says under its minimum requirements that you must be a currently enrolled sophomore or junior at an accredited university, then that's what they're looking for.
Those are the ones that want to pay you in credits.

But reach out to those companies anyway and offer to be an intern for 90 days or something. You might be able to work out a stipend (I am assuming you don't have a ton of expenses yet). You might impress them. Or they might have a small budget to pay someone.

The most important rule, just because you don't match the job requirements exactly doesn't mean you have no hope. You never know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment