Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2015, 03:53 PM

2 posts, read 3,984 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

First, I would like to admit that a few months back I made a huge mistake. I usually try to exercise self-control over myself but I was out of state for a conference and ended up driving when I should not have. I'll spare the details. If you want to attack my character, by all means go ahead. I deserve any criticism especially from those who have had their life impacted by drunk drivers.

With that being said I am in my mid 20's and currently have a job that is contracted out for a year. My employer intends to keep me on since I was honest about my situation and have no prior criminal background. My girlfriend and I are intending to move out east since we both want to work in international affairs, politics and humanitarian work.

I wanted to know, from anyone's perspective, how a dui would impact my job applications. Stating the obvious, I know that my chances of working with the government have gone down the tubes, at least for five years. However when working with academic, think tank or non-profits, how would a dui impact my application? I do not intend to have a job that involves a company car, or driving much for that matter. (I intend to not even have a car)

Just want some honest candid advice. I am looking to address this situation as an adult and be responsible for my past actions.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2015, 05:53 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,142 times
I don't think you have anything to worry about nor need to mention on a job application. It's not a felony.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:16 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
I don't think it is going to have any impact at all, especially if you will not be driving a company car.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:26 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
I'm an ex HR person, though not in the industries you are seeking - I was with a natiinall CPA firm. They tend to be conservative.

Here's how we usually reacted. If the applicant told us about the issue during face to face interviews AND told us the whole truth and nothing but the truth, we usually let one single DUI slide. If we found out after we ran the DMV report and the applicant didn't warn us, he/she

A lot can be overlooked when a candidate is upfront and honest. Somebody who keeps their mouth shut hoping we'd never find the issue - that's not a good hire.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,984 times
Thanks for your input guys. It helps put my mind at ease a little bit.

A friend of mine said today that it should not be a major issue as long as I am honest and keep my record clean from here on out. She also emphasized to do really well at my current job and utilize a reference to help show my character after the incident.

Any more input is welcomed!

Old 08-30-2015, 02:56 PM

293 posts, read 317,131 times
It should not hurt you if this is your only legal issue. Just be honest and stay out of anymore legal trouble.

Think about it this way. If you built your network and got as far as the final interview, that is when they re likely to do a background check. They should already be interested and probably be willing to let it slide as long as you are honest.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:44 AM

17,584 posts, read 15,254,427 times
It depends on the person doing the hiring as well. You'll run into people who won't even consider someone with more than a speeding ticket to their name. If you do.. Just move on.. I'd be surprised if anyone held it against you in the jobs you're speaking about.

The part I'd leave out is that you were quasi "on the clock" when it happened.. Presuming the conference was work related.

Small company I worked for wasn't even checking those things when I got there.. and was handing out company vehicles like candy.. I worked to put a stop to that.. Once I went in and pulled MVRs that showed 3 people who had CURRENT DUIs that were in company vehicles, they got a little nervous, but not enough to change policy.. Then when someone killed a woman in an accident in a company vehicle (Luckily, he wasn't one that had a previous DUI).. That pretty much got the policy changed. Anyone who had a DUI within 10 years could not drive a company vehicle.

I will say.. Another company I worked for.. We hired field technicians.. Brought this guy in for training.. He came in the first day as he got into town(late afternoon) and then went to his hotel.. Didn't show up the next morning.. The office got a call asking us to bail him out of jail. He had gone to a bar right after he left the office, stayed there drinking until he got into a fight and arrested shortly after midnight. We didn't provide his bail, and while I wasn't involved in the decision, he was asked to just go on home and forget he knew us.

Sidetracking here, and not accusing you of doing this.. But, I've never understood the mentality of "I'm traveling for work, time to drink".. We have a conference each year and the unprofessionalism so far as the amount of drinking that is done never fails to surprise me. It's like people go out of town and think it's a license to do whatever they want. You would think, if you were traveling and representing your company out of town, you would be on your best behavior, not your worst.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:59 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The part I'd leave out is that you were quasi "on the clock" when it happened.. Presuming the conference was work related.
This ^^^ was my first thought as well.

We had troubles in the past with sales people taking advantage of company time and company $$ by trying to expense out-of-town "dinners" that were mostly alcohol, etc. The time stamps on the receipts provided also proved that the hours at which they were drinking these "dinners" were questionable.

So I might have a concern about your judgment in getting hammered while on a work trip. But legally, it's a misdemeanor as others have pointed out.

Old 08-31-2015, 12:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I'd be honest tho because even if not a felony its likely they will do a public check of drivers license if the vet well. Its a public record .

Old 08-31-2015, 01:48 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,559,613 times
I was in the middle of being hired from temp to perm when I got mine and they had no problem with it. Six years later, still with same company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment