Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 06:34 AM

8 posts, read 100,750 times

Advertisements

I started a new job in early July, so I've been on the job for 6 weeks. I'm in a senior level position but not quite a senior level person so it feels like I'm underperforming. From day 1 this company expected output, they gave me an insane amount of work it felt so overwhelming. I didn't finish it and was blamed for being too slow. I'm consistently getting micromanaged and my lead pulled me aside yesterday and said I wasn't focused or commited, which is B.s because I'm always bringing work home with me to finish. I do feel I'm getting more settled but even when I do something right there always seems to be negative feedback. I'm seriously thinking about switching jobs. I know it's early on by should I hang in there or take my services elsewhere? I've only been at the company 6 weeks and they think that's a long time. How long does it take someone to get settled into their job? Also this is my first job back after taking a year off for sickness but my employer doesn't know that.

Last edited by geekchick25; 08-21-2015 at 07:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 07:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
It depends on the job and how well prepared/experienced you are for it, and also how much support you get. When I started here it was about 6 weeks before I felt completely comfortable and was able to get all of the work done in a timely manner, with time to address existing problems and correct them. Most of that was learning a new database management/billing system, with only minimal and mostly useless training from an incompetent supervisor (after 18 months she was demoted and I got her job). After your year off I would expect it to take a little longer, but sometimes a new job is overwhelming. I would suggest trying to hang in there for another 6 weeks, but if you start getting poor performance reviews start looking for something else before it's too late.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:07 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,923,893 times
You truly never get "settled", especially if it's a job that requires constant learning and brushing up of skills.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,796,492 times
Well, you said yourself that this is a Sr level position but you’re not Sr. level so if that’s true, it makes some sense that you’re having trouble keeping up.

And how can your employer not know you were unemployed for a year? Did they not see your resume? Or was the resume not accurate?

You ask if you should take your services elsewhere, which is a curious question...do you feel that there is an abundance of employers who will offer you a job at the same level? Or are you talking about going down a level? And even if you are talking about stepping down a level, are there an abundance of employers even then? You just make it sound so easy.

All that aside, I would ask you if you are learning within this role. Sounds like the answer is yes and if that’s correct, I’d try to stick around. But don’t let your lead push you around and put it all on you. Ask your lead for help. Make sure he/she is aware of what else is on your plate. Get them on your side. As of now, your post sounds like your relationship is headed towards a more adversarial route – that’s bad.

Is 6 weeks enough? It depends. But, for the most part, IMO the answer is no, it isn’t enough. But we really don’t know if their expectations of you are too high, especially since, by your own admission, you are at a lower level currently and are one year out of practice.

Best of luck.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:22 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Is this the nature of the position you work in, or is it just the nature of this particular company? If the former, then you may want to ask yourself if you're cut out to work in such a position. It's OK to realize that you're not a good fit for a certain position. Sometimes, the money just isn't worth the heartache and the headache you get.

But, to answer you question on a general basis, it takes me, honestly, at least a year or two to truly get "settled" into a job. Not that it takes me that long to learn how to do my job, but my definition of being "settled" means being comfortable, not only with the job, but with the atmosphere of the workplace and my co-workers around me. After about a couple years, I have a good idea what makes my co-workers tick, and they start to understand me a little more as well. It's hard to do all of that in the first year, especially IT work, because there's a lot to learn and the first six months goes by so fast, it's a bit overwhelming. Maybe that's what's happening to you. You're so overwhelmed by the job. I'd probably give it at least a year to see if everything starts to slow down for you. When your bosses and co-workers start to see you doing your job with a lot of confidence, they'll back off.

Old 08-21-2015, 03:05 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,964 times
I always feel like I am running on a treadmill that gets faster and faster and I'm getting tired but I have finally figured out how to adapt. At the end of the day all that matters is that you do your best and get paid for what you do. As long as that is still happening... run with it.

I have never truly have gotten settled in, because every day throws something new at me.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:14 AM

307 posts, read 363,291 times
...get to make friends with some key people. these are managers or co-workers performing the same job who have been there a while. the friendship is a pre-requisite. If you can yack about football, or baseball, or your kids soccer practice to a co-worker/manager then more than likely those same people can give you "inside" tips on how to perform the job better. Don't always look at the written rules!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:29 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekchick25 View Post
I started a new job in early July, so I've been on the job for 6 weeks. I'm in a senior level position but not quite a senior level person so it feels like I'm underperforming. From day 1 this company expected output, they gave me an insane amount of work it felt so overwhelming. I didn't finish it and was blamed for being too slow. I'm consistently getting micromanaged and my lead pulled me aside yesterday and said I wasn't focused or commited, which is B.s because I'm always bringing work home with me to finish. I do feel I'm getting more settled but even when I do something right there always seems to be negative feedback. I'm seriously thinking about switching jobs. I know it's early on by should I hang in there or take my services elsewhere? I've only been at the company 6 weeks and they think that's a long time. How long does it take someone to get settled into their job? Also this is my first job back after taking a year off for sickness but my employer doesn't know that.
This situation is similar to the one at my current job.

I was brought in at a level of about 8-10 years experience. Although I do have that, it is not all in the area that we do specifically, and I haven't specifically done what we do for a few years, and not in this state either (though I did them all this at the interview).

Basically, I busted my a@@ to catch up. I stayed late a ton, and I worked hard. At this point (almost 2 years), I am almost caught up, and feel comfortable at my current position. However, now I am on the verge of a possible promotion to a lower-management position. I don't think I'm quite ready or want that. I'm a little bit of a strange bird in that I stay late and work hard, but don't care about promotions or climbing the ladder.

In any case, your workplace is pretty indicative of the real world. People pay you for a task and expect you to be able to produce a certain amount of tangible work in a work week. If you have jumped jobs or industries or taken time off, then you'll be behind that pace.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:05 AM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Takes me about 3-4 months to get comfortable and about a year to be fully up to speed.

Old 08-30-2015, 12:17 PM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
I think it takes about an average of 6 months before you start to get a good hold of understanding all of the moving parts in play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment