Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,569,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree that was a pretty ignorant post. Are people who are 50 and over "slow and tired" now or still wearing wash-and-set 1960s gray hairdos and pointy pink glasses? LOL! The poster to whom you were responding must be very young and seems to have some silly stereotypes of what 50 looks like.

In answer to your question, it's NO in my case. My director is a 60-year-old woman herself, very sharp and politically astute (we are not government, but we are a public transportation agency with political games and influences to dance around). I am also working on a significant project and the consultant we hired to help us is herself a 60-something woman known for her expertise in the industry.

It may very well be the culture of the particular industry and/or organization in which you find yourself. Are most of your coworkers younger? Is your management younger? That may be the problem. They may harbor some stupid stereotypes and prejudices.

I think I would consider being a little sharp and to the point the next time someone deigns to finish your sentences. Ask point blank if there is some reason they feel the need to speak for you. Put them on the spot. I don't know you, but one mistake you may be making is being too nice and/or expecting others to show the respect you deserve and not setting them straight when they don't.
Absolutely the company culture means a LOT. In corporate America - it is really not unusual for people (and especially) women in their 50's to be considered obsolete. Many times, they are gently shown the door to make way for the up and coming 30 year olds who are all dying to be in management. The last few moves at my Corp - have all been middle aged women moving BACKWARD on the corporate ladder. Eased down a rung or two OR eased on out the door. Your expertise, work ethic mean nothing. They want YOUNG. Period. It is so very obvious I often wonder why we don't have more age discrimination suits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It is just backwards, if you ask me. Why wouldn't you give MORE RESPECT and weight to the words of someone who has years of experience rather than someone much younger who has not paid their dues? I don't get that. I talk to young women (on the phone, or in person) who are trying to sell me something and it is patently clear they don't have a clue what they are talking about. First of all, they mumble and talk so fast, half the time you can't make sense of what they are saying. Then, if you happen to ask a question they NEVER KNOW THE ANSWER. They are simply clueless. I even had one girl insult me because I passed on their "golden opportunity" to advertise with their company. Clearly an idiot.

I would not take offense at the poor behavior and manners of the other people that you work with. In fact, I would pity them. Next time someone finishes your sentence for you call them on it and say..."Didn't your mother ever tell you that doing that is rude?" Assuming of course, that they even HAD a mother.

20yrsinBranson
I wish it were this way 20 years - but it is not in many companies. We have worked like plowhorses (not show horses) traveled, worked 60 years a week and given our blood sweat and tears to our company. Trust me, it is NOT valued. Management would much prefer a bouncy 30 year old with NO experience, no expertise and no work ethic over a middle aged woman. Past 50 and you are completely irrelevant. And the next generation at work - is NEVER going to put in the hours that we did. They make that plain from day one. Perhaps they are the smart ones because they get promoted anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinyday View Post
I think it's sad but true that in many offices the boomers are being put out to pasture. However, there are some workplaces where the older, experienced worker can still do well. It just depends on the culture of the company and department. And it also may depend on how the individual worker responds to the surrounding department.

In my case, I am a boomer and have changed jobs 4 times since I turned 40, twice since turning 50. I think I look my age, and dress conservatively, but try to stay somewhat current by replacing some clothes, jewelry and scarves to whatever is in style, every year. (I do try not to look like my mom...but I certainly do not compete with 25 year olds!!!)

I think it helps that I am energetic and knowledgable in my field of expertise, and I am confident and can hold my own in a discussion or when challenged. Maybe I am wrong but I think that's why I am still able to get jobs and get respect. Let's face it, people can figure out my age from my resume since I list my entire work experience. (I can't erase the first 15 years since they were at one company.)

That being said, I have several female friends who have had problems in the workplace over 45. So I agree that there can be issues....
Yes. So far, I have lasted. I do think you have to make an effort to look younger. Sad - but true. I box 3 times a week and do other workouts to try and keep mentally and physically tough. I try to keep my hair up to date and dress professionally.

I am angry, though, about what I see happening to many good women at my company. And I wonder when it will be my turn to be eased out the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 08:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,591,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mila123 View Post
Just curious, if you're a woman and over 40, do you feel you're treated differently at work? How about feeling like your suggestions aren't taken seriously or you aren't heard by your coworkers/management?

When I was younger, I feel like I had an impact and people took me seriously. Today, at 50, I often consider myself a ghost. My coworkers question everything I do and say, some will finish my sentences when I'm talking to others as if I don't know how to answer. When opportunities arise, I'm never chosen despite asking to be part of something. Just a couple days ago I volunteered to rewrite something and management looked at me and asked the silliest questions as if I didn't know what the paper even meant.

I remember yrs ago working with a 50 yr old woman who I often would find in the bathroom crying and she would tell me how frustrating it was. I never understand what she meant. Now I know.
I don't really understand. I'm almost 50, but I don't feel that way. However, most of the people I work with are older than me, so it's not a young work culture. I wonder if it's a function of the age of the other people.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:07 AM

361 posts, read 922,954 times
The sad thing is most women are only tolerated because of their looks. If they weren't attractive they'd be living under a bridge. But, since they look breathtaking in tight clothes we have to pretend to listen to them. It's biology. When the looks start to fade we lose our reason to listen to them. Women who went their whole lives thinking they were smart, funny and productive are brought back down to earth.

I have a friend who is absolutely mezmorizingly beautiful. Was a semi-pro model, was on television, won pageants....you name it. She's been living under the impression that she's intelligent since she was 16 but is really rather unoriginal and not very well-read in my opinion. It's gonna be absolutely hilarious when she hits 45-50 and realizes her entire life was a lie.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:14 AM

763 posts, read 2,606,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
You cannot change your age but you can change some things to appear younger.

Maybe it's time for a change in appearance to seem more professional. Don't dress like an old lady and no old lady haircut/glasses. No gray hair or old fashioned attire/style.

Get fit/trim so you don't appear slow and tired.

Possibly your manner of speaking is slow and/or not clear enough so people want to complete your sentence to make it clearer to others.
This is so far from the truth, it's not even funny! If you're 50+ years old, you LOOK 40 (or younger) and you can dress for that age group, but as soon as the recruiter looks at your resume and does the math, they will know how old you are, or at least what age group you're in.

As a woman that is over 55, but doesn't look it, it doesn't matter when it comes to getting a job. You can look like a 35 year old all day long, but at the end of the day, you're still 55 and they know it.

Last edited by KABurke; 09-22-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,234,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I find myself having to talk more slowly and carefully to the younger generation. They don't seem to "get" much of anything. Everything has to be explained in tiny words to a 22 year old where a more experienced person just needs a nod and a gesture to understand something. And I have one 22 year old now who seems to think I'm a stupid mom or something. Sweetie, don't play a player is what I want to tell him. You're not fooling me, or the district manager, and you're up to a written warning now.

LOL! As I mentioned before, some of this is because they don't know the basics. I felt like a high school teacher with a class full people at the third grade level.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughbay View Post
The sad thing is most women are only tolerated because of their looks. If they weren't attractive they'd be living under a bridge. But, since they look breathtaking in tight clothes we have to pretend to listen to them. It's biology. When the looks start to fade we lose our reason to listen to them. Women who went their whole lives thinking they were smart, funny and productive are brought back down to earth.

I have a friend who is absolutely mezmorizingly beautiful. Was a semi-pro model, was on television, won pageants....you name it. She's been living under the impression that she's intelligent since she was 16 but is really rather unoriginal and not very well-read in my opinion. It's gonna be absolutely hilarious when she hits 45-50 and realizes her entire life was a lie.
This is true. Good looks will get a woman the job. I've seen it happen over and over. I'm no bowser, but I've been passed over more than once for a younger, skinnier and prettier candidate, even though my skills and experience blows her out of the water.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,517,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
...as soon as the recruiter looks at your resume and does the math, they will know how old you are, or at least what age group you're in.
There are many tricks out there to tweak your resume to make yourself seem younger. Basically you remove your graduation dates from your resume and you only include the last 10-15 years of job experience when at all possible.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
There are many tricks out there to tweak your resume to make yourself seem younger. Basically you remove your graduation dates from your resume and you only include the last 10-15 years of job experience when at all possible.
That's all well and good, and I do only include 15 years of experience on my resume, but say (hypothetically) you get the job because the company hiring manager thinks you are 40 (based on the information on your resume) when you're really 50. What happens when they check your info to complete your I-9 and see your DOB on your driver's license? You've tricked them into hiring you making them think your're younger than you really are. How do you think this will affect your future there?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:51 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,850,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KABurke View Post
That's all well and good, and I do only include 15 years of experience on my resume, but say (hypothetically) you get the job because the company hiring manager thinks you are 40 (based on the information on your resume) when you're really 50. What happens when they check your info to complete your I-9 and see your DOB on your driver's license? You've tricked them into hiring you making them think your're younger than you really are. How do you think this will affect your future there?
How is that a trick? The applicant provided all requested info.

If a company is that darn concerned about it, really, screw them. Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people now days, the list of idiocy just gets longer when it comes to employers.

-over forty
-under 25
-tattoos
-undershirt
-shirt worn under suit
-pants or dress for women
-hair length, too short or too long

Any thing else missed? I am sure there is. I mean, let us make sure we tie our shoe laces correctly, some 60+ year old guy might not like it because "back in his day, we all tied them another way", thus not hire you or dislike you and make your life miserable at work.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
How is that a trick? The applicant provided all requested info.

If a company is that darn concerned about it, really, screw them. Seriously, WTF is wrong with some people now days, the list of idiocy just gets longer when it comes to employers.

-over forty
-under 25
-tattoos
-undershirt
-shirt worn under suit
-pants or dress for women
-hair length, too short or too long

Any thing else missed? I am sure there is. I mean, let us make sure we tie our shoe laces correctly, some 60+ year old guy might not like it because "back in his day, we all tied them another way", thus not hire you or dislike you and make your life miserable at work.
What the company is concerned with is the time and $$$ they will invest in training a new hire. Unfortunately (for me, anyway), companies look at 50+ year old candidates as.... they're going to be thinking about retirement soon, within 10 years, so it is not economically prudent to invest a lot of time, money and effort into this person when they'll be gone soon. They would much rather expend that effort into a YOUNGER candidate who they hope will hang around for a couple of decades.

Are those companies in for a big surprise, or what!!!???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment