Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:09 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,644,780 times

Advertisements

Well, if the country goes into default things are going to be beyond what anyone can imagine. I make periodic checks throughout my car for any loose change that might have fallen on the floor. I'll often find a quarter, nickle or dime this way. Even finding a penny makes me happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 02:37 PM

763 posts, read 2,606,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Oh, yes, "putting your best foot forward" is a great suggestion... because that will magically make jobs appear.

I grow so tired of people who assume the unemployed, particularly the long-term unemployed, are the ones at fault. There are AT LEAST 3 people out of work per job opening in this nation, and that no doubt counts lots of fake jobs, part-time work, and other drek that won't pay the bills. No amount of "positive thinking" is going to fix that, and once you're laid off, you're often black-listed and considered untouchable since "clearly there's something wrong with you." As we all know, companies would never get rid of workers and instead keep brown-nosers, idiots, crooks, and so on... right...

To add to the original list:

- You find yourself sleeping more and more of the day since there's just no point in trying to do anything.
- You wonder how many times you should apply to the same job... every time it's reposted? Just the first time?
- Any phone call is cause for hope, though that hope is usually dashed quickly.

- You write a short book detailing the sociopath driven culture and criminal activity of your former employer... and then realize you have no way to publish it without getting in trouble. Funny how they can slander the individual but you can't speak the truth about them!
- You consider drinking, heavily... and until then, you didn't drink at all.
- You come to regret nearly every decision you've made in life, including ones that should have paid off, but (of course) didn't.
- You then end up regretting decisions your parents made, such as not using contraceptives when you were conceived.
- You spend a lot more time bickering with lunatics on message boards who truly believe all the unemployed "deserve it" and are "welfare bums."
- You find there's not enough time in the world to adequately answer all those types of people.
Yes, to these three! I don't know how many times I've applied for the same job. I have discovered that you can't do that on Monster, though! LOL!!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,574,449 times
Dreading the holidays and weekends was right for me too.

No money for food or gas beyond the bare minimum. Going nowhere, doing nothing, unable to participate in any invites you might get.

I remember one Memorial Day weekend in particular. We had 20 bucks to eat on and the unemployment check deposit was delayed until Wednesday.

I just remember feeling like a prisoner in a sentence that would never end.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:52 PM

165 posts, read 323,330 times
How many of you were in or have been in supervisory positions and kept people out of jobs they were more than qualified for because if your own bias or petty reasons?

I'm asking because I know a former manager who just lost his job after 23 years on the job and made no bones about discriminating against people for petty reasons (name, race, gender, how they look, color of outfit worn to interview, etc)

Now he is part of the LTU and crying about age discrimination, which is ironic.

Y'all keep your heads up though. Things will get better.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:20 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,733,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBound09 View Post
How many of you were in or have been in supervisory positions and kept people out of jobs they were more than qualified for because if your own bias or petty reasons?

I'm asking because I know a former manager who just lost his job after 23 years on the job and made no bones about discriminating against people for petty reasons (name, race, gender, how they look, color of outfit worn to interview, etc)

Now he is part of the LTU and crying about age discrimination, which is ironic.

Y'all keep your heads up though. Things will get better.
Remind him of what a scumbag he was and tell him that Miss Karma has finally gotten 'round back to him. LOL!!!!!!!!

I LOVE IT!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 PM

763 posts, read 2,606,240 times
I like to see Karma catch up with the Holier Than Thou types!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 PM

457 posts, read 646,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post

-you consider killing yourself since death is cheaper than living
Or you consider going back to Saskatchewan and living on the Rez off the Canadian dole, since that's essentially the same fate.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Unless you have serious disabilities, getting on SSDI is out of the question. Welfare is only for those who have had a pile of kids - if you're single with no kids, they won't help you. Also, if you are not flat out broke, they won't help you. Same idea with public housing.

Long story short if you can work but nobody is interesting in hiring you, the current system is set up to let you fall through the cracks and end up homeless or dead. That's because if you're able to work but not employed, you clearly "deserve" to be unemployed... since the only other possibility is that there are not enough jobs and the powers that be have destroyed the working class, we can't talk about such things. We love Big Brother.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
I am not unemployed and don't know what you all are going through. I can't even imagine it, and I don't want to sound patronizing. However, I would say to those who talk about suicide - please reach out for help. It may sound hokey and corny, but my grandmother used to say "when there is life, there is hope"; I do believe in that.
Great but when you try to call the 1-800 number hotlines all they do is refer you to places you can't afford to PAY for because you don't qualify for Medicaid because you have no disability or out-of-wedlock children. ANY medical treatment is just one more bill you won't be able to pay, one more bill collector you're going to have to draft your own "cease and desist" letters against because that's the only thing you'll ever use your useless JD degree for....and yada yada yada....except, I believe, in Massachusetts where at the very least MassHealth covers the anti-depressants and the doctor visits and possibly the places the suicide hotlines will refer you to.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,522,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penny1969 View Post
Great but when you try to call the 1-800 number hotlines all they do is refer you to places you can't afford to PAY for because you don't qualify for Medicaid because you have no disability or out-of-wedlock children. ANY medical treatment is just one more bill you won't be able to pay, one more bill collector you're going to have to draft your own "cease and desist" letters against because that's the only thing you'll ever use your useless JD degree for....and yada yada yada....except, I believe, in Massachusetts where at the very least MassHealth covers the anti-depressants and the doctor visits and possibly the places the suicide hotlines will refer you to.

Funny story. I've been single and unemployed and discovered the same thing, there was no formal assistance for people "like me". Young white female without children.

But I scanned help wanted classifieds, and I found something I thought I could learn and do quickly and hopefully get a job at it. and i had a 1997 computer and found an aol chatroom about success. I was a total newbie. Someone in washington state sent me an email, to show me what email was, lol. And a few other random people on the internet gave me words of advice. And an incredibly trusting business person in massachusetts mailed me her copy of microsoft office, trusting i would mail it back. And that random person gave me that one tool that I needed to learn. WORD so i could try to get an office job. I spent 16 straight hours with a book and the program, learned enough to format a letter (the job test) and got the job.

Random people on the internet. Worked for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment