Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 04:52 PM

29,818 posts, read 24,898,335 times

Advertisements

Apprenticeships are coming back in force. Both large and small manufacturers around the nation are responding to a well acknowledged skills shortage by bringing on young, green candidates with strong math skills, as well as a willingness to work.

Here's just a few in my trade...
Machine Tool Builder (Apprentice) - Job Listing - Nidec Minster Corporation Jobs

https://valero.taleo.net/careersecti...0&src=JB-10382

Doesn't sound like a traditional machinist job, but it could provide valuable experience.

https://jobs.oii.oceaneering.com/psc/HRPRD_PUB/EMPLOYEE

I kid you not when I say there is a very real, and very frightening shortage of these vital workers who make the world go round. The U.S. accounts for about 1/5th of the world's industrial output, and yet the average worker is on the verge of retirement.

One roadblock is the lack of candidates willing to take on these challenging and demanding jobs. They are not easy, and the pay for some is less than years past adjusted for inflation. Engineers have been complaining about the same thing though, and yet, people are more willing to spend 4 years of their lives and thousands of dollars to become one. We may not need 20% of the workforce toiling over metal parts, but we don't even have 2% of the population considering these jobs. All I can say... America better get it's priorities straight

These are still solid middle class jobs that can pay $30/hr or more at the right company. Apprentices receive all of their education free of charge. Many companies even provide measuring tools on the job. One company I received a call back from recently in South Carolina that is starting candidates out at $26/hr. If you can't do well on that than the wage isn't the problem... It's you

Outside of this...

The small business hiring gauge is reading in the pre recession levels.

Big Business Bows to Small Business Increasing Hiring - Bloomberg

"Employment at companies with fewer than 50 workers, such as SustainU, is stronger now than before the last recession, while larger businesses are still lagging behind, according to data from Automatic Data Processing Inc., a manager of employer payrolls."

Seems small businesses really are doing the bulk of job creation. Problem for many in my industry is a frightening lack of qualified candidates. As the business owner where I work said today.... "The skill level of candidates is appalling. In most cases, they aren't even there". Simply put... You can't create a job if you can't find somebody to do it.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:58 PM

3,082 posts, read 5,437,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Apprenticeships are coming back in force. Both large and small manufacturers around the nation are responding to a well acknowledged skills shortage by bringing on young, green candidates with strong math skills, as well as a willingness to work.

Here's just a few in my trade...
Machine Tool Builder (Apprentice) - Job Listing - Nidec Minster Corporation Jobs

https://valero.taleo.net/careersecti...0&src=JB-10382

Doesn't sound like a traditional machinist job, but it could provide valuable experience.

https://jobs.oii.oceaneering.com/psc/HRPRD_PUB/EMPLOYEE

I kid you not when I say there is a very real, and very frightening shortage of these vital workers who make the world go round. The U.S. accounts for about 1/5th of the world's industrial output, and yet the average worker is on the verge of retirement.

One roadblock is the lack of candidates willing to take on these challenging and demanding jobs. They are not easy, and the pay for some is less than years past adjusted for inflation. Engineers have been complaining about the same thing though, and yet, people are more willing to spend 4 years of their lives and thousands of dollars to become one. We may not need 20% of the workforce toiling over metal parts, but we don't even have 2% of the population considering these jobs. All I can say... America better get it's priorities straight

These are still solid middle class jobs that can pay $30/hr or more at the right company. Apprentices receive all of their education free of charge. Many companies even provide measuring tools on the job. One company I received a call back from recently in South Carolina that is starting candidates out at $26/hr. If you can't do well on that than the wage isn't the problem... It's you

Outside of this...

The small business hiring gauge is reading in the pre recession levels.

Big Business Bows to Small Business Increasing Hiring - Bloomberg

"Employment at companies with fewer than 50 workers, such as SustainU, is stronger now than before the last recession, while larger businesses are still lagging behind, according to data from Automatic Data Processing Inc., a manager of employer payrolls."

Seems small businesses really are doing the bulk of job creation. Problem for many in my industry is a frightening lack of qualified candidates. As the business owner where I work said today.... "The skill level of candidates is appalling. In most cases, they aren't even there". Simply put... You can't create a job if you can't find somebody to do it.
Simply put, we don't want to train you. So we'll cry shortage instead.

Either way, I'd happily jump ship for the right opportunity, no matter what color the collar. If not for all the money I invested in college, I would still be driving a bus. Some of my best days were spent behind the wheel. But at this point in my career, I'm not sure one of these careers would make much financial sense for me. I'd likely be taking a significant pay cut, only to make what I'm making now four or five years from now after my apprenticeship is over. Opportunity costs...

OTOH, if you don't have a career or a job, this would be a good opportunity for you if you can get your foot in the door.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
Simply put, we don't want to train you. So we'll cry shortage instead.

Either way, I'd happily jump ship for the right opportunity, no matter what color the collar. If not for all the money I invested in college, I would still be driving a bus. Some of my best days were spent behind the wheel. But at this point in my career, I'm not sure one of these careers would make much financial sense for me. I'd likely be taking a significant pay cut, only to make what I'm making now four or five years from now after my apprenticeship is over. Opportunity costs...

OTOH, if you don't have a career or a job, this would be a good opportunity for you if you can get your foot in the door.
Well, you can't claim "they aren't willing to train you" anymore. I've seen apprentices come, but I've also seen quite a few leaving. Most people are surprised to learn the "excellent math skill" requirement was no bluff. But really, companies can't put off training any longer. Many want to expand, but they cannot due to the very real shortage of available skills. In the future, many will contract if they do not train. In most places I have worked, I am the youngest by a measurement of decades.

As for the wages for apprentices, those starting at the union shops are starting at +$20/hr in many cases. I started at $14/hr in 2004. Right now, a similar job in the skilled trade dept is making about $18. Of course, those positions are hard to come by, and represent a minority of the apprenticeship opportunities available. More typical of trades like electrician, plumber, etc.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Well, you can't claim "they aren't willing to train you" anymore. I've seen apprentices come, but I've also seen quite a few leaving. Most people are surprised to learn the "excellent math skill" requirement was no bluff. But really, companies can't put off training any longer. Many want to expand, but they cannot due to the very real shortage of available skills. In the future, many will contract if they do not train.

As for the wages for apprentices, those starting at the union shops are starting at +$20/hr in many cases. I started at $14/hr in 2004. Right now, a similar job in the skilled trade dept is making about $18. Of course, those positions are hard to come by, and represent a minority of the apprenticeship opportunities available. More typical of trades like electrician, plumber, etc.
I think a big problem today is getting the word out.

For example, back in the mid-2000s while I was still in college, I worked at a local business that was a service provider to many of the companies tied in to the automotive industry. I'm sure you, being in the machining business, are familiar with the non-destructive testing field. I'm guessing you probably send a lot of your work out to be tested, unless you do it in house of course. It's a lucrative blue collar type job that I had absolutely no knowledge of prior to working in the front office of this lab. I got full exposure to all of the different services we performed in house (x-ray, mag particle, ultrasonic, liquid penetrant, etc.). It seems like a great field. If only people knew about it in high school. There are plenty of other fields just like this that people have no clue exist. A better knowledge of career opportunities prior to leaving high school should be mandatory.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:27 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Never heard of an Apprenticeship requiring 2 years of experience AND/OR a college degree.

Sounds a lot like those so-called entry level white-collar/desk jobs that only pay entry-level wages but require 2-5 years of experience.

Quote:
I'm not even able to view that posting. I receive an error message when I try to do so.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Never heard of an Apprenticeship requiring 2 years of experience AND/OR a college degree.

Sounds a lot like those so-called entry level white-collar/desk jobs that only pay entry-level wages but require 2-5 years of experience.

When they find their candidate with experience, another manufacturer will be without a worker. If they cannot find the worker they need, they will have to train.

Quote:
I'm not even able to view that posting. I receive an error message when I try to do so.
I clicked the link and it connected just fine.

I spent all of about 2 minutes searching for "machinist apprenticeships". Maybe you can find some better examples? Nah, just continue whining about the shortage of jobs and the lack of opportunities available to folks.

That's right, surround yourself with thoughts of negativity. I guess it's been working out quite well for ya.

Just to one up your negativity...

Hydromat - Precision Rotary Transfer Machines - Careers

I know for a fact that their apprenticeship program is active, and they are hiring. Like other machine builders, they can't keep their product stocked because demand is so high. Hmm... If people are buying machines, I can only assume they are hiring people to operate them

Old 09-09-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
That's right, surround yourself with thoughts of negativity...
Just to one up your negativity...
So it's not really about the so-called jobs you claim exists, or anything else you've posted. Instead, you simply feel it's your duty to counter anything you perceive to be negativity with blind optimism.

Got it now.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
So it's not really about the so-called jobs you claim exists, or anything else you've posted. Instead, you simply feel it's your duty to counter anything you perceive to be negativity with blind optimism.

Got it now.
People like you like to claim there are no jobs, and there is no opportunity. I'm offering evidence to the contrary. With attitudes like yours, it's easy to see why success alludes many.

Maybe you can take your pity party elsewhere? Some of us like to stay positive.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Got it now.
How many negative nancys or pessimists do you know that are successful?

I don't always agree with andy, but he might be on to something here. I'd be willing to bet that most successful people tend to be more upbeat and optimistic. In other words, where the pessimist sees a dreary outlook, the optimist sees opportunity. You might try giving it a shot and see how it works for a change.

Optimists have always seemed better off to me, and I could never figure it out for the life of me. Then I had a realization that maybe it's their attitude that makes the difference. Pessimists are always looking at the negative side of things and it tends to hold them down from putting in as much of an effort that they need to in order to be successful. Why should they though? In their mind, it won't make a difference either way. And hence the self-perpetuating cycle of failure and negativity thrives. In the meantime, the optimist is thinking about what else s/he can accomplish or take on.

Old 09-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekkie View Post
How many negative nancys or pessimists do you know that are successful?

I don't always agree with andy, but he might be on to something here. I'd be willing to bet that most successful people tend to be more upbeat and optimistic. In other words, where the pessimist sees a dreary outlook, the optimist sees opportunity. You might try giving it a shot and see how it works for a change.

Optimists have always seemed better off to me, and I could never figure it out for the life of me. Then I had a realization that maybe it's their attitude that makes the difference. Pessimists are always looking at the negative side of things and it tends to hold them down from putting in as much of an effort that they need to in order to be successful. Why should they though? In their mind, it won't make a difference either way. And hence the self-perpetuating cycle of failure and negativity thrives.
It shouldn't be about negativity or positivity.

The reality is, there aren't enough jobs relatively to the size of the labor pool. You can post all of the job openings in the world, ***** about Obama all you want, ***** about people attending college all you want, ***** about the number of children people are having all you want, complain about so-called negative nancys all you want, whatever. Trying to suggest otherwise, in a condescending "I'm a know-it-all, get over it!!!" tone no less, makes you come across as ill-informed at best, and as an ******* at worst. The last thing people need when struggling to find employment to support themselves are people rubbing salt in their wounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment