Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:44 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,220 times

Advertisements

Okay, I have been looking into several work at home jobs where you answer incoming calls such as LiveOps, VoiceLog, Alpine Access, West at Home, TeleCare, and 1-800-Flowers to name a few. They all seem legit, (not work at home scams).

However, can someone please tell me if you have worked for one of these places and actually made decent money? I am looking to make about $2,000 a month for part-time (30 or 35 hours a week) - is this feasible, or am I dreaming?

I have read that with Alpine Access you are an employee and make $10/hour regardless of call volume. The others seem to be paid per talk minute, so I can't figure out how much money that would be (assuming I would be busy enough with calls!). Also, for the others, it would be work on an independent contractor basis, so I would have to pay my own taxes. Some of them offer a bonus or commission in addition to the regular wages, so I'm just not sure!

If anyone has worked a call center home job, please share your experience. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Wow, I'd be surprised to see any of these types of jobs paying $14-16/hr. They don't pay that much for their in house employees.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:12 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Neiman Marcus pays $11/hr according to their ad. Work at home, but you have to do training in person (in Dallas, TX).

Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Wow, I'd be surprised to see any of these types of jobs paying $14-16/hr. They don't pay that much for their in house employees.
Yes, I think you are right that the hourly is not that much. But some of these jobs pay bonuses and commissions, based on sales? I was hoping someone had some info on that or more specifics.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Neiman Marcus pays $11/hr according to their ad. Work at home, but you have to do training in person (in Dallas, TX).
Where did you see this ad? I looked on the careers section of their website and couldn't find any info. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM

This is the directory of companies, in case someone else wanted to look into any of these for themselves.

Virtual Call Centre Jobs Listing !

Old 08-12-2008, 02:10 PM

77 posts, read 385,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
This is the directory of companies, in case someone else wanted to look into any of these for themselves.

Virtual Call Centre Jobs Listing !
I tried contacting Teletech because I once worked for 2 years at their place of business in Niagara Falls, NY. However, no such job exists at this time. Will the ones that do have the those opportunities hire you if you don't live close to them?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:53 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I haven't worked from a Home Call Center but I checked into it when I was laid off from Delta Airlines Reservations. I found that Jet Blue does not have Reservations Centers. All of their call in reservations and customer service is anwered by employees in their homes. There were a few articles in Magazines about this type of operation, and it rated very well. I ended up not doing it. With the constant problems with airlines I decided I had enough of it after working for Delta. So if one was working for Jet Blue you would collect your full or part time salary from them plus your flight pass and Insurance benefits. You would do the entire job from your home. I believe with them you had to make one trip a month to a regional office for some type of meeting. Of course the trip would be at Jet BLue's expense.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:23 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
I worked for Alpine Access a couple of years ago. I was getting paid $9 per hour. I worked about 25-30 per week.
It was ok but not very much per hour. I am now looking into Arise to see what they have to offer. I think with Arise you have to be an independent contractor though.
If my job doesn't vote for the 4-10 work week I will have to do something. These gas prices are killing me.
Alpine is a good company though. Excellent training right from home. The training was paid at about $7 per hour, I think.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
I would say about $9 an hour would be about the norm for doing call center from home work....and I am a manager in a Call Center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment