Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 06:09 PM

211 posts, read 529,242 times

Advertisements

I don't know of anyone with a business degree that's running their own business...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2013, 06:15 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Most people get degrees so that they can work for other people. Entrepreneurs usually see beyond the need for a degree.

Old 10-17-2013, 06:40 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Thats kind of a stupid question. You just need to know a lot about the type of business you are opening. School is very general and probably wouldn't make much of any difference.

As someone who has owned several businesses, that is not always true, there are plenty of things that you can learn in college that will help you run a business, such as marketing, accounting (even if you hire an accountant it is a good idea to understand at least the basics), computer classes, depending on the company some college level math and/or English classes are not a bad thing either. However an actual degree is not required, and the stuff you learn in college you can learn elsewhere but you need to learn it.

Old 10-17-2013, 07:55 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,356,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
As someone who has owned several businesses, that is not always true, there are plenty of things that you can learn in college that will help you run a business, such as marketing, accounting (even if you hire an accountant it is a good idea to understand at least the basics), computer classes, depending on the company some college level math and/or English classes are not a bad thing either. However an actual degree is not required, and the stuff you learn in college you can learn elsewhere but you need to learn it.
Maybe accounting, but only because its the "language of business." Marketing classes are basically just learning definitions. Most of what you learn you learn on the job working 40+ hours a week over years.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:08 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Do what Mark Cuban, a proven winner says, don't follow your passion follow your efforts.

Dont Follow Your Passion, Follow Your Effort | blog maverick

And only go to school if you get into a sold internship or vocation no fluffy degrees.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:13 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
You could but know it may not work. I would say that to a bushfires degrees person too. Only look at it if you really have to offer a new or better orifice or service idea and don't screw around with the books.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:38 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Been running my Carpenter/contractor business for 30 years and do my own taxes anyone with a brain and common sense can do it.I was a C graduating highschool but that was all BS.I live a real life and love it. I learned myself and even legally write off 27% of my home as workspace. freaking people want to depend on an employer for everything when they could be one but are to scared to take the plunge. My Dad was my role model and only made it to 8th grade before he went to work and made a name.I am over booked into 2014 and hiring Carps to help me for 30,35 an hour just to get a weekend off to wash my socks and go food shoping. beats living under an employer or a cubicle slave

Old 10-17-2013, 09:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
What you need before starting a business, is experience in that field. Before you open a small retail business, get at least 2 to 5 years experience in that field, if you have never worked in retail and that business. Learn how a business, really works, not how you would like to see it work.

It takes money to open and operate a business until it becomes successful enough for you to draw a salary. Remember, most small retail businesses, will fail within 2 to 5 years. Sometimes sooner. It just depends on your having enough money to feed the business ever month (put in money without taking a salary) until the business is successful enough to be able to afford your a salary.

Old 10-17-2013, 09:44 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,466 times
I know many that started businesses with no business degree, and some with no HS diploma, some very successful, really all you need is knowledge in the field the business is in.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:09 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Aside from being knowledgeable about your crafts, it's most important that you know accounting principles and keep up with the books. You'll also need to verse yourself in small retail marketing. Where you locate a business like that is very important. As is how you publicize it, staff it, and provide the goods and services your customer's want, not what you wish they wanted.

You also need to be current on everything local that's required of small businesses. Most places will require you to do some form of incorporation, register your business name, get necessary permits, and file business taxes. There are books on all these subjects. You don't say where you are located. In some places it's much harder to open a business than other places. Often community colleges or adult ed places will have a course on opening a business. Lots of people will tell you you need a lawyer, but you can probably get the documents you need from an online place like Legal Zoom, as long as you are fully advised on what they are in your city and state. Your municipality will have some kind of office that liaises with local retailers. You might pick up some good info by joining a local group like a Chamber of Commerce.

But do you need a college degree in business? Neither Bill Gates, nor Steve Jobs got one. Martha Stewart majored in Architectural History and Oprah Winfrey studied communications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment