Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:57 PM

11 posts, read 21,916 times

Advertisements

Woke up this morning to the realization that I have been unemployed for almost a year and I have no one to blame for it but myself. I worked as a geologist with an upstream company for three years, before I was fired for incompetence in a new role. Since then, I have had several interviews through online applications and networking all to no avail and now I have to face the reality that I may never work in this industry again.

Lessons learnt:

1. Never take anything for granted as the first opportunity may be the only one.

2. Effective networking is like auto insurance. You may never need it but if you ever do, you are glad you have it.

3. Manage resources well. Six figures can quickly become zero figures.

4.Be diligent.

Hopefully, I will get another chance but for now the reality is it's not coming and that reality bites really hard...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:17 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
Sorry you're going through this. Self awareness is always good and it sounds like you've done some soul searching.

I know nothing about the geology job market. However, as long as there are rocks and dirt, I suspect there will always be a need for geologists somewhere.

Have you looking into positions with the government, schools & universities, oil companies, environmental companies, agriculture companies, overseas contracting, etc?

If you need cash, take what you can get, but if you really want geology, keep that hope alive.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:40 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
Man, I'm really sorry. That "incompetence in a new role" remark sounds really harsh. we are our own worst critics. I'll say this, many people take positions they aren't fully qualified for, everyone that moves up to another level is doing that and there are many factors that determine who succeeds and who doesn't. So maybe you weren't competent enough for the role, I really don't know, but even if you weren't that doesn't make it a mistake and it doesn't make you a bad person. We try, we take risks, we succeed, we fail.

All I can offer is to say hang in there and I hope it gets better soon. Sending you good karma.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 PM

14 posts, read 19,208 times
The title should be: Indispensable life lessons that most people won't learn until it's too late.

I sympathize with you during this period of "down and out" on the market and your luck, but frankly...it's not too bad of a place to be; any thing from here out is an improvement and as long as you keep trying, something is bound to happen. There's zero need for sensationalist claims because I imagine you WILL find work in this field again. If not, did you know highly motivated car salesmen can also make up to 6 digits incomes? Furthermore, at least at one point you've MADE 6 figures. I'm stuck at a very low 5 figures and can't seem to go anywhere even WITH a corporate 9-5.

Not to pour salt on your wound, but is there a story that you feel comfortable sharing?

Old 10-22-2013, 02:04 PM

23,527 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Just when times are the bleakest and darkest, is usually when the sun rises and light is at the end of the tunnel. Something will come up. Good luck to you.

Old 10-22-2013, 02:55 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,746,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imhotepng View Post
Woke up this morning to the realization that I have been unemployed for almost a year and I have no one to blame for it but myself. I worked as a geologist with an upstream company for three years, before I was fired for incompetence in a new role. Since then, I have had several interviews through online applications and networking all to no avail and now I have to face the reality that I may never work in this industry again.

Lessons learnt:

1. Never take anything for granted as the first opportunity may be the only one.

2. Effective networking is like auto insurance. You may never need it but if you ever do, you are glad you have it.

3. Manage resources well. Six figures can quickly become zero figures.

4.Be diligent.

Hopefully, I will get another chance but for now the reality is it's not coming and that reality bites really hard...

I have actually been there while in a different field and under different circumstances I went from making well into the 6 figures and turning down opportunities even after the economic collapse started with the whole idea that the right opportunity would come along soon and I would be just fine.

Many people say the hardest part is the realization of what you did wrong, and than the acceptance, it was not for me. It took me some time to realize the mistakes I have made, and once I did I accepted my responsibility, but then I started beating myself up about them. That became the hardest part, stopping the dwelling on it and beating myself up constantly about things that were already done and over with.

Once I finally let it go (which actually took a couple of years and making myself deathly ill) life became easier. I was able to come up with a plan, and ended up back in the business I had once loved, only to find that I had changed to the point that I no longer loved that business, but that is another story.

So what I am trying to tell you in my own way, is that it is good that you have learned to accept it, and take responsibility for it, now you have to let it go and find a way to move on with your life and find a new plan, which in the end may make you happier and more fulfilled.

Old 10-22-2013, 03:11 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times
I'm not sure what "incompetence in a new role" means ... but you ought to be able to parlay that 3-yr experience into something. Hang in there.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I disagree with you that you are to blame. Unless you never looked at any jobs and intentionally turn down offers, it is not just you. The issue is there are 3 people to every available job right now. There is a lot of competition without including those trying to change jobs.

Old 10-22-2013, 06:12 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,280,847 times
Please don't give up. Try to get your name out there through some volunteer work or writing for a trade journal or something. Be creative and keep your spirits up.

It's really rough out there for the longterm unemployed; there's no denying that. I think we all know someone in that position. It's particularly hard if you're in a specialized field with few jobs available.

Maybe you could try substitute teaching at your local school district a few days a week to get some money coming in? Since you don't have to commit to working everyday, substitute teaching is a great way to have flexibility for interviewing on short notice. Just make sure that you don't accidentally end your unemployment comp benefits early by working a few days.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 PM

850 posts, read 1,026,542 times
Does the N. Dakota boom offer any opportunities?

Do you have interest/experience/ability in software development? Fresh start in that? Big buck$. You good with Matlab?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment