U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:56 AM

3,074 posts, read 7,054,866 times

Advertisements

I am so sorry for your health battle. Also that you have the extra stress of this. I wish people would have more compassion for others which your employment seems to not. I can understand not wanting to go to a party with the situation you have to face.
I am a worrier so a question that comes to mind is if you don't go to the party are you going to worry about it impacting your employment there? If so then it may just be easier in the long run to go to the party and stay for a short period. Could you bring a guest that may make you feel a little better about going?
I agree with others it is odd to charge for a party.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:31 AM

68,112 posts, read 63,467,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
You have to pay for your company holiday parties? That might be the most disturbing part of your post. Don't go. I probably wouldn't.
LOL. We have to pay for our holiday parties, too--public agency. If we didn't, you'd all be coming after us with torches and pitchforks.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 AM

2,633 posts, read 5,822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
oh it would be sooo nice to be let go and lose my health insurance which pays for my cancer visits when my entire life revolves around the job and getting better so i can do a better job

and then being let go for something totally unrelated to the job

it just doesn't seem right

and i am all too familiar with that "who is 'we'" stuff that you mention.

to think that my career and life can be snuffed out by somebody who is even younger than i am...

well so far nobody has threatened me but i know for sure that SOMEBODY spoke to my manager about it because he doesn't give a rats *** if i go to these things or not
You need to relax. You're making all kinds of assumptions and running off on tangents.

They asked if you'd attend, you declined. Be done with it.

I suspect that when you do get fired, it won't be because you didn't attend some function, but rather because your actions and attitude made the change necessary.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:31 AM

12,120 posts, read 30,363,431 times
thats true. any incidents where the idea of being disciplined or written up or even being terminated had to do with my paperwork and documentation (ie the job i was hired to do).

Old 10-27-2013, 12:17 PM

4,792 posts, read 7,289,388 times
I personally would pay the $20. Plan to attend and feel sick from my treatments at the last minute.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 PM

24,844 posts, read 32,274,437 times
I think I would send an e-mail directly to the party host (the manager? acting manager?) with your reasons. I don't think you owe anyone an explanation, but you certainly have a valid excuse. Rather than having them think you just don't want to go, I'd make sure they knew about the cancer treatment.

Old 10-27-2013, 12:57 PM

i did just that and the HR head (told her i don't want to waste the $$ because i may be undergoing treatment at that time) said she understood. what set this off was my manager tried to get me to go after that. since normally he doesn't care, it made me wonder who pushed him.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:00 PM

they know about the cancer. they have paperwork from my surgeon attesting to the melanoma diagnosis and surgery for disability coverage. some of them are just impulsive and think that because i am back to work i am magically 100% cured with no further issues.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 PM

2,633 posts, read 5,822,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i did just that and the HR head (told her i don't want to waste the $$ because i may be undergoing treatment at that time) said she understood. what set this off was my manager tried to get me to go after that. since normally he doesn't care, it made me wonder who pushed him.
You seriously need to let it go. It doesn't matter who asked your manager to talk to you, or if that even happened.

You've already burnt two to three times the amount of emotional fuel this situation has justified. Let. It. Go.

Old 10-28-2013, 06:01 AM

glad you are concerned for my health and sanity instead of what they could do to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment