Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM

444 posts, read 820,035 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I received an offer for an amazing Entry Level Engineer position, but there are somethings lacking.

1.) There is no relo funds or signing bonus
2.) I wish it was 8% higher (reasons below)

The posted position asked for an Engineer I/II, where level I had 0-2 experience and level II had =>2 years experience. There was also a requirements, and a preferred section.

Reasons for wanting to negotiate:
1.) I exceeded the required sections and matched most of the preferred sections 80-90%
2) The salary they offered me compares to that of someone with no experiance (from my university and the country average), but I have 2 directly related internships that would place me at around 1-1.5 years experaince
3.) My degree is a perfect match for the position, and my degree is rare. Example there are only 80 ABET schools with my program, and there are 300 for EE
4.) I have a few masters level courses directly related to the position

I'm wondering if there is any harm in asking? And if anyone has any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Here is how you ask without closing the door:

Say " Is there any way you can increase the starting salary to $x"? Then wait for an answer. If needed, mention that you have more experience than required, yada yada. Say as few words as possible but don't seem hard nosed about it.

Usually they will tell you they need to check with someone, and get back with you.

What you don't want to do is say "I won't take it at the offered salary. It's too low". Instead, ask nicely per the first sentence above. Then if they come back and say that they cannot increase the offer, you can then decide to take it. But at least you tried for better.

BTW, I learned the above from taking job negotiation courses with a job placement firm. Since I took the course, I successfully negotiated for more salary and more paid vacation days at several positions. In fact, I successfully negotiated a 25% pay increase on one gig. I now do this negotiation nearly every time.

Warning, one guy on this site tried negotiating for more salary and more vacation and some additional paid holiday and the company rescinded his offer. The head honcho got mad over it because I think there were 3 requests for negotiation. So try to keep it simple.

good luck. I read articles that say lots of reasons women make less than men is because women don't negotiate for higher pay. So kudos to you, candycanechick.

BTW, in that negotiation class I took. they said many companies typically can go 10% higher on offers, in general. And they expect more people to negotiate. Fewer people attempt to negotiate than they expect.

The class also said to ask for everything you want in the first round (higher salary, 1 week more vacation, whatever). Don't ask for salary the first round, then vacation after they come back to you.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,079,863 times
The internship is probably what got you the job offer, but it might be a hard sell to convince them that it's equal to 1 - 1.5 years of actual experience.

I'd leave out the "1-1.5 years experience" part and just say "relevant internship experience". In general, it does sound like you've got some good arguments for a higher salary.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
ALWAYS negotiate for more money regardless of the offer.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:56 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
I received an offer for an amazing Entry Level Engineer position...
I'd be more concerned whether there is an established protocol within the firm/agency
to advance beyond that "entry level" position and that you can achieve the standards and
going further if there is more than one track (technical, management, etc.).
If the program/protocol is not there... then the salary doesn't really matter much.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'd be more concerned whether there is an established protocol within the firm/agency
to advance beyond that "entry level" position and that you can achieve the standards and
going further if there is more than one track (technical, management, etc.).
If the program/protocol is not there... then the salary doesn't really matter much.
There are atleast two next steps. A management track and a senior engineer track. This seems to try to keep people for several years.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:18 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candycanechick View Post
There are at least two next steps. A management track and a senior engineer track.
This seems to try to keep people for several years.
Then I wouldn't stress over 8%.

Ask? Certainly; and for the other benefits too.
But the difference will be made up soon enough.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 PM

Do companies ever retract the original offer? Or do they just say "I'm sorry, but I can do that?"

Old 10-31-2013, 02:00 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
ALWAYS negotiate for more money regardless of the offer.
This^^^^

Negotiating salary is at the Job Offer 101 level. Of course you negotiate for more.

Do some research on how, there's tons of stuff all over the web so I won't go into a huge how to but will offer a little tip - don't do as that person who took a dinky negotiation class suggested. You don't use sheepish phrases like "can you offer more?" becaseu they'll likely just say no, but in a nice way. You tell them why you are worth more and then tell them you want more. Kind of like (first thank them for the offer and then tell them you think the position is a great fit and are excited to start) "Based on some of the reasearch I've done and what I know about the market I was really expecting a salary more in the range of xxxxx. I hope that's something you can work with because I really want to be a part of the xxxx team". there are other things to say and maybe better ways of saying it but don't go in saying something akin to can I please have more money.

Best of luck.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
This^^^^

Negotiating salary is at the Job Offer 101 level. Of course you negotiate for more.

Do some research on how, there's tons of stuff all over the web so I won't go into a huge how to but will offer a little tip - don't do as that person who took a dinky negotiation class suggested. You don't use sheepish phrases like "can you offer more?" because they'll likely just say no, but in a nice way. You tell them why you are worth more and then tell them you want more. Kind of like (first thank them for the offer and then tell them you think the position is a great fit and are excited to start) "Based on some of the reasearch I've done and what I know about the market I was really expecting a salary more in the range of xxxxx. I hope that's something you can work with because I really want to be a part of the xxxx team". there are other things to say and maybe better ways of saying it but don't go in saying something akin to can I please have more money.

Best of luck.
I am the person that took the dinky negotiation class. Since I took the class, I successfully negotiated higher salary and/or extra vacation on several positions since then. I never say "can I please have more money". You just say "Can you increase the salary to $XYX?" Then stay silent. The more you talk the more possibility of putting your foot in your mouth. You say it nicely but not wishy washy at all. They know you are serious. You can get more firm if you are willing to walk away if they don't give it to you. (an alternative..."I want to see about increasing the starting salary to $XYX.".)

Last position I got a 25% rate increase. No kidding. But that one was unique because I was in a good negotiation position and the original offered rate was way too low. Another job I negotiated 2 extra weeks paid vacation and also got them to pay me the top rate possible for the position. On a different job I negotiated a 9% higher rate than original offer.

The one that got me bad was the one where they asked me what I was looking to make during the first screening interview. I should have given them the higher rate in my range but I gave the mid rate because I didn't want to price myself out of the opportunity. When I got the offer, it was the rate I asked for so I really didn't want to negotiate any higher (but was tempted).

OP..Yes...they can rescind the offer if you negotiate. Approx 4 months ago someone on this site had an offer rescinded due to over-negotiation. He asked for too much. This is why you want to be very nice about it...not too demanding. Google for more info. There is lots of info out there.

Last edited by sware2cod; 10-31-2013 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment