Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 02:24 PM

951 posts, read 1,133,423 times

Advertisements

How do I deal with bullies at work that seem to hate you for no reason from day one? Worst is I have two of them and there's only 5 of us in the firm, so I have to stand ground alone. I thought I was overacting at first, but I have found written proof of their behavior towards me. One of that is an email sent to her friends from work about me and her friend and her were making fun of my "depression" after I lost my baby last year. Can't bring it to the bosses either because that's their favorite employee. I wish I could quit, but it's easier said than done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM

6,293 posts, read 10,529,261 times
Kill them with kindness, and keep your personal life and feelings private.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:34 PM

2,257 posts, read 5,163,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
I have found written proof of their behavior towards me. One of that is an email sent to her friends from work about me and her friend and her were making fun of my "depression" after I lost my baby last year.
That is pathetic and so immature! If I were you, I would confront them in front of the boss and the whole staff and ask them to give an explanation of their poor sense of humor.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:35 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,267,854 times
Ignore them and focus on your work.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:43 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,867,325 times
That has got to be the lowest of the low. I'd confront them (individually) and call them on their behavior. Bullies like them tend to prey on the weakest or most vulnerable. They also tend to get away with their behavior because they rely on everybody else following the rules of the workplace (ignore them, treat them well, etc). But making fun of someone's loss? That is deplorable. I'd tell them that even though they've been getting away with this crap, I know exactly who and what they are: bullies. I'd continue to do my work and deal with them in as professional a manner as possible, but I would call them out when they treated me poorly.

As an aside, the issue is ultimately much bigger than them. Assuming the manager is aware of the situation--and not doing anything about it, does not bode well for improving the environment.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:45 PM

6,345 posts, read 8,055,901 times
I was expecting the workers to beat you up in hallways. It's an email. It does not affect your work. Everybody has somebody at work that does not like them. Everybody has an opinion and it's not always great.

I am sure an email has been sent about me in the past, but I do not care.

You should get some counseling for that depression.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:15 PM

17,468 posts, read 17,280,197 times
Forward to HR and explain the situation.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,750,089 times
Try to ignore such crap as much as possible. Focus on your job and keep your personal life out of work as much as you reasonably can. I wouldn't make an issue out of it, especially since you know this coworker is a pet favorite.

I realize it sucks; I can relate, but such awful people are at all work environments. Just try to keep private issues out of work as much as possible, so that you don't have such people use information against you in the future.

Last edited by maus; 08-06-2013 at 03:41 PM..

Old 08-06-2013, 03:37 PM

951 posts, read 1,133,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Try to ignore such crap as much as possible. Focus on your job and keep your personal life out of work as much as you reasonably can. I wouldn't make an issue out of it, especially since you know this coworker is a pet favorite.

I realize it sucks; I can relate, but such awful people are at all work environments. Just try to keep private issues out of work as much as possible, so that you don't have such people use information against you in the future.
That is true and I do try to keep personal stuff from work. It was kind of hard in this situation where I was gone from work for two weeks since I had to tell my boss what happened to me. Worst part was she was pretending to be my friend all the time, but using it against me. Now I know. It's just difficult to be here. In a bigger office environment, I can ignore her more since there's more people and space.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:42 PM

2,696 posts, read 3,750,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_land View Post
That is true and I do try to keep personal stuff from work. It was kind of hard in this situation where I was gone from work for two weeks since I had to tell my boss what happened to me. Worst part was she was pretending to be my friend all the time, but using it against me. Now I know. It's just difficult to be here. In a bigger office environment, I can ignore her more since there's more people and space.
Understand, you had to explain an extended absence. I would try to apply for other jobs since your boss is "not on your side." Easier to get another job while you have one, than when you don't. Also, best of luck to what you decide in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment