Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 01:02 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times

Advertisements

I have a question for those who are familiar with nursing industry. I will be applying for a RN nursing program in the next 9-12 months. One of the programs closest to where I live is just in the process of being accredited. I don't know how long this process will take. It's obviously approved by the state. My understanding is that as long as I am in my state, this is fine. The problem is that we've moved between 4 states in the last 7 years. I don't want to move again as we're really happy with our current locale, but you just never know . So I'm hoping someone with good knowledge can tell me how important really is it that my school was accredited? I am hoping (keeping that optimism!) that as long as I am an RN in good standing and have good employment history that it's not going to be something to prohibit me from getting a job. But I could be totally wrong. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
What kind of accreditation? For the greatest transferability, the nursing program should should have the programmatic accreditation of CCNE or NLNAC accredited. If the college lacks the institutional accreditation of a regional accrediting body, that's not a good thing. If the college doesn't even have accreditation from a national accreditor, that's really bad.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:25 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I have a question for those who are familiar with nursing industry. I will be applying for a RN nursing program in the next 9-12 months. One of the programs closest to where I live is just in the process of being accredited. I don't know how long this process will take. It's obviously approved by the state. My understanding is that as long as I am in my state, this is fine. The problem is that we've moved between 4 states in the last 7 years. I don't want to move again as we're really happy with our current locale, but you just never know . So I'm hoping someone with good knowledge can tell me how important really is it that my school was accredited? I am hoping (keeping that optimism!) that as long as I am an RN in good standing and have good employment history that it's not going to be something to prohibit me from getting a job. But I could be totally wrong. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

Is the school in the process of being NLNAC accrediated? Yes, it's important...some states will not hire any nurse that does not come from a non-accredited school (NLNAC or CCNE). I know that the Veterans administration or any government health job will not hire-are they on the candidate list? You can find this out on NLNAC.org I believe....

Hope that helped

Old 05-09-2013, 06:09 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Accreditation is absolutely critical. Do not even consider a school that is not properly, fully accredited.

Take a look at the job opportunities for nurses. They almost always state that you must have a degree from an accredited school.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Accreditation is absolutely critical. Do not even consider a school that is not properly, fully accredited.

Take a look at the job opportunities for nurses. They almost always state that you must have a degree from an accredited school.

This. Do not consider any program that is not already accredited.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
How would you feel if you went through the school's entire program and found out they never got accredited after all? "In the process" is not a guarantee that the process will be completed successfully.

Old 05-09-2013, 06:40 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,395,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
You will never work in a traveling position without a degree from an accredited nursing school, nor will you be able to apply for licensure through reciprocity in any other states. Look at the requirements for RN positions at hospitals, clinics, etc. We work with the 2 biggest companies in our field, not one of them will consider a nurse who does not have a degree from an accredited school.

Actually, you may want to look at the state board of nursing for your state, (Google state board of nursing and put your state in front of it) and look up their requirements for initial licensure...if they will allow you to get the state RN license without it being from an accredited university, there are additional hoops.

You know how badly people bash the University of Phoenix? That school has accreditation.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,671,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebunny View Post
You know how badly people bash the University of Phoenix? That school has accreditation.
Okay, this statement alone puts it all into perspective! Thanks for all the responses, I'm absolutely going to stay away from that program.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:43 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
All schools of nursing must be a regionally accredited institution (such as SACS in the Southeast) and state Board of Nursing approved. Depending what state you are in, NLNAC accreditation is optional, but highly desireable. Many undergraduate and graduate nursing programs, in addition to the above, are CCNE accredited, rather than NLNAC.
If this is a new program, a class must complete the entire program and graduate before application for accreditation can be made. What is crucial is Board of Nursing approval. THAT is what you need to be concerned with, because without that, you will not be eligible to write the N-CLEX exam.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:09 AM

4,160 posts, read 5,621,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
All schools of nursing must be a regionally accredited institution (such as SACS in the Southeast) and state Board of Nursing approved. Depending what state you are in, NLNAC accreditation is optional, but highly desireable. Many undergraduate and graduate nursing programs, in addition to the above, are CCNE accredited, rather than NLNAC.
If this is a new program, a class must complete the entire program and graduate before application for accreditation can be made. What is crucial is Board of Nursing approval. THAT is what you need to be concerned with, because without that, you will not be eligible to write the N-CLEX exam.

Sorry I have to disagree...more and more hospitals are NOT hiring grads who came from non NLNAC or CCNE accredited schools-also a nurse cannot continue education-schools will not accept lower level education from non NLNAC/CCNE schools.

This is the gold seal of nursing education-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment