Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2013, 07:33 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times

Advertisements

U.S. and the World - U.S. Airman Got the Boot for Pointing Out that his Boots Were Made in China - AllGov - News

Maybe this isn't so much a work and employment issue... Although this man is facing trouble on his job over something completely trivial. It just really irritates me how so many can whine about so few jobs, yet the average American does so little to buy domestic. I applaud this man for speaking up. A true patriot who obviously loves his country. It sickens me that the critters in Washington and elsewhere don't share his love and passion for this great nation.

Personally, I have worn American made boots most of my life. They are comfortable, durable, rugged and well worth the slightly higher pricetag. Heck, they really aren't all that expensive compared to some of the competition, yet they outperform on so many levels. Had a pair of rather expensive slave wage boots... Fell apart in a matter of months, they weren't anti slick as the package suggested, and the shoe laces fell apart after only a month. I will NEVER stray again.

Folks... Next time you want to rant about the crappy wages and precious few jobs to go around, try paying it forward by consuming domestically made goods! Want to create a job? Want to save a job? Than by American! As they say, you never know if it will be YOUR job that you will be saving

(and yes, I meant "boots", not bots )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 07:42 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
On the subject of buying American made boots, I always like to suggest Bean Boots from LLBean! They're awesome and the company will resole them.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Nothing given why he was reprimanded, certainly not over the boots, perhaps refusing to deploy?

Anyway, I purchase based on quality, not where it is made. Why is this "buy American" patriotism a burden only on the consumer? How about businesses cut some into their margins and "make in the USA"? Seems patriotism often is a one way street, with off-shoring considered "good business",

Old 11-09-2013, 07:55 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Nothing given why he was reprimanded, certainly not over the boots, perhaps refusing to deploy?

Anyway, I purchase based on quality, not where it is made. Why is this "buy American" patriotism a burden only on the consumer? How about businesses cut some into their margins and "make in the USA"? Seems patriotism often is a one way street, with off-shoring considered "good business",
I often think the same thing. Shopping for American made products is pretty difficult when it seems like everything comes from somewhere else. Also, I think its difficlut for low income families to consistently buy American made items because American made things are usually more expensive... its like a double edged sword.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:57 PM

29,808 posts, read 24,880,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
I often think the same thing. Shopping for American made products is pretty difficult when it seems like everything comes from somewhere else. Also, I think its difficlut for low income families to consistently buy American made items because American made things are usually more expensive... its like a double edged sword.
I can see where it can be difficult to find made in America goods shopping in Walmart. However, with the internet, you can source a made in America version of almost everything imaginable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post

Business owners simply give the consumer the choice. I'm all for free market freedom of choice... Except, don't come whining to the business man when all the jobs are somewhere else!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:46 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Business owners simply give the consumer the choice. I'm all for free market freedom of choice... Except, don't come whining to the business man when all the jobs are somewhere else!
No, they do not give a choice. If company A decides to offshore, they do this for their stakeholders (i.e. to increase profits), not for the consumer. The thought of "we are doing this for the consumer" does not cross the minds of anyone.

Sure, the consumer can organize a massive boycott, but when in the heck has this ever occurred on the basis of where something is made? Companies know this will not happen.

Again, you act like business owners are doing customers a favor by giving them a choice, the "one way road" of patriotism; consumers are expected to spend a few dollars more in support of the US, but business owners are not expected to sacrifice a few bucks in the name of patriotism.

Also, we expect the world to purchase our products, but want to promote this "buy American" here, yet pray, hope, or what ever that no one else does the same domestic, patriotic hoo-rah and not buy US products.

Plus there are numerous other factors besides straight labor costs on why a company off-shores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment