Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 08:30 PM

533 posts, read 1,108,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I still don't see why it matters what she would claim. If the firing is not related to discrimination of a protected class I don't see how it would matter. People get fired every day. Some for no reason at all. I could be fired tomorrow because my boss didn't like my choice of socks.

You also made a mention of implied violence. The text said she wanted to punch the person in the face. Sounds like implied violence to me.

Also keep in mind this person works with children. You have to question her judgement for two things. First, she is stupid enough to put something like that in writing. Second, she is stupid enough to send the text to the wrong person. I wouldn't trust this person' judgement in dealing with kids.
Yeah, I guess if I were a boss and this happened between two of my employees I'd probably just be thinking "Seriously?" because it just sounds exactly like something that would happen between two high school girls.

And I also suppose that a situation like this doesn't really surprise me. A lot of people outside of childhood and K-12 education don't realize how b*tchy the environment is. My best friend is a teacher and the women are gossipy and talk sh*t about everyone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 09:23 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,968,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggumbo View Post
And I also suppose that a situation like this doesn't really surprise me. A lot of people outside of childhood and K-12 education don't realize how b*tchy the environment is. My best friend is a teacher and the women are gossipy and talk sh*t about everyone.
My wife works at a daycare that goes through Kindergarten. Sometimes you wonder if the workers are worse than the kids.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:11 PM

533 posts, read 1,108,081 times
Quote:
My wife works at a daycare that goes through Kindergarten. Sometimes you wonder if the workers are worse than the kids.
Exactly. I think that's why this whole situation didn't really surprise or faze me. Maybe the boss has been doing this so long he/she is desensitized to it and just doesn't care anymore.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:09 AM

8,938 posts, read 17,157,761 times
Quote:
Also, if this is in an educational setting, don't teachers unions make it really hard to fire teachers/educators? Maybe this employer doesn't want to deal with it?
There is no union in play, and Indiana is an at will state. So in this case, if the employer wanted to terminate someone they could, no questions asked.

Quote:
Also keep in mind this person works with children. You have to question her judgement for two things. First, she is stupid enough to put something like that in writing. Second, she is stupid enough to send the text to the wrong person. I wouldn't trust this person' judgement in dealing with kids.
I think this is my take-away from the whole thing. Whether or not she loses her job is of no consequence to me, but I have to wonder what kind of person this is now. She was already someone I was skeptical of, this episode kind of seals it. Using her phone while she is supposed to be watching kids, being hateful enough to say what she said, and not smart enough to check who she was sending the text too. Certainly does not sound like someone I would want watching my child.

Quote:
Exactly. I think that's why this whole situation didn't really surprise or faze me. Maybe the boss has been doing this so long he/she is desensitized to it and just doesn't care anymore.
I get the feeling that this is how her boss feels about the whole thing. Peeling off the onion of this particular school, it sounds like there is quite a bit of gossiping among and about the teachers. The boss probably thinks it just another day at the office.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM

30,120 posts, read 23,499,354 times
Hahahaha, I had something similar happen to me many years ago. I had a "friend" in a different department who was emailing me one day. We'll call her Person A. She was telling me how another person, we'll call her Person B, who I had worked with before, was being the typical snotty hag that she always was.

I responded to Person A and made a smart aleck comment about Person B. Now, I was smart enough, (not really that smart, but at least smart enough on one point), NOT to cuss in my email. I knew that anything I wrote could be retrieved by IT at any time. So I wanted to, but I did not, call Person B the name that she truly deserved. In fact, my comment was extremely mellow...but still a jab. As I was getting ready to send it, I thought to include my immediate co-worker in on the conversation. We'll call her Person D. Person D hated Person B as much as the rest of us. Anyway, Person D started yammering ABOUT THAT VERY SAME PERSON B, and I accidentally typed in Person B's name in the CC, instead of Person D.

The SECOND after I hit "send", I caught what I did. I sat at my desk and said, "Oh sh*t" for about 30 seconds. I then went in to my boss' office and told her what I did. She was not happy, but she did thank me for telling her about it, and not letting her get blindsided when the other manager came over...which was bound to happen.

I figured I was fired so I just started packing my desk. Sure enough, the other manager came over and those two had their closed door conversation. Person D was laughing the entire time...kind of at me, but mostly at the entire situation because she thought it was funny that Person B got that email. I shot off an email to Person A real quick cause she was about to be in hot water, as well. (Not really, her boss was way cooler than anyone elses in that place.)

The managers open their door, I sat straight ahead and just continued packing, not daring to say a thing. I mean, I'm fired, that's what I thought. Nope. Because my message was so mellow, albeit a jab, and thankfully NOT what I really wanted to say, I saved my own arse. Dumb ass mistake that I never made again. If I want to talk about a person, I don't do it in work email anymore.

I asked for a break right after all of that, once I realized I still had a job. Person A also apparently asked for a break at the same time. I went outside, and there she was. We looked at each other, clamped our mouths shut, walked around the side of the building and THEN burst out laughing.

Of course it was stupid as hell.....but it couldn't be undone. And really, I was far too kind in what I said about Person B. She was a wicked old witch and everyone knew it. Even her.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,618,102 times
Well, if I were the boss, and that text was sent during school hours, I would be all over that teacher -- what in the heck is she doing sending texts when she's supposed to be teaching preschoolers?!? (And, of course, why was your friend reading a text during school hours? Oops . . . ) Plus, if it's a church pre-school, i think it's fair for the boss to have a little heart-to-heart talk about what is expected of teachers who are responsible for teaching young ones in a Christian environment.

If I were your friend, I would have a sit-down with this teacher and clear the air -- she's obviously still upset, and the teacher needs to be called out on really stupid texting and even more stupid lying. Who in the hell hacked her phone -- a 4 year old? Based on the outcome of that talk, I might ask the boss to be reassigned, as it is apparent that the teacher has no respect for your friend.

Otherwise, I'd say that teacher just got placed in the "I work with you, but I don't have to be your friend" category, in that she sticks to her job, doesn't engage in casual chit-chat with the teacher, doesn't engage with the teacher in non-school time, and certainly doesn't go out of her way to make the teacher's life any easier. The teacher might discover that her job just got a little more difficult . . .

Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,175,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Hahahaha, I had something similar happen to me many years ago. I had a "friend" in a different department who was emailing me one day. We'll call her Person A. She was telling me how another person, we'll call her Person B, who I had worked with before, was being the typical snotty hag that she always was.

I responded to Person A and made a smart aleck comment about Person B. Now, I was smart enough, (not really that smart, but at least smart enough on one point), NOT to cuss in my email. I knew that anything I wrote could be retrieved by IT at any time. So I wanted to, but I did not, call Person B the name that she truly deserved. In fact, my comment was extremely mellow...but still a jab. As I was getting ready to send it, I thought to include my immediate co-worker in on the conversation. We'll call her Person D. Person D hated Person B as much as the rest of us. Anyway, Person D started yammering ABOUT THAT VERY SAME PERSON B, and I accidentally typed in Person B's name in the CC, instead of Person D.

The SECOND after I hit "send", I caught what I did. I sat at my desk and said, "Oh sh*t" for about 30 seconds. I then went in to my boss' office and told her what I did. She was not happy, but she did thank me for telling her about it, and not letting her get blindsided when the other manager came over...which was bound to happen.

I figured I was fired so I just started packing my desk. Sure enough, the other manager came over and those two had their closed door conversation. Person D was laughing the entire time...kind of at me, but mostly at the entire situation because she thought it was funny that Person B got that email. I shot off an email to Person A real quick cause she was about to be in hot water, as well. (Not really, her boss was way cooler than anyone elses in that place.)

The managers open their door, I sat straight ahead and just continued packing, not daring to say a thing. I mean, I'm fired, that's what I thought. Nope. Because my message was so mellow, albeit a jab, and thankfully NOT what I really wanted to say, I saved my own arse. Dumb ass mistake that I never made again. If I want to talk about a person, I don't do it in work email anymore.

I asked for a break right after all of that, once I realized I still had a job. Person A also apparently asked for a break at the same time. I went outside, and there she was. We looked at each other, clamped our mouths shut, walked around the side of the building and THEN burst out laughing.

Of course it was stupid as hell.....but it couldn't be undone. And really, I was far too kind in what I said about Person B. She was a wicked old witch and everyone knew it. Even her.
If you were using Outlook, did you know that you can recall a message before it is read? Since you realized it as soon as you hit "send," you could have done this. I have done this once or twice when I made a mistake. BTW, Person B never confronted you?

Old 11-14-2013, 01:47 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,146,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you were using Outlook, did you know that you can recall a message before it is read? Since you realized it as soon as you hit "send," you could have done this. I have done this once or twice when I made a mistake. BTW, Person B never confronted you?
I've never seen that recall feature work the way it's supposed to. I haven't used it myself but I've just seen a message sent, and then the person sends another message that wants to recall the original message - while the original message just sits there....making me want to read it all the more now

Maybe they did something wrong.

Anyways, this subject makes me laugh. I've seen so many people do this. The worst was my friend who was having a full on email conversation with another friend about how she was cheating on her fiance - we are talking full details here..then the subject changes to weekend plans and she then forwards the entire 3 day thread to her fiance Needless to say they did NOT get married.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,136,893 times
I really don't think the other teacher has committed a fireable offense. Was it tacky and childish? Sure. But no need to send her to the unemployment line for expressing her opinion.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:11 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,136,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
Well, if I were the boss, and that text was sent during school hours, I would be all over that teacher -- what in the heck is she doing sending texts when she's supposed to be teaching preschoolers?!? (And, of course, why was your friend reading a text during school hours? Oops . . . ) Plus, if it's a church pre-school, i think it's fair for the boss to have a little heart-to-heart talk about what is expected of teachers who are responsible for teaching young ones in a Christian environment.

If I were your friend, I would have a sit-down with this teacher and clear the air -- she's obviously still upset, and the teacher needs to be called out on really stupid texting and even more stupid lying. Who in the hell hacked her phone -- a 4 year old? Based on the outcome of that talk, I might ask the boss to be reassigned, as it is apparent that the teacher has no respect for your friend.

Otherwise, I'd say that teacher just got placed in the "I work with you, but I don't have to be your friend" category, in that she sticks to her job, doesn't engage in casual chit-chat with the teacher, doesn't engage with the teacher in non-school time, and certainly doesn't go out of her way to make the teacher's life any easier. The teacher might discover that her job just got a little more difficult . . .
She is a pre-school teacher, not a warden.

Even wardens get breaks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment