Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 19,048 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I work for a hospital in NJ that's recently updated their inclement weather policy. It prohibits workers from calling out on days with hazardous weather conditions (i.e. blizzards). In order to make employees arrive on time they are essentially requiring us to come to the hospital the day before a predicted weather emergency and stay overnight until our shift. There is no compensation for this. My question is whether this is legal or not. I've been looking through NJ Labor Rules and haven't really found anything pertaining to this specific practice and was hoping that someone shed some light on the subject.

Personally, I would have no problem coming in the day before if some form of monetary compensation were offered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 04:06 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Are you exempt or non-exempt?

Old 12-07-2013, 04:12 PM

Non-exempt. I get overtime and am paid hourly.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:12 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
I worked in a hospital where, though I'm not sure it was policy, encouraged you to pack a bag if bad weather was headed our way. If you were at work when the storm hit and couldn't make it home, they would find a place for you to sleep (not paid, not their fault you couldn't get home) and then you would either work the next day or possibly help cover shifts for people who couldn't make it in (2nd/3rd or next day 1st). You WERE paid if you were working. I was generally okay with this policy because it's common sense. If you can't leave and others can't get in, they were willing to pay the overtime while still adhering to the laws (getting 8 hrs between shifts, ect) so the work could get done.

No offense, but the weathermen are almost never right. I'd be pissed if I had to, say, come in and sleep at the hospital on Monday because a storm was predicted for Tuesday. What happens if the storm is late and is coming on Wednesday? I'm not staying another night there! I very highly doubt they can force you to stay at the hospital. I also don't think they can expect you to risk your lives to get INTO work during a storm. If it's reasonable to do so and you just need to leave earlier, then yes, get your butt to work. But if roads are closed and your house is under 15 ft of snow? Really? You can't call in? There's no way that's legal.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:18 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
I would have thought you would have union representation. That's where I would start.

Are you unionized? I not, I am surprised.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM

1,237 posts, read 3,449,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post
I would have thought you would have union representation. That's where I would start.

A lot of nursing and/or hospital staff isn't union. It just depends on the area/state. it's not commonly a union field.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:23 PM

341 posts, read 675,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
A lot of nursing and/or hospital staff isn't union. It just depends on the area/state. it's not commonly a union field.
That's crazy. I would have never guessed.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.S. Lazio View Post

Unions are more common in public hospitals. NJ's has all private hospitals (thank god)... with the exception of hospitals associated with public med schools.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swmrbird View Post
I worked in a hospital where, though I'm not sure it was policy, encouraged you to pack a bag if bad weather was headed our way. If you were at work when the storm hit and couldn't make it home, they would find a place for you to sleep (not paid, not their fault you couldn't get home) and then you would either work the next day or possibly help cover shifts for people who couldn't make it in (2nd/3rd or next day 1st). You WERE paid if you were working. I was generally okay with this policy because it's common sense. If you can't leave and others can't get in, they were willing to pay the overtime while still adhering to the laws (getting 8 hrs between shifts, ect) so the work could get done.

No offense, but the weathermen are almost never right. I'd be pissed if I had to, say, come in and sleep at the hospital on Monday because a storm was predicted for Tuesday. What happens if the storm is late and is coming on Wednesday? I'm not staying another night there! I very highly doubt they can force you to stay at the hospital. I also don't think they can expect you to risk your lives to get INTO work during a storm. If it's reasonable to do so and you just need to leave earlier, then yes, get your butt to work. But if roads are closed and your house is under 15 ft of snow? Really? You can't call in? There's no way that's legal.
That was our prior policy actually. I thought it was fair too. Apparently now they're trying to be proactive instead of reactive and I have the same exact qualms with that.

Old 12-07-2013, 04:27 PM

I'm a pharmacist and we don't have a union. I'm not sure about nurses or miscellaneous other hospital workers. I'd have to assume they're not unionized either or they would be up in arms about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment