Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 05:00 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,866,501 times

Advertisements

In the white collar "corporate world," I've encountered a lot of yuppie types who are snobby (or at least I see them that way).

I invited one of my yuppie co-workers to eat at Subway the other day and she laughed at me and said it wasn't "chic." That was the word she used. Apparently it is low class of me to go to Subway, Jack in the Box, or a Chinese buffet for lunch. They all go to overpriced restaurants everyday and brag about eating at upscale sushi bars and the nearby Cafe Express (which is overpriced and has small portions).

They also have a certain way of talking. I call it yuppie speak. A watch is not a watch, it is a "timepiece." A clothing store is a "boutique shop." Wealthy people are "high net worth individuals." lol

The lady who sits next to me spent almost half an hour the other day whining because she had a first class plane ticket and wasn't able to board immediately.

Also, they never talk about going to the movie theater or going to the park for fun. Instead, they go to see plays or the opera on the weekend.

Tired of yuppies, even though I am one. I'm not a snobby yuppie though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 PM

841 posts, read 1,922,445 times
These are exactly the type of people who could never survive on unemployment/loss of a job without be devastated!

They don't have a frugal bone in their bodies.

I wonder how they'd like living on food stamps or shopping at the discount store for awhile. All their things wouldn't matter much then.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,759,277 times
Cool story.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 PM

428 posts, read 902,533 times
ewwww that doesnt sound fun at all... I think I would love to give all those people a reality check...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:01 PM

5,651 posts, read 19,402,255 times
Yeah, people like that like to think they are well off, some of the richest people I have known, dress like a step away from being a hobo. I saw this one dude yesterday in BK, he was about 70-80 yo range... dressed in clothes that looked like he bought them from Sears 20 years ago. Only clue he was rich, he was wearing a baseball cap that had the Bentley logo on it. This guy gets into the nicest car in the lot to leave: a loaded up range rover.
Another guy I know, he is a multi millionaire, same deal with the clothes. This guy has so much commercial real estate it is not funny... has never bought a brand new car. Always buys used. Still mows his own lawn and has never bought a new mower. He garbage picks old ones and fixes them up and uses those.
Another guy who is a well known millionaire around here, owns most of the part of one town... wears this old trench coat that is like 30 years old and he still drives an ancient cadillac because it is his lucky car.
People with the most money, are frugal, and they don't give a hoot about what people think they look like. It is fine to enjoy nice things but sounds like Your co-workers are posers.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:16 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,550,093 times
Your restaurant selection is not very appealing but they do some very obnoxious. How about seeing if they'll go to a place around $10 for lunch? Do you all make the same money?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,737,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
In the white collar "corporate world," I've encountered a lot of yuppie types who are snobby (or at least I see them that way).

I invited one of my yuppie co-workers to eat at Subway the other day and she laughed at me and said it wasn't "chic." That was the word she used. Apparently it is low class of me to go to Subway, Jack in the Box, or a Chinese buffet for lunch. They all go to overpriced restaurants everyday and brag about eating at upscale sushi bars and the nearby Cafe Express (which is overpriced and has small portions).

They also have a certain way of talking. I call it yuppie speak. A watch is not a watch, it is a "timepiece." A clothing store is a "boutique shop." Wealthy people are "high net worth individuals." lol

The lady who sits next to me spent almost half an hour the other day whining because she had a first class plane ticket and wasn't able to board immediately.

Also, they never talk about going to the movie theater or going to the park for fun. Instead, they go to see plays or the opera on the weekend.

And these are the same type of people who when they get laid off have no safety net to fall back on.

I also have found people who really have money don't talk about it.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:52 PM

977 posts, read 1,820,478 times
I can't stand snobby yuppies. I'm a yuppie myself, but more like a hipster frugal type yuppie. These snobby yuppies go out to eat every freakin' day, do they realize how much weight and expenses they could lose by making their own healthy lunch?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:45 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,435,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post

Tell those people that 1987 called and it wants its stereotypes back.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM

692 posts, read 1,008,920 times
I've found that most of the people who act this way did not grow up with money or the amenities that come with it. Once they have or think they have a few dollars and are around people of means they try to walk what they morph into Frasier and Niles. Ask any adult dragged to the ballet or the opera as a kid how much they go as an adult unless there is a charity link, they sit on a board or their name is on the building. Most people who grow up with buckets of cash don't give a crap as an adult cuz they are used to it and it is part of their life. There are always exceptions to that, but for the most part a watch is a watch. Theirs just cost $30k. A dress is a dress. Theirs was custom made by some designer's name that most people mispronounce and can only afford the perfume or a knock off bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment