Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 10:18 AM

130 posts, read 130,479 times

Advertisements

I have been in the professional office world for about 25 years and have had a incredible cast of characters as coworkers and bosses but my current supervisor beats them all. He just does not talk to anyone or acknowledge anyone unless it is work related. No hellos, smiles, nods, greetings or small talk in any way.

Since he has started our very social team, has talked about him non stop, they all say they have never seen anyone so unfriendly. We have tried to challenge each other to a contest- the first person to engage Ed in a non work related conversation lasting more than 10 seconds wins a prize. So far, none of us have had any luck. (We are all middle aged highly skilled college educated professionals.)

Yes, Ed, the boss can talk. He is quite talkative when he tells us what to do and complain about our work. But it ends there.

Management and organizational experts: What do you think of Ed's style of supervision and workplace communication?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 11:16 AM

258 posts, read 299,516 times
Maybe he is trying to lead by example of how he wants your 'very social team' to work..... that being 'quietly'.

I am one of those people who prefers not a lot of non- work interaction. I am by no means anti-social or an introvert- I just am way more efficient when I am not interrupted by a coworker wanting to talk about last night's episode of The Bachelor or their kids. Being aloof is not rude. It could also be that Ed wants/needs to set a professional line. If he got talkative, would anyone think he was getting in their business? These are things people in professional management should be thinking about.

Unless he is outright rude or nasty to you all, I would suggest not pushing your luck-- you could have a micro- managing Chatty Cathy (which would be worse, IMO).

Old 02-09-2016, 11:22 AM

130 posts, read 130,479 times
He does not even say good morning, good bye or hello and when he passes people in the hall first thing in the morning he does not smile or nod. Nothing.

Not just me, but the entire team.

Last edited by Just Conversation; 02-09-2016 at 11:34 AM..

Old 02-09-2016, 11:32 AM

258 posts, read 299,516 times
Then let Ed be. Some people just don't care to say hello.

Maybe he feels like people are watching his every move and he doesn't want to give you all any fodder for your little contest you all mentioned.

Maybe he just doesn't like you.

You're an adult. Get over it.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 PM

299 posts, read 350,365 times
Your group sounds extremely social-oriented, and Ed's at the other end of the spectrum being extremely task-oriented. Neither is right or wrong; however, it would probably benefit the entire group, including Ed, to understand how others view work, process, engagement, motivation, etc. Once you understand this, your approaches may change and you will all be successful in engaging each other. Just understand that Ed is probably uncomfortable with small-talk and chit-chat, and is a bottom-line, get-to-the-point type of person.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:01 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,478,579 times
My boss (Director of Engineering) and I frequently go drinking and tell dirty jokes. I like him

Old 02-09-2016, 01:18 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I don't want or need to know big details about their personal lives, but if you ask simple small talk questions and no one will answer, it looks overly stiff.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:36 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,790,414 times
Ever read the Dale Carnegie classic "How to win friends and influence people"? Look in Ed's office and see if there is anything in there to strike his fancy in order to get him to converse.

Not being very social and sharing many personal details is fine of course. But when someone doesn't conform to basic social norms (saying good morning and other things like that), that is out of the ordinary and deserves some examination. So I say, good for you for examining OP. Keep prodding.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:32 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,909 times
Maybe Ed says hello but what they really want is, "Hello, how are kids? what did you do last night?" so the actual hello isn't enough?

Old 02-09-2016, 03:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,498,910 times
I wish my boss wouldn't talk to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment