Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,451,864 times

Advertisements

So Ive established myself in my career with 3 years of experience so far, plus wife, house, soon to have kids, almost 30, Blah blah. But I find my career to be dull, and easy. Basically its not fulfilling to me at all because at the end of the day I havent really "done" anything.

So if I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, Id have gotten better grades in high school, gone to UF instead of FSCJ/UNF, and gone to Med School. I know several doctors and love chatting with them about what they do on a daily basis, let alone loving their mansions lol.

Anyone else on here have things they would do differently that youd like to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 07:28 AM

3 posts, read 3,938 times
I like my career field (I think, since I'm not in it professionally) but If I had to do it all again, I would have made more of an effort to get summer internships, even if it meant I had to pay for college credits. I would attend conferences to network and developed my own work during my time off. Hopefully that'd would've changed everything

Old 11-15-2013, 07:39 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,451,864 times
Ah good point. Even in my field I should have done an internship. I finally landed my first job 5 months after I graduated, I think an internship would have greatly sped that up. My field is one of those where: You graduate, apply for a job, and they ask why you dont have 3 years of experience.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:43 AM

12,117 posts, read 23,410,743 times
I would have enlisted in the Coast Guard instead of the Army and made a career out of it.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:04 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,157,460 times
I don't think I would have done anything different undergraduate wise, but I would have been more serious about my internships and professional networking, and I would have taken my first job more seriously and not gone out as much during the week.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,858 posts, read 81,878,104 times
I would not have done anything different either. My first career of 17 years started as a temp, but resulted in climbing the ladder with several promotions provided for buying our first and second homes and having 3 kids by age 33. My second, after a move of 1,100 miles was owning a business, using my more creative side for 16 years, and it got the kids through school and on their own. Now I have 5 years in as a manager doing work that combines the first two, and will be able to stay long enough to get a decent pension. I have found all 3 experiences to be challenging and interesting enough that I have never been bored with my work, though this last is the most fun and I wish I had found it sooner.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:01 AM

15,092 posts, read 10,184,091 times
I would have pretty much done the same with minor adjustments.

Instead of Computer Engineering, I would have gone Computer Science with a minor in Business or Finance.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:11 AM

398 posts, read 700,873 times
Yeah, I would go back and nix the 4-year BA liberal arts, and instead get a 2-year degree in health administration. I'd have had less to repay in loans, plus make the same or more $ than I do now as regular admin/sec. AND much more job opportunities, and job diversity. And "medical coder" still sounds better than "secretary"

Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,696,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
So Ive established myself in my career with 3 years of experience so far, plus wife, house, soon to have kids, almost 30, Blah blah. But I find my career to be dull, and easy. Basically its not fulfilling to me at all because at the end of the day I havent really "done" anything.

So if I could do it all over again knowing what I know now, Id have gotten better grades in high school, gone to UF instead of FSCJ/UNF, and gone to Med School. I know several doctors and love chatting with them about what they do on a daily basis, let alone loving their mansions lol.

Anyone else on here have things they would do differently that youd like to share?
I would have gone to med school too, if I had a do-over.

I'm a public school teacher (math) and I love teaching. Unfortunately, in the current political climate, I don't get to do what I know is best for kids and I hate that. I was actually accepted into an exclusive, competitive, medical program and declined it because I was so set on teaching. My brother, who is a doctor, had a fit when I made that decision.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:34 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,935,146 times
I took a couple of years of prelaw an if I had to do it over I probably would have finished and become an Attorney. I love giving advice and it would be nice to be paid for it.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment