Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 04:13 PM

67 posts, read 229,578 times

Advertisements

Okay, there was no part I, I wrote that because there was a similar type of thread but it was a different scenario and I didn't want to invade that one..

I"ve been on Unemployment in Hawaii for almost a good year. I have excellent skills, good marketing. software, design, charting, grafting, admin etc. There should be no reason I am unemployed, the economy is not particulary bad here. Low paying, yes, but there are jobs. I just am not getting called for them.

I have wanted to return to the mainland to my old city for awhile now. MOst people who know me know this and it has secretly been on my back burner for a year or two. I"ve saved some money, enough for several months, and I do have good contacts there. There are challenges though, housing there is tight and I'd have to airbnb it for awhile until I found something. I could NOT go there with a job lined up. Just not possible and I accepted that. I don't think I'd have too terrible of a time findinng something there. My good friend is a higher up at one of the largest companies there and alway says "I can get you in, even as a temp, but you can start from there".

But here in Honolulu, I am still applying, being on unemployment, and going on interviews if I get called. WHich has been a rare situation it seems.

So I had this interview the other day with a non profit. Very worthwhile cause and a global reach, helping others in Hawaii and globally. In fact, some of the doctors are leaving for Philippines soon to help out. Hit it off well with the exec director, and the person whose job I would be replacing. REally had a great interview, met many of the small staff, had a tour of the office, was talked to in a way that "oh , this is where you'll be sitting" and "here is a refrigerator for you to use" etc. I was asked to get them my references and when an hour later, I happened to bump into that exec director downtown walking and she said "dont forget to get us those references". I found out from a friend today she was called. I have a feeling I will get this position.

It feels good to be wanted. To interview and be your old self and ace an interview like I used to. It's been sorely missing here. I've always believed a bond you have with the interviewer pretty much seals the deal. I can look back at interviews here and already knew there wasn't a match. Maybe it's Hawaii and the fact Im not from here. Who knows.

But I kept thinking, what about my plans to leave Honolulu and reutrn to the mainland? There are many things I miss about it, and some things I dont like about living in Hawaii. I"ve been here 9 years and career wise I've stalled. Socially wise I did not do things like I should have. I started working out about six months ago and seeing great progress. I'd like to go back to the mainland looking great and feeling great. If I do indeed decide to return.

So that leaves me to this position.

Being on unemployment I would have to accept all jobs offered. It is a good $200 more per week than I get on unemployment, so obviously it is a better situation. The work is up my alley. No problem there. I've been underemployed for a good two years now. Never had this situation on the mainland. Hawaii is a 'who you know' type of place and maybe I did not play the game well. The opps here would be great, raise them to a higher level on social media, marketing, organizing their medical missions to far flung places. Fundraising, donor contact etc.

It's in a crappy area though. Me, who has always worked in downtowns and being close to a starbucks or food choices, would be in an area where I would have to bring my own food daily. No walking around downtown, basically being a prisoner at that location because there is nothing in a six block radius. No meeting people in elevators, seeing and being seen, because this is located in a one story building under a freeway pass lol. Seriously, the aesthetics of it are poor, but the job itself is good. It's not far from me at all, but in the Kalihi section of Honolulu. I certainly would save money though. No spending $6 a day at Starbucks, no spending $10 lunches, snacks in the morning and afternoon. I could truly get my body worked out, eating a paleo diet that I bring in, going to the gym after work like I presently do, Really getting my sh#t together. Using that saved money to invest in a social life (which I should have done better earlier on) or saving it. Clothing wise too, it's not in any area or any environment where you'd have to look nice. I tend to be a guy who likes clothes and dressing well, but it would be out of place there. Crocs anyone??

The dream to move back to the mainland is still there however, and I have this guilt knowing that I may still do that down the road, Six months? A year? Being on right now, the federal extensions of UI, it would have ended the end of this year and I would be forced to do something like move in January, but I certainly could use some more time to figure it all out. Maybe this position will be what I needed? Maybe it will save me in some way. Maybe I ll change my mind about leaving? I know there are no guarantees, and I figure if I am offered it and come in, I will make sure I document procedures to help someone out down the road. I do know they are in a rush to find somebody as well. The person is leaving Nov 30 and I was asked if offered, would I be able to start Monday the 25th ? lol. Ya think they would have had more time to figure this one out. The person leaving has been there for 20 years!

So, live life for the right now? Take care of yourself the best way you can? Or bend over backwards and say to yourself "well, I may leave down the road, which I have been planning" and respectfully decline on a what if. I certainly read that other thread and others suggested doing temp work. Trust me, I've had issues getting temp jobs, because I was with this agency for a few years and any new agency I apply with immediately wonders WHY that other agency cannot give me work. Also, temp jobs here pay an average of $4/5 less per hour, way less than I would make at this job. So that is not a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 04:52 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times
Is there a question?

You have to take any job offered, right. So take the job, save some money and keep planning your life. Give the job a year. If you want to move back to your old city, then move after giving the job a chance.

If your friend is a high up in a company and can get you guaranteed work, why haven't you moved already? You could have been saving a little from each unemployment check. All you need is the amount of a cheap plane ticket and enough to cover 2-3 weeks in a cheap hotel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment