Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2016, 06:52 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,602,822 times

Advertisements

What the title says. It appears that it seems that most people I've worked with most of my career are evenly divided. They're either long term company men/women, who are looking to grow with the company. Or there are people who really are actively trying to start their own businesses constantly. I've come to realize that I'm neither.

I am definitely not a company guy in the slightest. I do enjoy doing my work, but the minute I feel that my career is stagnant or I'm not learning anything new, I usually am ready to part ways with the company. I only like to deal with companies because it provides me insight about different businesses units, how they interact with each other, and how what I do contributes to the bottomline. However I'm not looking for any particular type of security from a company, and I don't get super excited if the company reach a benchmark or anything. I don't take a company victory as a personal victory.

On the other hand, I am also not a business owner. I already know first, I don't have many original ideas. I'm not insanely creative either. I don't have a grandiose big product that I think can change the world. I'm not good at raising money or even selling anything, and I'm also not a visionary. I feel a business owner has to be committed to a vision, but I'm really not.

I think I'm a weird mix of the 2. I don't mind getting money from a huge company as long as I can work indepdently. I feel that I'm more of a person who would be good at "running" a company more so than "building one". For example, I'm a very solutions driven person, which is why the whole idea of starting a business is kind of hard for me. There aren't any "problems" yet, just ideas.

I've always wondered if independent consulting is that middle ground, but info about how to get started as an independent consultant seems to be scattered. But based on the above, where do I find my center in terms of my professional life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 07:59 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,151,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I think I'm a weird mix of the 2. I don't mind getting money from a huge company as long as I can work indepdently. I feel that I'm more of a person who would be good at "running" a company more so than "building one". For example, I'm a very solutions driven person, which is why the whole idea of starting a business is kind of hard for me. There aren't any "problems" yet, just ideas.

I've always wondered if independent consulting is that middle ground, but info about how to get started as an independent consultant seems to be scattered. But based on the above, where do I find my center in terms of my professional life?
I'm not sure I see your "mix of the 2." I don't think people become consultants in many fields without paying their dues in the trenches acquiring knowledge and skills. Consultants are usually well into middle-age in my experience. And you have to be an expert in something to be one.

Your poo-pooing of work as "company guy" would concern any recruiter or hiring manager. Like you don't want to be part of a team, or a solid cog in a machine, or part of an organization.

The statement "I don't mind getting money from a huge company as long as I can work independently" is frankly hilarious. Like me saying, I don't mind having sex with my hot neighbor but I don't want to have to help her with stuff or talk to her.

I'm not trying to pick on you but I've seen your political and great debate posts and find you extremely philosophical. That stuff won't help you in real life even if you have some good ideas. You've just got to dig in, do the work, get on with the team and see what happens as you grow and gain experience.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,703 posts, read 81,547,262 times
I have done both, working my way up to management in an organization for 17 years, then owning a business for 16. Now I'm back as an employee but as a manager I am able to work pretty much independently, reporting to a director that leaves me alone and trusts my judgement. Perhaps if you hang in there long enough you can get to that point with your current employer. While I made a good living at the business, and raised 3 kids on that income, it would have done better if I had a hard sell attitude. I just didn't like to sell people on things they didn't need, just to make more money. Consulting requires extensive knowledge and experience that is helpful enough to others that they are willing to pay for it. It's natural for someone with vast experience who retires early, but consulting as an individual can have peaks and deep valleys in revenue. It's hard to market your services while doing the work.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I'm not sure I see your "mix of the 2." I don't think people become consultants in many fields without paying their dues in the trenches acquiring knowledge and skills. Consultants are usually well into middle-age in my experience. And you have to be an expert in something to be one.

Your poo-pooing of work as "company guy" would concern any recruiter or hiring manager. Like you don't want to be part of a team, or a solid cog in a machine, or part of an organization.

The statement "I don't mind getting money from a huge company as long as I can work independently" is frankly hilarious. Like me saying, I don't mind having sex with my hot neighbor but I don't want to have to help her with stuff or talk to her.

I'm not trying to pick on you but I've seen your political and great debate posts and find you extremely philosophical. That stuff won't help you in real life even if you have some good ideas. You've just got to dig in, do the work, get on with the team and see what happens as you grow and gain experience.
Well, I can see where some things I've said would have got lost in the original post. I didn't want the post to be too long, and I wanted to be as general as possible.

Career wise I am doing very well. I typically have no issues finding a job, and I get very competitive pay. I actually do like to go to different companies and learn their business model and philsophy. I am drive to learn new things. And when I want to think of solutions, I love being given the independence to figure it out on my own, without any hand holding. Because I'm so independent and don't require a lot of "ramp up time", I usually am a hit with my co-workers and management.

My problem is that I'm not really a company guy. I am just driven by challenges, and typically when my job is no longer challenging, I'm out putting my resume out there. Most jobs I leave is because I'm bored. And I understand that once a company gets stable, things do get boring. This is why I don't consider myself a company guy. I feel the company guy is going to really be able to tolerate boredom, and kind of get on board with just "collecting a check".

Old 09-22-2016, 08:32 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,151,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Well, I can see where some things I've said would have got lost in the original post. I didn't want the post to be too long, and I wanted to be as general as possible.

Career wise I am doing very well. I typically have no issues finding a job, and I get very competitive pay. I actually do like to go to different companies and learn their business model and philsophy. I am drive to learn new things. And when I want to think of solutions, I love being given the independence to figure it out on my own, without any hand holding. Because I'm so independent and don't require a lot of "ramp up time", I usually am a hit with my co-workers and management.

My problem is that I'm not really a company guy. I am just driven by challenges, and typically when my job is no longer challenging, I'm out putting my resume out there. Most jobs I leave is because I'm bored. And I understand that once a company gets stable, things do get boring. This is why I don't consider myself a company guy. I feel the company guy is going to really be able to tolerate boredom, and kind of get on board with just "collecting a check".
Well then maybe you are closer to being a consultant than I thought. Try to frame your expertise into something of a business plan and then try to find an agent (often a contracting or consulting company) for those skills. It can sometimes be done independently too, where you are your own agent... basically your own company. You can have some gaps in work though. Wish you luck...

Old 09-22-2016, 12:33 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,547,066 times
What's your problem? Get a job, get a check, move on when it makes sense. Be a consultant iif you want to but that is akin to starting your own business.

I don't understand the part about not being a company man. It's 2016. Who is a company man?

Old 09-22-2016, 12:37 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,571,368 times
sounds like OP is young, or has a young attitude in that he hasn't found a job he likes yet so he jumps around until he eventually finds one, it's just his way of exploring the world? Learning skills and wanting to push them until he finds his limits

Old 09-22-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
sounds like OP is young, or has a young attitude in that he hasn't found a job he likes yet so he jumps around until he eventually finds one, it's just his way of exploring the world? Learning skills and wanting to push them until he finds his limits
I'm 37, I'm not sure if that qualifies as "young".

Old 09-22-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
What's your problem? Get a job, get a check, move on when it makes sense.
This is my problem, I really can't just come in and collect a paycheck. I really feel like I need to actively be involved in stuff and really taking on new challenges. Lord knows I've tried to be "that guy" who just came in and collected a paycheck, and it just doesn't work for me. I hate the idea of my skills being under utilized that I honestly feel that I'm losing myself as a person when I try this.

Now keep in mind, I'm not married and I don't have any kids. So maybe that is why I don't really have the whole "just collect your check and go home mentality".

Old 09-22-2016, 02:10 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,693,299 times
Working, is, by it's nature, a demanding thing that can easily become hated just because it isn't pleasurable. We live in a society that cherishes our free time and shuns anything that impinges on that. You aren't all that different from most, you just happen to be in your younger years and struggling to find some relevance to work beyond the fact that it pays your way in the world. The truth of work is that most of us really do not find our laboring to be the fulfilling pastime we heard about in our school years, and, the college promise of that "great career."

Feeling as you do may call for a life of looking around for something that interests you outside of work, allowing yourself to be content with making a living while finding real enjoyment in music, art, sports, anything not connected to work. Often this can lead to that space wherein you "find" the thing that allows you to be "working" and playing at the same time. We tell kids to "follow their passion" but most have to work, and their passion subsides in the process. There is life after work, and one needn't be retired to experience that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment