Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 04:21 PM

6 posts, read 7,784 times

Advertisements

Upper management (CEO, CTO, Director, and Facility Manager) invite 3 Supervisor's to a dinner to discuss roles and company as well as a thank you for their hard work.
Invites in outlook are sent out 3 weeks prior. All are aware.
The night of the dinner, everyone but one supervisor shows up to the restaurant. Everyone sits at the table wondering where the supervisor is. The Facility Manager calls and texts, but no response.
On monday, the Director speaks with the supervisor and the supervisors response is "i was tired and didn't feel like going" .
Although it is known that the supervisor is not very social and is shy, this is just plain rude and disrespectful. The supervisor is GREAT at their job regarding work productivity and knowledge.

wondering how to deal with this situation. The supervisor didn't violate a company policy directly, but this is just rude.

Any input or help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: The supervisor accepted the invite. The supervisor never called or informed anyone he would not be attending. So, everyone was waiting at the table. Then they started trying to contact him.

Last edited by work_here; 11-18-2013 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 04:27 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,268,598 times
I don't know what role you play in this and why you feel you need to do something but I suggest you thank the supervisor for being "GREAT at their job regarding work productivity and knowledge. "

Old 11-18-2013, 04:28 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,773,801 times
Since the guy is great at his job just leave him alone. The guy's purpose is to make the company money, not to be social. And even if he did show disrespect he did it on his own time and it's his business.

Is this about business (which the person in question seems to be doing quite capably) or is it personal?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:31 PM

1,420 posts, read 3,187,845 times
Moderator cut: thread moved

I am assuming he replied he'd be attending.

Somebody should tell him that was rude and could have resulted in unnecessary hassles looking for him - like maybe if he had had an accident.

Last edited by Count David; 11-18-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 11-18-2013, 04:32 PM

so, accepting to go to a dinner with upper management, then just not showing up to it without kindly declining or saying he wont be there, is ok?
i guess if there isn't an interest to move up in the company or give a good impression to the CEO, then this is ok?

Old 11-18-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by work_here View Post
i guess if there isn't an interest to move up in the company or give a good impression to the CEO, then this is ok?
Right. Besides, the best way to impress a capable boss is to do your job well.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:58 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,205,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work_here View Post
so, accepting to go to a dinner with upper management, then just not showing up to it without kindly declining or saying he wont be there, is ok?
I am also from the "old school". If you change your mind, then you notify the person that invited you. It is common sense and even good workers should be expected to show courtesy. It is what adults do.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I am also from the "old school". If you change your mind, then you notify the person that invited you. It is common sense and even good workers should be expected to show courtesy. It is what adults do.
In a perfect world, yeah. But I'll take a discourteous person who makes me money every time. Get the money, that's the object of the exercise.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:45 PM

1,319 posts, read 2,199,025 times
All you do is tell the person that they should have let someone know if they change with mind to attend and that would be a good practice going forward.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:16 PM

irishtom, interesting view. But i feel otherwise. IMHO, a business works best with team players. That's how the business grows. I'll take an enthusiastic and interested employee who knows less but is willing to learn more over a brilliant employee that is all about themselves who has no manners, any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment