Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:36 PM

1,574 posts, read 3,304,273 times

Advertisements

I'll take "Most awkward and inappropriate questions from the first day at a new job" for $1,000, Alex!

I kid you not. I'd spent the morning filling out forms, and the first half of the afternoon on a video conference call with other new hires. I was in my new cube getting things set up around 3pm and the nice 55-ish lady I'd been introduced to earlier pops in. She hems and haws for a moment, noting its a difficult question, then comes out with it. "Do you have any objections to discussions about Christ? Because sometimes there will be some."

WTF?

I thought quickly about how to position myself in the DMZ zone with my response. I didn't want to seem too shocked, lest I be tagged forever as that new Heathen girl who sits next to Marvin. But I also didn't want to seem too happy about it, lest I get I get invited to every prayer circle and everyone's church and Sunday school class. I think I landed nicely in the middle with "Well, I won't participate, but I have no problem with what people do on their own." She seemed happy with that answer and as she was leaving, said "you just never know these days."

Again, WTF?

This is a private company, 2,000 employees, HQ in the midwest, with our department having a great deal to do with risk and liability for businesses (irony much?). Oh, and . . . Wait for it . . . She's a supervisor (not mine).

I mean, I know it's the South, the Bible Belt and all, but come on. It's also almost 2014. I'm guessing someone must have complained in the past. And rather than tone down what is pretty inappropriate anyway, her choice is to double down and weed out the troublemakers on day one? Geesh. I know I can report it, etc., but I plan to stay here for at least a few years. Once I've been here for 6 months or so and am one of the gang, and have seen whatever "Christ talk" apparently transpires, I plan to mention to her that she might reconsider her approach, as the approach itself could be deemed offensive.

Anyway, how was everyone else's day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,265,992 times
The appropriate response would have been "I'm glad to know religious discussions are OK. I always enjoy talking about Satan, my master."

Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 PM

389 posts, read 695,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
I'll take "Most awkward and inappropriate questions from the first day at a new job" for $1,000, Alex!

I kid you not. I'd spent the morning filling out forms, and the first half of the afternoon on a video conference call with other new hires. I was in my new cube getting things set up around 3pm and the nice 55-ish lady I'd been introduced to earlier pops in. She hems and haws for a moment, noting its a difficult question, then comes out with it. "Do you have any objections to discussions about Christ? Because sometimes there will be some."

WTF?

I thought quickly about how to position myself in the DMZ zone with my response. I didn't want to seem too shocked, lest I be tagged forever as that new Heathen girl who sits next to Marvin. But I also didn't want to seem too happy about it, lest I get I get invited to every prayer circle and everyone's church and Sunday school class. I think I landed nicely in the middle with "Well, I won't participate, but I have no problem with what people do on their own." She seemed happy with that answer and as she was leaving, said "you just never know these days."

Again, WTF?

This is a private company, 2,000 employees, HQ in the midwest, with our department having a great deal to do with risk and liability for businesses (irony much?). Oh, and . . . Wait for it . . . She's a supervisor (not mine).

I mean, I know it's the South, the Bible Belt and all, but come on. It's also almost 2014. I'm guessing someone must have complained in the past. And rather than tone down what is pretty inappropriate anyway, her choice is to double down and weed out the troublemakers on day one? Geesh. I know I can report it, etc., but I plan to stay here for at least a few years. Once I've been here for 6 months or so and am one of the gang, and have seen whatever "Christ talk" apparently transpires, I plan to mention to her that she might reconsider her approach, as the approach itself could be deemed offensive.

Anyway, how was everyone else's day?
I live in the South and am not at all shocked about this, as I have had religion mentioned in multiple job interviews and work environments before...

Old 12-12-2013, 02:17 AM

18 posts, read 27,521 times
I had a similar situation when I had a job between college and graduate school in the public sector. We had an employee development day and they had a bunch of information sessions we had to sit in on. A class I chose to sit in on was on preparing for retirement. The woman giving the presentation went on a rant for half an hour about tithing, christ and following his plan for your life. I live in Texas and have seen a whole spectrum of attitudes towards religion and all I can say is I would never assume anything. I would say as little as possible about religion and only be on the offense as a last resort.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,577,535 times
It's not that deep. Tell her you're not interested and move on. You're over thinking it. If it happens again or if you feel bothered, report it. By the way, is this a religious based company? Have you looked at the company's mission statement?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:52 AM

2,633 posts, read 6,414,635 times
Report what? Did this cause you any loss?

Old 12-12-2013, 05:56 AM

206 posts, read 405,376 times
I'm with the OP on this. It made her uncomfortable but she handled it Just Right.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,304,273 times
No, not a Christian/religious-based company. And I've been in the South working, living and breathing for 20+ years, so I understand how religion permeates everyday life here. I think I was just taken aback by the approach on day one. By the idea of a supervisor putting a new hire on the spot about something like that. THAT part is new to me. I'm thinking of hanging a mezuzah on the door to my cube

Old 12-12-2013, 06:08 AM

1,140 posts, read 1,305,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Report what? Did this cause you any loss?
Exactly. How is it any different that employees talking about football or politics?

Old 12-12-2013, 06:51 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,453,033 times
Wow, that is odd. I guess you just have to be as indiscriminate as possible and try to block out those conversations that make you feel comfortable. Just remain neutral; don't let them pick up any strange vibes from you. Otherwise, you might make it to the top of their hit list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment