Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 10:48 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,256,714 times

Advertisements

1. My stock is built up and I want to start taking clear and appealing pictures.

What cameras do you use? What kind of lighting? Do you use props?

I'm going to be selling jewelry. I want to find the right camera with the proper zoom (at reasonable price), and anything you can tell me to allow my product to pop!

2. Do you use the "square" or other service to allow you to take orders with your cell phone? Is the cost reasonable monthly? Is it reliable? Details welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 07:56 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,962,614 times
I use a regular Sony digital camera.. And I do not use props.. Have been selling stuff for years.. And it doesn't matter if you have a professional photographer take the pics, if nobody's buying you ain't selling....

Old 11-24-2013, 08:06 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,256,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
I use a regular Sony digital camera.. And I do not use props.. Have been selling stuff for years.. And it doesn't matter if you have a professional photographer take the pics, if nobody's buying you ain't selling....
I have confidence my stuff will sell It's a darn good product.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:30 PM

19 posts, read 27,598 times
I've used plain ole' digital cameras in the past to sell my stuff 'online', but then again, that was ebay some years ago, so its not like the product had to really 'snap' or 'pop' to really get the viewers attention...as of late, I used a relatively old Kodack camera to snatch pics of my fiance's Amazon to upload to Craigslist and they came out pretty good...of course, I also took the time to properly optimize my title and description, so the viewers/readers who were looking for that type of bird were able to easily find the ad.

You could have the cure for Cancer, but if your perspective customer's can't find what it is you're selling...you're doomed to fail!

Old 11-25-2013, 09:05 AM

24 posts, read 32,100 times
I actually have some pretty extensive experience with taking good photos for an online listing.

1) Create a clean environment in the photo. NOTHING ELSE but the item and whatever it sits on should be in the photo- no pencils, not your hand, your drink, not even other sale items (That can be confusing).

2) You want whatever is in the image to be clean. Don't photograph something that's just randomly sprawled onto your desk and covered in dust - that tells people you don't give a s--t. In the case of jewelry, A flat black satin or silky object might make a good backdrop. Something classyand contrasting, but not distracting from your item. Also, if you're going to sell lots of things, use the same backdrop setup each time - consistency looks professional, and buyers will feel more confident and able to trust that you know what you're doing and what you're selling.

3) As for the photos themselves, these days, virtually any modern camera can do the job, but you should be concious and attentive to something called the "White Balance". A camera with good white balance defaults can adjust for most common lighting environments no matter what you choose to do, and make them look clean and correct.

Just three solid tips for you - hope it helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment