Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,783,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
He likes computers but he doesn't want to program or anything like that.
Sometimes we have to do jobs we don't "want" to do but there's a big gap between not wanting to do something and being unable to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,238,833 times
My son has autism, not Asperger's, but part of the spectrum in general is the inability to relate socially and need everything to be absolutely concrete/real, rather than abstract. For example, tell them that it's "raining cats and dogs" and they might wonder why the hell a cat would be falling down the sky? So, start from that perspective. What is logical, concrete, real, doesn't require social innuendo.

How are his school grades? Something with repetitive lab work/entry work would probably be suitable. If he doesn't mind being outside, construction/equipment operation/trucking is also a good choice.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,605,817 times
What are some of his interests? Perhaps a job related to one of them that relates to him categorizing info might be good.

Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,492,870 times
Someone can bring up almost any job, and someone will say that it requires you to do this and that with people. There are still jobs that are better for people on the autism spectrum and introverts even if they require a little human interaction. Some types of human interaction are better than others for people who are drained of energy when socializing. I'm not autistic, but I am an introvert. I am terrible at small talk, but I am in my comfort zone when I'm having a deep conversation on a topic of interest. My professor said that most of the professors he's encountered in the social sciences are introverts, but some people will incorrectly argue that it's generally a bad job for introverts. I'm sure one would come across a lot of introverted professors in the STEM fields too. I currently teach college courses and am doing fine.

This is a great list of the top 200 jobs for introverts. It gives expected growth, average salary, and number of job openings.
Career Laboratory: 200 Best Jobs for Introverts, Updated

This is a list of good and bad jobs for people with Asperger's.
http://www.myaspergerschild.com/2010...aspergers.html

Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 AM

858 posts, read 1,811,085 times
data-entry would be great.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:44 AM

6,886 posts, read 7,910,367 times
I work in a library and we have a page (checks in the book drop and shelves books) who is an Aspie. She does just fine, minimal social contact requirements and very concrete job description. Once she gets used to regular employees she is fine with conversation. She is rattled by any change in routine but the boss takes time to help her adjust. Librarians tend to be kind and sensitive people who don't come on too strong.

There are plenty of library jobs that require minimal socialization and use computers and a consistent, organized work flow.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,156,401 times
medical coding
stocking shelves
inventory
office cleaning
hotel maid
car washing at dealership
quality control

--just a few guesses

Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM

6,710 posts, read 5,958,516 times
I read an article once about a person with mental disabilities who got a job minding a chicken coop. It was perfect; the work was simple, straightforward, easy to learn, and he was happy. I forget where I read about it, it was a long time ago.

Too bad we are so much less agricultural than we used to be. I'd bet there used to be a lot more jobs like that to accommodate people with these kinds of disabilities.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,238,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Too bad we are so much less agricultural than we used to be. I'd bet there used to be a lot more jobs like that to accommodate people with these kinds of disabilities.
My husband and I were just talking about this the other day, our autism son would have made the best farmer's helper. Should've been born 250 years earlier.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomatic View Post
I disagree. He sounds like he will have a problem solving complex problems that requires research, asking questions, interacting and working with others to resolve.
I speak from personal experience; I have a son in his 20s with Asperger's. He has a sky high IQ but zero social skills. Computer programming is all he cares about in life. He excels at it but unfortunately it's all he excels at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment